• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quickdrawsam

Feb 20, 2012
    Aberdeen, MD
    i recently had my grandfather pass away. and i recently inherited 3 old shotguns. i would like to have two in my name and one in my wife's name. i know i dont have to register them since they were made back in the 40s, but i still dont trust having them in someone else name. though i trust my pop.

god rest pop

terryhimself

Oct 19, 2008
    Bel Air
    You are not able to reregister non-regulated long guns. No records are kept other then the original papers at the shop where purchased. You are legal if you are over 18 and not prohibited from owning firearms.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    They are not registered, never have been. If you walk into MSP and try to register, they will most likely laugh at you.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    yup, its considered as long gun. no voluntary registration required. only handguns and regulated rifles are required to be transfered via ffl or msp.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    They are already yours QDSam, Im sure if you wanted too you could have someone in the family sign something stating that they went to you as part of a Inheritance and have that notarized. But they are yours now that he has passed and you own them.

quickdrawsam

Feb 20, 2012
    Aberdeen, MD
    well thats a relief. thanks for the help everyone. just for future reference. what about regulated firearms? someone mentioned the state police. I wouldnt want to walk into the barraks with a pistol lol

Don't quote me but my understanding you can buy or sell or trade or receive or give a long gun from one Md resident to another Md resident without any paper work or registration provided the person receiving it is legally allowed to posses firearms.
    But if it is an exchange across State lines then it must be transfered by an FFL.
    That is a Federal requirement for the transfer of any firearm across State lines, and the State isn't involved in the transfer.
    I just purchased an unregulated long gun from a Friend that lives out of State from West.Va. We both had to go to a Dealer and have it transfered to me. We ended up going to a Dealer in Md. because we couldn't find a West Va. Dealer that would do the transfer unless they were actually directly selling the gun to me ??? They didn't want anything to do with transferring anything to a Md. Resident?? Even though it was perfectly legal to do the transfer they were afraid of the State of Md comming back on them. LOL
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your Grandfather. Take care.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    If you are doing a transfer at MSP leave the gun in the car until the police officer ask you to bring it in.

Most of the time they walk out to see it and get the numbers off it, that is unless they are feeling lazy or the phones are ringing off the hook, then they will have you bring it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom