• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • owenrc1

Apr 24, 2011
    Picked up a period 1873 44 wcf winchester and would like to get lead down range, what dies are you using, powders, brass any other tips? I am using a lee single stage now loading 357 45lc and 30-30. Thanks. Owen.

terryhimself

Oct 19, 2008
    Bel Air
    always had good luck with lyman or RCBS dies. Keep your loads on the light side of the publshed guides. I assume the rifle has been inspected by someone who knows what to look for in the 73 design. I recall that the toggle links in the action were a weak point
    in the design and needed inpsection on a regular basis. Happy Shooting...Terry

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    44-40

I have near 400 x 200gr Meister .429" bullets which I ordered by mistake ( I have a 44Mag which does better with .431").They are yours for a reasonable offer.
    Otherwise I can only offer some hearsay, never having had a reason to deal with that great old cartridge myself (which I believe was one of Teddy Roosevelt's favorites).
    The cartridge is a bottle neck (subtle) so it should be lubed even with carbide sizers. It is also thinner than modern cartridges so it requires a careful flare of the case mouth so that you do not crush the case while seating the bullets.
    Good luck and enjoy that fine old rifle.
    DocAitch

bulletmen

Alpha Bravo Mfg
    Jun 6, 2011
    Hanover Pa
    44-40

Congrats on the old Winchester,one of the first "assault rifles".

Been loading 44-40 and 38-40 for a while. Moderate charge of Unique and a lead bullet in the 200 gr weight class.
    Loading with black powder works good too. Just remember that BP loads need to be compressed. Some use an over powder wad like Ox Yoke with BP.We use FFg and no wad.
    If it is an original Winchester,then you should use .427 or .428 diameter bullets.Slug the bore to find out for sure.
    The Italian copies work better with .429 diameter bullets.

BTW,we have two different bullets for use in 44WCF. A 190 gr and a 218 gr RNFP..

www.bulletmen.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom