• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I was wondering if someone could educate me a little. Why is the HK 416 so popular? What makes it so reliable? And, what would someone have to do to their Ar-15 style rifle to make it as reliable?

Thank you.

:thumbsup:

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    It's an HK. As good as it gets with quality. Gas operated which some on here don't care for. Get the civilian version: HK MR556.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    It's an HK. As good as it gets with quality. Gas operated which some on here don't care for. Get the civilian version: HK MR556.

All 5.56 ARs are gas operated. The Hk is piston operated as opposed to the standard DI system. The Hk is reliable because it's built to their German OCD standards.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    All 5.56 ARs are gas operated. The Hk is piston operated as opposed to the standard DI system. The Hk is reliable because it's built to their German OCD standards.

I'm learning about the systems now.

So, the Barrett Rec-7 resembles the HK 416 more?

Thanks.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Piston ARs have many well-documented operating issues. HKs I haven't heard much about them. But your standard issues apply. Proprietary parts, long wait times for broken parts etc etc. Oh and the MR556 is neutered with a different operating system that won't accept a mil spec full auto upper so that's a big knock against it. Hard to swap uppers. Screw instead of take down pins. But it's used by the SEALs. So are forks whoop dee doo.
    To get any AR to run reiiably used synthetic motor oil on the BCG. Use a NiB BCG and mid or rifle length gas.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I'm learning about the systems now.

So, the Barrett Rec-7 resembles the HK 416 more?

Thanks.

Yes. The Hk416, the Rec-7, as well as the LWRC M6, are all piston operated rifles. They are more reliable and operate cooler than direct impingement rifles, however they lose some accuracy and may have slightly more recoil over the DI system.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    From what I hear about people who know what they are talking about, the HK416 is the only trustworthy piston operated AR.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    From Wiki:

"It is incorrectly believed that the AR-15/M16 rifle designed by Eugene Stoner uses a direct impingement action. In the Stoner system covered by U.S. Patent 2,951,424 Stoner specifically states that the action is not direct impingement saying ″This invention is a true expanding gas system instead of the conventional impinging gas system.″[1] Gas is routed from a port in the barrel directly to a chamber formed in the bolt carrier. The bolt acts as the piston and is sealed with small automobile-style piston rings. It is a gas piston system without an operating rod."

Does the video below accurately describe the difference between the DI and gas piston systems as seen today?

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I would stick with the DI, not an expert but its worked since the early 60's. If you buy a quality brand and keep up on the maintenance there should be no issue

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    In other words... DI still the only way to go for a layman?

:o

I wouldn't go that far. Piston guns are fine, just buy one from a maker with a reputation; i.e. Hk, LWRC, Barrett, Ruger. It's some of the smaller companies as well as the piston conversion kits for DI rifles that have issues.

That said, there is nothing wrong with a DI rifle for 99% of AR owners. The benefits of the piston system are really only note worthy for, well, Navy Seals and the like. Those folks are shooting full auto and working in extremely adverse conditions.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    It shares characteristics of a DI and piston system but is most close to a piston system. But as it uses gas as opposed to an operating rod so it's referred to as a DI.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    For what little it may be worth, I do have an LWRC M6A2 and have put several hundred rounds through it. No issues thus far. It's my only piston AR and it's nice. Definitely heavier in the front end but so far very reliable. I bought it more just to have something different and unique and got a decent deal on it. But it doesn't seem better than a traditional AR by leaps or bounds. If anything, It's pretty much the same except for the weight. Not a big deal to me but something to consider. Personally, if piston is what you want, I think the SCAR would be a better choice. My $.02

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    It's a good rifle. It's not the end all be all of AR's. I went through armorer's school with a naval HK armorer. He wasn't all that thrilled with it. Said it was very fussy about magazines and it was an issue he was tired of dealing with. The AR platform generates plenty of gas pressure, adding a piston doesn't necessarily add anything except a pound of extra weight. Just my .02. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom