Hi Point C9 9mm (handgun) new $175..yay or nay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 18, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I was at a shop today, and they have Hi Point c9 9mm handguns for $175 brand new. Anybody have experience with them? Good/bad, I would like to hear it. Im probably going to pick it up, but I just wanted to hear some other thoughts about it. They also had the 40S&W version for $185 (if memory serves me right...I know it was under $200). I have the hi point 9mm carbine, and I enjoy it, and no problems with it so far.
    Sssssssssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooooooo... :tdown: or :thumbsup:

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I had the .45 and it was built like a tank. Heavy, ugly, and huge. Took any ammo I put through it, went bang every time and was dead on target.

A lot of folks hate 'em because they are inexpensive. It's not a Sig, but it's the best value when your money is tight. Another member here has the entire High Point lineup.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I bought a used MP from Shooters Discount for not much more then that.

I'd feel 100% confident with this MP in just about any situation.

Heck if it's for "home defense" Shooter Discount has used 870's for not much more then that and they are far better.

If you want one cause it's cheap, different, and to use as a range toy then sure.

To buy one as a primary defense gun is silly.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    The HiPoint C9 was my first handgun. Heavy and ugly but durable. I love it, lifetime warranty, shoots cheap ammo. Only thing I don't like is stripping it down. But I liked it enough to buy a second, a .45ACP HiPoint with no regrets. Buy a cheap one now, keep it forever, and buy a more expensive one later on. If you run into financial problems later down the road, you cn potentially sell the more expensive pistol, then at least have something to defend yourself with. A lot of people don't like them, but most who talk, haven't owned one. I like mine. Not as cool as some of my other pistols, but it's a cheap utility pistol I don't have to care too much about, and I can worry more about the nicer one. Kinda like having a beater truck I suppose.

Jan 18, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    If another 100 bucks is not an issue Lou45 still has S&W revolvers for $279.

money isnt really a problem...the only issue is, I just started shooting maybe 2-3 months ago (a little before my 21st birthday), and as a matter of fact, today (2/4/2012) I shot my first revolver S&W 17. First impressions, are that I dont really like revolvers. I guess I was spoiled with semi autos...its a little confusing at first starting out, and trying to figure out what you like...I am also leaning towards a walther p22 or a walther SP22. These would be just for range use.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Most of the forum members who've been around for several years know i've been a Hi-Point fan and why. I have all the calibers of handguns and carbines HP makes. The "why" is simply because I wanted the complete series as part of my collection.

The carbines are terrific range shooters. The pistols are range fun if you like shooting something that feels like a Black & Decker drill. All generally eat any cheap ammo or reloads they're fed and want more.

With that said, HP's are inexpensive firearms. They can be fun and reliable range plinkers, but IMO nothing more than that. If that's all you expect from them, you'll not be disappointed. If your expectation is higher or your need is for a better quality firearm, a HP should not be your first choice.

Jan 18, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    With that said, HP's are inexpensive firearms. They can be fun and reliable range plinkers, but IMO nothing more than that. If that's all you expect from them, you'll not be disappointed. If your expectation is higher or your need is for a better quality firearm, a HP should not be your first choice.

It will be just a range gun...as long as it goes bang, and eats any kind of ammo, then its fine with me.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Most of the forum members who've been around for several years know i've been a Hi-Point fan and why. I have all the calibers of handguns and carbines HP makes. The "why" is simply because I wanted the complete series as part of my collection.

The carbines are terrific range shooters. The pistols are range fun if you like shooting something that feels like a Black & Decker drill. All generally eat any cheap ammo or reloads they're fed and want more.

Yeah yeah yeah....

Attachments

• Hipoint pride.jpg
      Hipoint pride.jpg
      30.5 KB · Views: 288

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    It will be just a range gun...as long as it goes bang, and eats any kind of ammo, then its fine with me.

If that's all you expect, that's likely what you'll get with a HP. I've been brow-beaten before about HP's so one more time won't matter.

I saw your thread saying you bought an HP 9mm carbine. The carbine in the pic had the original "planet of the apes" stock. My suggestion is clean it well and consider replacing the stock with an ATI. My old 995 shoots better in that config.

The used C9 I have came from a GB auction years ago for much less than the price of a new one. It shoots as well as any of my other quality 9mm handguns. A couple of my other HP acquisitions came to me cheap and beat up. HP has a lifetime warranty on all their guns so those went in for warranty service. They came back to me in factory new condition at N/C beyond my cost to ship them to HP.

I hesitate to suggest you jump on a new C9. That's your call. All I can really state is my personal experience with my HP guns has been good.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Come on j8064 go ahead and say it don't be beat down. Hi Points are more reliable with better factory service than almost any gun costing 5-10 times as much. Not to mention your whole collection cost less than 1 of some other peoples guns. There should be pride in frugality. I always like when my $300 setup outperforms something costing many times more.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I'll have to say i had the 9mm carbine for a few years and it ate any ammo i tried to put through it and was pretty accurate, was it the prettiest or most precisely made thing i've ever owned, no but, there is something about going bang EVERY single time, that says a lot about these inexpensive weapons

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    I was at a shop today, and they have Hi Point c9 9mm handguns for $175 brand new. Anybody have experience with them? Good/bad, I would like to hear it. Im probably going to pick it up, but I just wanted to hear some other thoughts about it. They also had the 40S&W version for $185 (if memory serves me right...I know it was under $200). I have the hi point 9mm carbine, and I enjoy it, and no problems with it so far.
    Sssssssssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooooooo... :tdown: or :thumbsup:

Where did you find them? I have a co-worker looking for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom