• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    Has anyone recently purchased a Hi Point Carbine in MD? My dealer says that they are a regulated firearm and wants me to do the paperwork and waiting period. I have a copy of the MD firearm law and do not see this on the list of regulated firearms. Anyway I want to get one and put the Advanced Technology Stock and trick it out. Any comments...

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    I don't see it either

http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/assault_weapons.pdf

WESTMD- Good question. I don't see it either. The problem is do they consider it a clone of something else? Knowing a little about this gun, it was designed from the bottom up, so logic says it isn't.

If you already put $$$ down, your options might be limited. After all, your dealer has your cash.

However, you could start by calling the MSP firearms division and asking them straight out if the carbine is regulated.

Direct questions to:
    Maryland State Police
    Firearms Registration Section
    7751 Washington Boulevard
    Jessup, Maryland 20794
    (410) 799-0191

Remember that just being told over the phone isn't good enough. If you have time and haven't committed money, write the above address and plainly ask them if the carbine is regulated. You will probably get a response in 2-3 weeks. If your dealer is cool, ask him to call or show him the response (which is on MSP letterhead.) Or say hell with it and do the background and probably get the gun sooner.

It sounds like your dealer is covering his ass to me. To his/her credit - better safe than sorry in this gun-ninny state, but it is a shame they won't dig a little deeper for their customers.

WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    Thanks Spot77. I thought so this is the same dealer that will not transfer a Rock Island because it is not on the Roster. Anyway I think you are correct that he is just doing a C.Y.A. on the carbine. No money down with this dealer, but he does give me great pricing on everthing that I purchase.
    I think I will transfer a carbine in from SOG to another dealer that will do a cash and carry.

Thanks again for the info.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The Carbine is not currently a regulated firearm.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Ditto, it is not. And if your dealer is too lazy to pick up the phone and ask Waterloo I would take all my business elsehwere.

BTW, I have one with the ATI stock and it is AWESOME. Never jams and its accurate as can be. I just wish I could get a bigger mag for it. But still well worth 200 bucks.

WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    Thanks everyone. I knew the Hi point was an accurate fun carbine. I think I will go to WV and pick one up at Dunhams next weekend. They even have the Advanced Tech stock for 64.95.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Thanks everyone. I knew the Hi point was an accurate fun carbine. I think I will go to WV and pick one up at Dunhams next weekend. They even have the Advanced Tech stock for 64.95.

I'm pretty sure there is a dunhams out there in western maryland. I know the dunhams in Hanover PA wont sell anything to MD residents because "We dont have the phone number for the Md state police". I'd like to take a visit to the one in Md soon.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Fun Gun...

ATIStocked995andStorm.jpg

Cx4 on top, HiPoint 995 with ATI stock on bottom, both are cash and carry. I found the ATI stock for $49 on sale online. They are both fun guns and the kids like to shoot them. My 12 year old daughter loves the 995 with red dot and can hit a plate sized target at 50 yds with every trigger pull.

BTW, Bass Pro has Winchester White Box, 100 rounds, on sale for 12.99, I just picked up a case for these babies. Time for some more family time at the range!

-Boxcab

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    BTW, Bass Pro has Winchester White Box, 100 rounds, on sale for 12.99, I just picked up a case for these babies. Time for some more family time at the range!

-Boxcab

I just ordered some myself, but apparently it's on backorder right now... Still, that's a pretty damn good price and worth the wait compared to anyone that sells ammo here in MoCo.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county

-Boxcab

I was up there last night and they where out of stock of the 9 mm so i got a raincheck, but i did pick up 3 cases of the .40 s&w they had for 18.99 per 100

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Still non-regulated. But good luck finding one! I work at a gun shop we can't get any in, well at least in 9mm or .45ACP. .40 S&W doesn't sell as well but even they are hard to get.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Has anyone recently purchased a Hi Point Carbine in MD? My dealer says that they are a regulated firearm and wants me to do the paperwork and waiting period. I have a copy of the MD firearm law and do not see this on the list of regulated firearms. Anyway I want to get one and put the Advanced Technology Stock and trick it out. Any comments...

Gotta love it when people make up the law all on their own.

I would let him keep it and go to a dealer that knew how to read. :innocent0

Mark

TRUEST ONE

Mar 25, 2011
    Annapolis
    Seems like I always find Hi-Point Carbines in the Annapolis area, that's where I got mine a few weeks ago and same place my 2 cousins got theirs from. As a matter of fact, I went to the Eastern Shore and they had the Carbines stacked up! I can estimate that they had 8 or so of them ... cash and carry all the way on the Hi-Points!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom