• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick
    I'm becoming more and more jealous of you EBR guys everyday. :envy: You and big assortment of toys and trimmings. I've searched around and have had a hard time finding furniture for my PTR 91. I can find tons of surplus stocks and hand guards, (which by the way the hand guard will not go cleanly onto the rifle) and the occasional Magpul stock. But the selection seems thin. Has anyone found a good source with some choices?

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    CRX,

Have you looked at Gun Broker? Also, what types of accessories are you looking for? I have a HK-91 clone, so maybe I can help.

+1 on Low Recoil's recommendations. I've used the first one with excellent results.

Q

Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick
    mainly I'm looking for furniture. Hand guards and stocks. My PTR is about 3-4 years old, and my hand guard has the fit and build of a cracker jack prize. Now that is the only negative thing I have to say about the PTR, but it's annoying none the less.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I have the machined rail forend that is offered by JLD/PTR, and it seems ok, but my cocking tube is an older style on my rifle, and it isn't secured that well, but I managed to use some ingenuity to get it stable. Your rifle should be ok because it has the pin clip near the front sight. Helps with hanging stuff all over it.

Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick
    You said the rail hand guard was "ok". Any deficiencies, or ergonomic problems? The guard I have now functions fine, (I guess it doesn't have the hardest of jobs), I just don't like how cheap it looks and feels. I also noticed the wide black hand guards on the sites listed above, have you had any hands on experience with those?

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    No, mine came with the thin forend. As for the ok aspect, the rail forend is fine and good quality, it's my clone that's the issue. It doesn't have the clip to put the front pin through, so it floats in between the barrel and cocking tube. I've secured a new cocking tube with a clip, so I will send it off to a competent gunsmith to fix this shortly. For the time being, I've used the clear vinyl circles/feet to stablize it. Haven't really heard anything bad about it. You may want to check out http://www.HKPro.com to see if they have anything to say about it. They have a section for clones and such. I like mine.

I haven't put the wide forends on, but you may want to be careful about putting non-US parts on your JLD. I don't know if they(the rifles) fall under the 922r restrictions. I would rather go with the US made rail forend.

Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick
    I haven't put the wide forends on, but you may want to be careful about putting non-US parts on your JLD. I don't know if they(the rifles) fall under the 922r restrictions. I would rather go with the US made rail forend.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm..... good point. I don't know enough to risk it.

Have you seen any of the Magpul or Tapco Stocks? I've only seen the tapco once, but have found the magpul a few places.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I've got a Top Notch MSG-90 knock-off. I need to tweak it because the buttstock extension slips a little. Nothing a little ingenuity can't take care of. I would like to see the magpul stock, looks like a PSG-1 stock, and probably wouldn't shift like the Top Notch one. The Top Notch ones aren't being made anymore, but may pop up on Ebay, Gunbroker, or other auction site (probably selling it for the Magpul Stock).

Is there any particular way you want to set up your 91?

Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick
    As of right now it's my only rifle so I don't want to pigeon hole it into one role. I really just want to tidy it up. Eventually I'd like to lean in the PSG-1 direction, but I'll need to expand my arsenal before that happens.

As of now, (still without getting my hands on anything, but seeing a little more), I'm thinking a Magpul and a JLD rail forend may be the best bet.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Sounds like a plan. IIRC, When JLD came out with the rail forend, there was an additional ring they sold to tighten up/lock down the forend for mounting lasers and aiming devices. They may have incorporated it into the new forends. You may want to call and/or email them about this. It's worth the money to have rails.

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    Your only rifle??? Before you spend hundreds of $$ on a PSG grip, you might want to get another gun. PTR has a website that you can order from if you need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom