• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bward1028

Dec 27, 2010
    PG County
    Hi guys. So, I will be moving to VA soon and I'm considering getting another glock for concealed carry.
    I currently have a glock 17 so I'm looking to stay with the 9mm platforms. The issue I'm running into is, does it make more sense to sell the 17 and buy a 19, or keep the bigger gun for the house/open carry and get the 26 as well?
    The problem I'm running into is that I'm a pretty skinny guy, so concealing a larger firearm is going to be an issue. I also tend to wear slim t shirts.
    I tried putting the 17 in my iwb holster and it was super obvious, so I'm leaning towards the 26, but financial situation would have me prefer one gun for inside and outside the home.
    I also don't want to get rid of the big glock because it's the only fun range gun I have right now. Only other handgun is a P64 which is fun at the range but only for 50 rounds or so. I can also use the p64 for carry but I like the idea of having twice as many rounds at my disposal.

Thanks for reading my super rambling post. I'd love to have any input you guys have on carry pieces since I'm quite new to the idea and I trust y'all way more than any of the other Internet sources I've found.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'm 6 ft 2 and 180 lbs and when I have my glock 17 no one ever knows. Maybe you should stop buying schmedium t-shirts, if we can see your nipples we can see your glock (regardless of model). The 26 is an insanely nice little piece if you want smaller it's probably the best option on the market for capacity/firepower/ergonomics/accuracy/reliability.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I love the 26. Don't own one, but I hear that it conceals better than the 19 in warmer times of the year. If I were you, I would keep the 17 and get a 26. The 19 is great, but I don't see a need for it if you can keep the 17 and get a 26.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Dress around the gun. An untucked button up shirt will conceal a Glock 22 with no trouble.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    unless $$ is super tight, i'd keep the 17. you always get screwed on trade ins or sales and you'll never be unhappy having the 17.

shoot and walk around holstered with the other two glock 9mms. i have all three sizes and really don't like the smallest ones. certainly more concealable but they're pretty hard to hold onto with even medium sized hands and having the pearce extensions on the mags. so i'd personally recommend you get the 19 as your 2nd/carry gun.

and if you want to save a little dough, get the 19 used, maybe a police trade in. these guns last forever so unless really abused, a used one should be good to go.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Get the 26. It is unbelievably accurate for the size. I love mine. Here is a picture for reference of size.

Attachments

• Glock 26.jpg
      Glock 26.jpg
      61.2 KB · Views: 261

Phoenixsm

Aug 29, 2010
    Keep the 17 and get a 26.

I would recommend the Gen 4 26 over the Gen 3. For me, the difference is ergonomics was significant. I handled and shot the Gen 3 and was not thrilled by it. I had a really hard time with the mag release.

The Gen 4 fits my hand well and with a mag extension (no additional rounds) allows for a full-fingered grip.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    If your bank account is low and you have a P64 just carry that for awhile. The odds of you needing more rounds are unlikely. The P64 is a good firearm, just sucky trigger but its a defensive piece anyway. As for recommendation I have a G17, G19, G36. I carry my 36 everyday. It is light, smooth and slimmer than the 17/19/26 frame. If you would like to try my 19 and 36 we can meet up at sharpshooters for some rangetime. Welcome to freedom, I escaped MD also!

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    The Glock 19 isn't all that much smaller than the Glock 17. The grip and the barrel are both about half an inch shorter, but they're equally bulky designs that will print if you don't dress properly. Save your money and keep the 17. If you're looking for a small summertime carry piece, then consider getting a "baby Glock" such as the G26/G27 or G36.

Be aware that not all holsters are created equal nor is there a one size fits all choice. Choosing the right holster is half the battle!

Also:

if we can see your nipples we can see your glock

f3c0ca230ea4698a86051da9defa33c5.jpg

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Don't sell a gun you're using to get a half assed solution like the 19. I have access to one, I don't carry it. I've carried six different pistols, I finally purchased a small, single-stack 9mm and keep that in my pocket holster. That gets carried everywhere except to my job.

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    The 26 is an insanely nice little piece if you want smaller it's probably the best option on the market for capacity/firepower/ergonomics/accuracy/reliability.

Get the 26. It is unbelievably accurate for the size. I love mine.

Keep the 17 and get a 26.
    I would recommend the Gen 4 26 (no additional rounds) allows for a full-fingered grip.

What they said :thumbsup:
    picked mine up last week, great gun

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    OK... I'll play devils advocate for a second. My though process led me into a completely different direction when I was able to carry in my former state of residence. Since Gary Keck and FBI statistics suggest that the overwhelming majority (something around 95%... I'll have to recheck this) of defensive uses of a gun involve fewer than three shots at a range of less than 7 yards, I thought a great solution was a S&W M642 Airweight. It's rated for .38 Spl+P ammo, hold 5 rounds, and virtually disappears when I put it into a jacket pocket or into an IWB holster. I bought mine for ~$300 with a couple of speed loaders... just a thought... L

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It's also about comfort. The grip is what gets in the way. The barrel length is less important. It is much more comfortable to sit in the car with a G26 than a G17.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    If the issue is money, get the Glock 19. It is the perfect all around size for carry and range work. If money isn't an issue, or you don't mind saving up get a Glock 26 down the road.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I'm 130lbs and can hide my G26 in summer under a t shirt with a super tuckk holster.
    The pistol is comfortable enough to spend fun time at the range unlike smaller pistols that can become uncomfortable to shoot after a few mags.
    You can also get a mag extension for better grip if having large hands or when target shooting.
    I choose mine for inside carry most times as well since you can just slip it in your pocket.:)

bward1028

Dec 27, 2010
    PG County
    Well, got a good price quote on the 26 at nova armament and found a deal on the 26 crimson trace grip, so it looks like I've made my decision.
    Now I just have to wait 30 days for my new license to age so I can go buy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom