• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ripper157

Feb 20, 2008
    Carroll County
    Again - reload. Once you start reloading, you will realize that it just doesn't matter that much - it evens out the costs across the board and in some cases can be nearly as inexpensive as shooting .22 LR. And if you can afford to purchase a Class III firearm, surely you can afford to tool up to reload as well.

not my cup of tea, i work 90+ hrs/week, any free time i want to be shooting

ripper157

Feb 20, 2008
    Carroll County
    How hard is to get parts for the more common stuff out there? Do people have problems with stuff breaking? It would suck to end up with an expensive paperweight.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    not my cup of tea, i work 90+ hrs/week, any free time i want to be shooting
    Suit yourself - just a suggestion. My personnal though on the matter is that if I was truly working 90+ hours a week, I'd find another job, even if it meant taking a pay cut. Life is too danged short to spend that kind of time at work and I know that on my death bed (with the pleasant thought that I'll actually live long enough to have a death bed) I won't be laying there satisfied that I spent so much time at work.

ripper157

Feb 20, 2008
    Carroll County
    Suit yourself - just a suggestion. My personnal though on the matter is that if I was truly working 90+ hours a week, I'd find another job, even if it meant taking a pay cut. Life is too danged short to spend that kind of time at work and I know that on my death bed (with the pleasant thought that I'll actually live long enough to have a death bed) I won't be laying there satisfied that I spent so much time at work.

I feel ya! I'm a small business owner, so it is what it is. I do get a lot of satisfaction out of it though. I just wish my boss wasn't such a dick.

Remo

Jul 7, 2008
    Rockville
    As someone mentioned earlier, take your time and educate yourself before taking the plunge.

I find the following to be the most fun to shoot :
    MP5
    M-11 with a Lage Upper
    UZI

M16 or f/a AR
    AC-556

Without a slow fire upper the M-10 and 11 are just bullet hoses and offer fleeting gratification. The MP5 and Uzi are much more satisfying to shoot. Attach a suppressor and the smile won't leave your face.

For 12-15K you should be able to get pretty much any of the above (except maybe the MP5). Just remember that many of these weapons are over 20+ years old. Ruger is about the only company that will currently service their f/a civilian owned weapon (AC-556).

Good Luck

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    The MP5 is the mutts nuts, but if I were going to buy 1 machine gun, I think it would be a M16. Add a 9mm upper w/ ramped bolt and an endine buffer and you are all set to shoot 9mm's. Swap in a 5.56 upper and pop out a mag block and your ready for 5.56. It's one of the cheapest ways to get a 2 caliber machine gun that is reliable and it pretty much all user servicable.

PM sent

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Any possibility the Obama bans private owner ship of full autos in the future?
    Or restricts transfer?

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Ripper,

Some more info for you on one of your other options that might fit your budget better, allow you to buy an additional piece like an M11, and will offer you multiple calibers. That would be a registered receiver UZI. I won't say that I regret selling mine as I wasn't shooting it all that much, but I have thought about it now and again. Watch out when shopping for UZIs as some are registered bolt guns. That is a gun where a semi-auto UZI was converted using a FA bolt that was registered. I'm not saying these are necessarily bad, but conversion quality varied and they don't give you as much flexibility.

The one I recommend is one of the Vector or Group Industries UZIs. Unfortunately Vector is currently in the course of selling off all there projects to other companies as they got caught up in a fraudulent ammo procurement scheme perpetrated by another company that they were doing work with as a subcontractor. I won't get into that, but you can still find the guns.

Group Industries went out of business years ago and they had produced a significant number of newly made registered UZI receivers prior to the 86 Ban. These went into recievership and when the case was settled, Vector bought them all and built new guns using original South African parts kits. These are high-quality guns registered in 9mm, .45, and .22 and Vector heat treated the recievers to increase the durability. The guns were set up in 9mm, but they also produced conversion kits for .45 and .22. I had all the conversions with my gun. I never fired the .45, but the .22 ran like a champ and was way more fun than the 9mm.

You can find the guns pretty regularly by watching Sturmgewehr and Subguns. They are averaging $6.5-7.5K. The conversion kits have gotten a bit pricey, but they can be had. You may even find one with a kit for sale. I recommend just getting the .22 kit. Expect to pay at least $500 for the kits. Additionally, you can find 9mm parts kits that include everything but the reciever and with one or two of those you can keep that thing running for a lifetime. Watch for someone to buy Vector's stock of parts too and that will be another source. I also heard Vector had held back some receivers, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't have some new guns somewhere down the line.

That would leave you extra $ for a M11 and ammo. Good luck.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I feel ya! I'm a small business owner, so it is what it is. I do get a lot of satisfaction out of it though. I just wish my boss wasn't such a dick.
    Ah - well that I understand and respect. That makes sense. However, working for the Man 90+ hours a week is another matter altogether - that person is a glutton for punishment! (Not that you aren't a glutton for punishment being a small business owner, but at least then there's a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it's a train!)

Good luck to you with the business!

Getting back to the subject, my vote goes to the Uzi first, and the MP5 second. I've shot them both, and both are pretty neat guns.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    It really depends how much you want to spend.
    $5k for a good Lage M11
    $7k for a nice Uzi, .22 conversion kit is extra
    $14k for an M16
    $18k for an MP5

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    +1 on the Subguns boards. You'll get a lot of good advice there.

If you are trying to hold costs down, look at the .22s. $10K will put you into a Norell 10/22 full-auto conversion, or even an AM-180. $8K will get you a Vector Uzi with the .22 conversion. $3.5K will get you a M-11/9...which .22 conversion units are being developed for.

Whatever you buy, budget for a suppressor to go with it. You'll find a can invaluable for avoiding unwanted attention.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Why not a Tommy gun? I see 1928 Thompsons on gunbroker right now.
    Thompsons tend to be pretty expensive - or at least the original ones are.
    I can definitely see the cost being a detractor where Thompson's are concerned.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Any possibility the Obama bans private owner ship of full autos in the future?
    Or restricts transfer?

restricting transfer would be the real only way it could be possible, but still unlikely. If Obama and Congress try to ban private ownership outright, they run afoul of the constitution which prevents the passing of ex-post-facto laws, basically (and this HAS been violated before) they can't make laws which are retroactive. They can say "From now on..." but can not say "This law pertains to items/people/etc from the past...", thus the reason why in 1986 the ban on machineguns was only from that date forward, not a blanket ban of all weapons currently owned. I hope that made some sense, I'm not a lawyer and if we have any in the crowd who can explain it better I'd hope they post further clarification.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    M16 registered receiver
    W/
    9mm short barreled upper, conversion
    14.5" M4 type upper in 5.56mm
    Dedicated 22LR conversion upper
    Suppressors for each upper a must.
    ARES shrike beltfed upper
    Mg 34 upper in 308 or 8mm

You can start with a receiver then start collecting the uppers for your weapons system. parts are abundant, ammo is available. You simply cant go wrong with an M16.

mdsuave13

Zombie Survival Expert
    Nov 8, 2007
    ellicott city
    As someone mentioned earlier, take your time and educate yourself before taking the plunge.

I find the following to be the most fun to shoot :
    MP5
    M-11 with a Lage Upper
    UZI

M16 or f/a AR
    AC-556

Without a slow fire upper the M-10 and 11 are just bullet hoses and offer fleeting gratification. The MP5 and Uzi are much more satisfying to shoot. Attach a suppressor and the smile won't leave your face.

Good Luck

+1 on this.

The m11 with slowfire upper could be had for under 4000 if you shopped around. Its a cheap entry into the world of FA. For around 6000-8000 you can get an uzi with a can on it and have a real fun time as well.

I don't know much about mp5's other than they are fun to shoot and feel real nice in the hands. they also are way overpriced for what they are. I would personally go for an m-16 or get a DIAS or FA lower for an ar and then you can change calibers on the fly like has been mentioned here.

whatever you get, you will have a fun time with. But FA and ammo costs don't mix. After you spend 1000 dollars in one day mag dumping an m11 or uzi(and you will), you realize that no matter what caliber you choose, it gets expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom