• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    You are right about this place. It confused me when I walked in. I didn't know if it was a high end fitness center or an investment bank, but it surely didn't have the "traditional feel" to it at all. I thought I went in the wrong door.

The employees treat you like royalty, sweep your brass, hang your targets, and are highly knowledgable. The firearms world needs more facilities and shops like this to cater to beginners, soccer moms, and experienced shooters.

The price isn't bad - $35.00 for two on a lane which includes targets and ear and eye pro if you need it. The gun and ammo prices are impressive as well. I hope this place does well and can attract folks from the surrounding counties, because the technology and engineering that was required for a facility of this sort wasn't cheap.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I just received an email from Heritage introducing "Ladies Night". Yet another reason to like this place. They also have some "specials" on firearms.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Might be for other people.Just sounds overbearing. My idea if a good range is a private lot with steel you can run around and draw from holsters etc.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm looking to buy 100 acres about 4 hours away to turn into a training site. All outdoors though.

My rules wont be very restrictive.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I'm just excited to see TWO public places for people to pay to shoot open up at the same time for Frederick County folks.

Might be for other people.Just sounds overbearing. My idea if a good range is a private lot with steel you can run around and draw from holsters etc.

Let me one up you there, I wouldn't have it any other way. Grew up a "farm shooter" and always will be doing tacticool barrel rolls off lawn chairs pew pew'n steel plates on private property. :thumbsup::D

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I am starting to think in terms of taking the wife to dinner and range night instead of dinner and movie. I think Heritage would also be a great place to introduce a new, maybe skittish shooter to the hobby. way classier than shooting rats at the dump.

SonOfSpartans

Jun 7, 2013
    I am starting to think in terms of taking the wife to dinner and range night instead of dinner and movie. I think Heritage would also be a great place to introduce a new, maybe skittish shooter to the hobby. way classier than shooting rats at the dump.

We do this now, but usually at ranges in WV. That way I am not risking unfortunate issues with MD transport laws or having to run home between the range and dinner.......

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    What sucks for me about this range is that it is less than 1/2 mile from where I work and only 20 min or so from my house. But, we may be moving to Pittsburgh soon. So much for shooting at lunchtime. Figures :mad54:

Will enjoy it while I can I guess.

Dave

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland

I couldnt agree more. I've seen how they treat first timers and females new to shooting..excellent customer service in a warm and welcoming environment.

toddtrain

Sep 19, 2012
    Carroll County MD
    We went to date night and it was great. The RSO Brandon really helped my wife. She does not take direction from me very well as with most things in my life :). The range is super nice. We got well over our 1 hour lane time, gun rental and 50 rounds of ammo for $45. The is a 1 time $10 fee per person to get your range card which has a 10 minute PowerPoint on safety and stuff. I will go back for sure. They have tons of gun to rent also. ****ing 10 round mags though.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Went here on Sunday night with ATTom. The Machine Gun Nest (TMGN), where I've been before, closes at 6pm on Sunday whereas Heritage is open until 9pm.

As others have commented, the facility is spacious and designed to support more than just use of the firing ranges. There is a $10 one time fee for first time users to get an ID card, and range time is $24 per hr (vs $18 per hr for TMGN). Unlike TMGN, there is no annual membership option. The hourly price is however closer to the TMGN hourly price (for non-members) when one considers the cost of targets. At both TMGN and Heritage, I went through 4 large targets in an hour. At Heritage, these were free (and the guy said that I could take up to 5 even if policy was 3 per hour per customer), and at TMGN, the targets were $1/each when I visited (and apparently were $2/each not long ago). There is a greater variety of targets on prettier paper and in color at TMGN whereas the Heritage targets are on a lighter stock paper with mostly grey and black coloration. Doesn't really make a difference for me, but perhaps someone needing to practice on specific types of targets or wanting to save something for posterity would prefer TMGN targets.

I liked some of the obvious lead mitigation strategies that Heritage has in place, like sticky mats for shoes when entering and exiting the corridor to the ranges. Heritage also seems to have a larger variety of firearms available for rental, albeit none of the Class III stuff that is distinguishing feature of the TMGN for obvious reasons. I found the shooting stations at Heritage to be more sturdy, but I believe TMGN ones are being set up so they can be moved for future presentation and shooting from the holster practice (which one can already do at some ranges in Frederick area, like the Monocacy Pistol Club). The Heritage target control system (touch screen with numerous options) is a bit fancier than the one at TMGN, but I didn't find this to be a distinguishing advantage. I thought the shooting stations at Heritage were darker, and it was harder to see things on the mats (including black mags on their black mats with almost no overhead lighting at the stations - there is adequate light in the target area). Although Heritage says that they don't allow rapid fire, they do allow a controlled rate of fire - so if you're on target and look like you're in sufficient control of your firearm - you won't be restricted. I was shooting 2-3 rounds per second with a Makarov for some mags, while being monitored by an RSO behind my lane, and this wasn't an issue. ATTom was doing the same with handguns that he was using.

The staff at Heritage were courteous and professional. The vibe is slightly more corporate than TMGN.

I will be back to Heritage as well as TMGN - I like both and they are equally close to my home. Maybe after some more visits I will figure out whether one facility has more appeal to me for something that I have not considered above. Sunday night is actually often one of the few times in the week when I have free personal time - so Heritage being open late on these days is an attraction.

On Sunday, we were previously at the Frederick IWLA (where I was getting frustrated zeroing in my 300 BLK AR with an ammo batch that was blowing out primer caps). It was a warm day, and my allergies were acting up, so going indoor to focus on pistols was a respite. We could have of course shot rifles at Heritage. The allow up to 308/7.62 NATO in terms of rifle cartridge energy, 44Mag as the upper power band for handguns, and both shot and slugs from shotguns.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Went here on Sunday night with ATTom. The Machine Gun Nest (TMGN), where I've been before, closes at 6pm on Sunday whereas Heritage is open until 9pm.

As others have commented, the facility is spacious and designed to support more than just use of the firing ranges. There is a $10 one time fee for first time users to get an ID card, and range time is $24 per hr (vs $18 per hr for TMGN). Unlike TMGN, there is no annual membership option. The hourly price is however closer to the TMGN hourly price (for non-members) when one considers the cost of targets. At both TMGN and Heritage, I went through 4 large targets in an hour. At Heritage, these were free (and the guy said that I could take up to 5 even if policy was 3 per hour per customer), and at TMGN, the targets were $1/each when I visited (and apparently were $2/each not long ago). There is a greater variety of targets on prettier paper and in color at TMGN whereas the Heritage targets are on a lighter stock paper with mostly grey and black coloration. Doesn't really make a difference for me, but perhaps someone needing to practice on specific types of targets or wanting to save something for posterity would prefer TMGN targets.

I liked some of the obvious lead mitigation strategies that Heritage has in place, like sticky mats for shoes when entering and exiting the corridor to the ranges. Heritage also seems to have a larger variety of firearms available for rental, albeit none of the Class III stuff that is distinguishing feature of the TMGN for obvious reasons. I found the shooting stations at Heritage to be more sturdy, but I believe TMGN ones are being set up so they can be moved for future presentation and shooting from the holster practice (which one can already do at some ranges in Frederick area, like the Monocacy Pistol Club). The Heritage target control system (touch screen with numerous options) is a bit fancier than the one at TMGN, but I didn't find this to be a distinguishing advantage. I thought the shooting stations at Heritage were darker, and it was harder to see things on the mats (including black mags on their black mats with almost no overhead lighting at the stations - there is adequate light in the target area). Although Heritage says that they don't allow rapid fire, they do allow a controlled rate of fire - so if you're on target and look like you're in sufficient control of your firearm - you won't be restricted. I was shooting 2-3 rounds per second with a Makarov for some mags, while being monitored by an RSO behind my lane, and this wasn't an issue. ATTom was doing the same with handguns that he was using.

The staff at Heritage were courteous and professional. The vibe is slightly more corporate than TMGN.

I will be back to Heritage as well as TMGN - I like both and they are equally close to my home. Maybe after some more visits I will figure out whether one facility has more appeal to me for something that I have not considered above. Sunday night is actually often one of the few times in the week when I have free personal time - so Heritage being open late on these days is an attraction.

On Sunday, we were previously at the Frederick IWLA (where I was getting frustrated zeroing in my 300 BLK AR with an ammo batch that was blowing out primer caps). It was a warm day, and my allergies were acting up, so going indoor to focus on pistols was a respite. We could have of course shot rifles at Heritage. The allow up to 308/7.62 NATO in terms of rifle cartridge energy, 44Mag as the upper power band for handguns, and both shot and slugs from shotguns.
    Which ammo was blowing primers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom