• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    A coworker has a Marlin .22 mag bolt-action. He stored it with the bolt open in his closet for the past couple of years and when he went to us it this past weekend he couldn't get the bolt to close, it was rusted in place. He tried some WD-40 but it didn't break it loose. My question is would CLP work? or something else? He told me he won it in a raffle...well he won a shotgun but traded in value for the gun plus scope including mounting, an extra magazine and a box of ammo for $20. I told him I'd take the rusted old junk off his hand for the $20 he had in it, he laughed, maybe I should have offered double. :D

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm thinking kroil should do it but I'll let someone wiser than me confirm that.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Pretty much any penetrant would work.

Just make sure to clean the rifle/bolt with regular gun products once it's in operational condition. The reasoning is some of the penetrants are combustible, making for a larger than expected bang.

KevinB

Dec 4, 2008
    Germantown
    Is his closet in a swimming pool? How could it get rusty enough to seize just sitting in a closet?

Depends on the closet... :innocent0

Attachments

• wc.jpg
      wc.jpg
      22.9 KB · Views: 303

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Kroil would be my choice, but PB Blaster can be found local (Lowes)
    If your coworker is getting into shooting, why not have him join MDS?

MH

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    He came in this morning and said he got it to break free. WD-40 had been soaking in for a few days and he tapped the bolt gently with a wood block. He the took the bolt out and cleaned the rust off it and oiled it up. So he's good to go until he lets it sit for a few more years. :rolleyes:

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    If Kroil, PB Blaster, and Liquid Wrench fail you need to get a tiny vial of wintergreen oil. They sell it at the hippie whole foods stores; they'll call it an "essential oil." Bonus points if you tell the hippie that you want it for your gun and not to scent up your house.

I had some choke tubes that would not budge, soaked the barrel in liquid wrench, pb blaster, kroil. I really didn't want to take it to a gunsmith so I asked on another forum I go to where they have a "Ask a gunsmith" thread and he told me about wintergreen oil and I'll be damned if that shit didn't work. It also made the gun smell like wintergreen for much longer then I would have thought possible.

A word of caution, do not get it on your fingers and then touch your eyes, mouth, or your junk or you will be in for a world of unpleasantness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom