• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Looking to buy a IWB holster.
    So far I "think" I narrowed the choice's down to 2.
    Super Tuck. Or the Comp Tac Minataur.
    Both look to be nice concealment carry holsters.
    Both have good remarks on here.
    Does anyone have or use both to help make a deccision?
    Jeesh, Deciding on a holster is tougher then deciding on a gun:)

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I ordered a crossbreed supertuck for a Glock 26(that I don't have yet). I plan on using it in the winter with a 26 and a 19. The holster should be here this week since I ordered it a month ago. I'll keep you posted how it works out.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I don't have your answer, but I'm curious about the same question. I'm looking at the same two for my Glock 22.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    A bad holster can ruin your ability to comfortably carry. I've yet to find a good one for my Glock 26 so I'm curious to see how this turns out.

cobra what kind of gun are you thinking about?

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I'm looking for a holster for my SIG 228. I would like something that I can grab from the safe with the gun in it and then 'holster' and 'cover' for a quick concealed carry in the home. Anyone have any thoughts on the Fobus paddle holsters with a retention button?

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    Guns are like hammers, you buy one that fits you well and does the job you want done. Holsters though are like a tool belt, they have to be comfortable for hours and hours and allow quick and easy access to the hammer. That's what makes it hard to find.
    I'm curious also, I'm sold on the Mitch Rosen series but always open for other ideas.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'm looking for a holster for my SIG 228. I would like something that I can grab from the safe with the gun in it and then 'holster' and 'cover' for a quick concealed carry in the home. Anyone have any thoughts on the Fobus paddle holsters with a retention button?

I have a Comp-Tac paddle holster I use for IDPA. It is a quality piece of kit- first rate. It doesn't have a locking retention system, but my S&W M&P "locks" and "unlocks" very positively. I mean it "snaps" in and out on presentation and re-holstering, very securely and confidently. I doubt you need more retention around the house. Being a paddle design, it's pretty easy to put on and take off, yet stays securely in place and doesn't try to wander around. It is a very solid one-piece construction, which I can not imagine being broken by an attacker.

I think the Fobus holsters have a poor reputation. There's a you tube video showing a guy snapping one right off another guy's waist, in a simulated sudden-grab attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

I don't think that attack would work on a Comp-Tac.

To me, the holster and pistol are parts of a system that work together. If the balloon goes up at oh-dark thirty, it's good to have your pistol in a good holster you can easily slip on to the waist band of whatever pants you're wearing (or in my case, can grab quickly). I recommend you check out the Comp-Tac.

------------------------

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    The main carry will be a Glock 26. Secondary carry a XD.

Seems like I'm not the only one interested in this question.
    Guess thats to be expected in a state where aside from a few. Most only carry out of state so we have limited time to try and wear a IWB holster.

Price between the two is within a few dollars.
    Both have adjustable retention systems.
    Both similar design.
    Even the choice of belt clips similar,from full hook,J hook or velcro hook belt attachment.
    Both makers stress haveing the right belt for best function.
    Right now I'm leaning towars the Super Tuck.
    Mainly since it's holster is made of leather opposed to a composite material.
    Not a make or break deal. Just allways prefered leather in a holster.

As a side note I do have and use an inexpensive clip on IWB holster that I use on ocassion. Don Hue makes some nice holsters. It does the job but want something to go the distance so to speak,along with being a true CC holster for everyday carry while being comfortable.
    Thanks for the input:)

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have both the Supertuck and the Mtac. I originally bought the Mtac because I liked the idea of being able to switch the Kydex portion to acomidate different guns without having to buy a bunch of holsters... It's good holster but with the XD40 I normally carry it seemed a little unsturdy. It was great with the Khar K40 which is a smaller gun. The only real gripe I had with it was the C-clips would dig into my hip bone because they are not wide enough to stay parallel with my belt as I use nylon belts.

I also bought a supertuck for the XD40 and I prefer it over the Mtac for comfort by a fairly wide margin.... I went with the horsehide version and the standard cut. The hoslter itself is single ply vs. the two ply of the Mtac which make it thinner and it is also larger which makes it more stable with larger guns, the clips are wider which fixed my main problem with the Mtac but it is a little slower to get a good grip with because of the cut. It also seem to show a lot less wear, I've worn it probably close to a year and used the Mtac for about three months but the Supertuck is still closer to looking new. A lot of that is probably due to the stiffer horsehide though....

Anyway, larger gun I'd recommend the supertuck but for something smaller or if you want the versatility I'd say things even out a little more between the two. Both conceal very well and have plenty of adjustment. :thumbsup:

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I have a Comp-Tac paddle holster I use for IDPA. It is a quality piece of kit- first rate. It doesn't have a locking retention system, but my S&W M&P "locks" and "unlocks" very positively. I mean it "snaps" in and out on presentation and re-holstering, very securely and confidently. I doubt you need more retention around the house. Being a paddle design, it's pretty easy to put on and take off, yet stays securely in place and doesn't try to wander around. It is a very solid one-piece construction, which I can not imagine being broken by an attacker.

I think the Fobus holsters have a poor reputation. There's a you tube video showing a guy snapping one right off another guy's waist, in a simulated sudden-grab attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

I don't think that attack would work on a Comp-Tac.

To me, the holster and pistol are parts of a system that work together. If the balloon goes up at oh-dark thirty, it's good to have your pistol in a good holster you can easily slip on to the waist band of whatever pants you're wearing (or in my case, can grab quickly). I recommend you check out the Comp-Tac.

------------------------
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    In have 2 Supertucks for my Glocks (G22 and G30) and a Comp-Tac MTAC for my full size Kimber TLE

They are functionally the same but the MTAC has a nicer finished look. Since I use the holsters for CCW, appearance is not a big issue for me.

The MTAC allows you to swap out kydex shells for different guns but I viewed that as too time consuming because I didn't want to have to swap shells if I wanted to carry a different gun. hence i bought two Supertucks and then an MTAC

Both company's CS is excellent by the way. I bought the MTAC just to see any differences. Not huge at all.

docB

Jun 27, 2009
    Southern MD
    i use a minotaur mtac holster for my glock 23, when i first got it i was worried about retention issues, but once i started wearing it ive had no issues, i can wear it all day/ driving all day and almost forget its there..just remember with an IWB you may wanna wear a size larger in your pants/shorts otherwise it can be pretty snug

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    My Supertuck came in yesterday and I carried my Glock 19 in it for about 5 hours. It really is amazing. I've tried a bunch of holsters and it always felt like I was trying to smuggle a brick in my pants. The supertuck distributes the weight evenly, so it doesn't pull in one particular spot. I bought it with the idea that a Glock 26 would be the perfect carry weapon, but it does such a good job hiding the 19 comfortably that I might just use it for that. The ONLY reason the 26 would be better is for hiding the grip print when you bend over. For me, the grip of the 19 prints a bit when I bend over all the way. The most amazing feature of the holster is the ability to tuck your shirt in. I probably wont use that feature since my primary motive is summer carry in Florida, but you could tuck a dress shirt or polo shirt and and the gun disappears. The only downside to tucking it in is seeing the metal clips, but there are other options to hide those as well.

Looking to buy a IWB holster.
    So far I "think" I narrowed the choice's down to 2.
    Super Tuck. Or the Comp Tac Minataur.
    Both look to be nice concealment carry holsters.
    Both have good remarks on here.
    Does anyone have or use both to help make a deccision?
    Jeesh, Deciding on a holster is tougher then deciding on a gun:)

I carry daily and when I go IWB it often a minotaur. Comp-tac has also made all of my IDPA holsters. I have 3 "shells" for the minotaur so it fits my G26, M&P9c, and Kahr PM9 (the kahr really disappears with this rig).

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    A bad holster can ruin your ability to comfortably carry. I've yet to find a good one for my Glock 26 so I'm curious to see how this turns out.

The pictures are of a Kramer Horsehide IWB #3 for the G26. This holster is comfortable for all day carry, and you have a lot of latitude in your covering garment, as the diminutive size of the gun helps make it disappear. Even with the small G26, you get a reasonable presentation on draws. In addition to CCW, I use this combo for BUG division in IDPA, with reasonable success.

Apologies for the weak camera-fu I possess today. I'm at work and only camera is on my phone.

Attachments

• g1.jpg
      g1.jpg
      42.9 KB · Views: 303
    • g2.jpg
      g2.jpg
      42.2 KB · Views: 297
    • g3.jpg
      g3.jpg
      76.8 KB · Views: 344
    • g5.jpg
      g5.jpg