• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adam620

Jun 1, 2009
    Hey,i bought a sig 229 last week,ordered new hogue grips.When i was unscrewing 1 of the grip screws i managed to strip one of the screws cause it was in so tight.Is there anything i can do to get it out without takeing it to a gunsmith? thanks for any help at all

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    now you really done it.. its broken now.. just send me the gun its worthless now.. :)

welcome btw..

you can buy them screw extractor from sears..

SRTMO

Apr 29, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    Did you strip the threads or the head. I am guessing the head. If that is the case, you could use the screw extractor or you could dremel the head enough to make a slot for a screw driver. Be super careful if you use a dremel. A dremel is the last choice for me.

adam620

Jun 1, 2009
    Montgomery.Thanks for the help,i'll try the extractor,if that dosent work i'll take it in someplace.

i striped the head

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most of the screw extractors are made to work with phillips, allen or torx screws, and require a hole to be drilled in slotted, which is about impossible without a drill press, and even then, you run a god chance of boogering up your frame if you go to deep.

The best way is to use a screwdriver that is the correct size and shape, sounds simple, but when it comes to guns, a standard wedge shaped screw driver might be too thick, too thin, too wide, or too narrow, I use a set that has flat ground screwdriver bits in 3 different thicknesses for every width and a couple that are tapered for use with countersunk screws, being the screws tend to be small and tight, it is far too easy to bugger them up by using a good screwdriver that fits, but happens to be the wrong shape.

Thing is, that even with the right bit, sometimes they get stripped anyway, and grip screws not being in a precarious spot are fairly easy to remove.

There are 2 methods that usually work, make sure the gun is unloaded and the chamber is clear, then squirt a little pb blaster in the screw hole inside the mag well if the hole is drilled through, or around the screw head if it isn't, and wait 10 minutes for the oil to penetrate. With the gun on a sturdy, non-slip, non-marring surface, like a peice of rubber or leather on a work bench, center the correct screw driver bit in the remaining slot, tap it lightly with a hammer, push down as hard as you can without slipping, and gently try to turn it, most of the time it will start to turn the screw, when it does, stop, and tap the screw driver handle again lightly, and using less downward pressure, back the damaged screw out slowly and carefully. If this doesn't work, last chance before drilling, or taking it to a smith is to use an impact driver, and honed bit, you simply hone the edges of the bit to be as square and sharp as possible, so it will dig into the screw and turn it, then set the impact driver, and give it a smack with a hammer, this will either back the screw out 1/4 turn, destroy the head of the screw, so it has to be drilled out, or the bit will break, once I get this desparate though, 90% of the time, the screw comes out, and I chase the threads with a tap to avoid stripping out the frame with the new screw.

Good luck.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    left hand drill bit. usually backs them right out. only poroblem i see is finding one that small.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    this could help...get a cold chisel with a small point get on the edge of the screw head and try to tap it loose with a mallet...I would be careful doing this though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom