• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Hello all,

I'm getting to the final stages of planning my SBR build. I'm looking for some input on a railed handguard.

I have looked at the seeking precision BAR system and some of the Troy and Midwest industries offerings, and I'm having a hard time making up my mind.

I don't need anything super expensive, I'm not going into battle any time soon, but I also don't want to spend my money on junk. After opening gifts from the wife, it looks like a magpul truck pulled into my living room, so this is pretty much the last part I need :-)

This will be my first free float handguard, so if you have pertinent tips they would be appreciated. It will be going on an 11.5 inch build I'm doing with a stag upper. I would like to keep it in the $250 dollar range, or somewhere in that neighborhood.

I'm thinking I want a 9 or 10 inch hand guard, and I will be using a low profile gas block or shaving down a fsb for the build.

Again, any input is appreciated, if you have experience with the ones I've listed, great, if there is something I've overlooked, that's fine too.

Thanks in advance!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Why do you need rails? I've owned a bunch of ARs and the more I see/handle/shoot them I'm liking the railed concept less and less and prefer the modular rails that allow you to attach rails where necessary.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Hello all,

I'm getting to the final stages of planning my SBR build. I'm looking for some input on a railed handguard.

I have looked at the seeking precision BAR system and some of the Troy and Midwest industries offerings, and I'm having a hard time making up my mind.

I don't need anything super expensive, I'm not going into battle any time soon, but I also don't want to spend my money on junk. After opening gifts from the wife, it looks like a magpul truck pulled into my living room, so this is pretty much the last part I need :-)

This will be my first free float handguard, so if you have pertinent tips they would be appreciated. It will be going on an 11.5 inch build I'm doing with a stag upper. I would like to keep it in the $250 dollar range, or somewhere in that neighborhood.

I'm thinking I want a 9 or 10 inch hand guard, and I will be using a low profile gas block or shaving down a fsb for the build.

Again, any input is appreciated, if you have experience with the ones I've listed, great, if there is something I've overlooked, that's fine too.

Thanks in advance!

9 inch noveske NSR is among the lightest currently available.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    i agree with mopar for the most part...the midwest ss line is nice...the 15" gen 2 version will be going on my next build.

that being said, i do like the feel of a wider handguard as well, so on my current finished build i have a c4 w/ magpul xt rail covers

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I personally like Centurion Arms C4 (save the FSB) and return the low pro gas block...

868W4679-Edit-1200-Stick.jpg

with out FSB
    868W4674-A-1200-Stick.jpg

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    I've had good experience with YHM rails, though they tend to be on the heavier end of the scale. The SQR "hybrid" rail which has been popping up a lot on PSA uppers lately isn't bad either. It's lighter, and the rail space you're losing shouldn't prove to be that big of a loss, but I'm still not sold on the concept.

One thing I have been researching a lot lately is Keymod rails. I don't think I know enough yet to give an informed opinion, but my next rail is probably going to be a free floated keymod of some sort.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I currently own a DD Omega and a Centurion C4. They are both very nice rails but I will be selling them very shortly.

In my opinion, the new BCM rail just went and out did every other rail currently available. Why? Because it's Keymod which means no rails on the sides digging into your hands. You are able to mount at 45 degrees which is great for a light or if you want to run irons at 45 degrees. Lastly, the main reason why I'm switching to the BCM rail is due to the material they used to build it. They used a Magnesium/Aluminum mixture to create the lightest rail currently available coming in at 7.7 ounces for the 13" and 6.5 ounces for the 10". This is the total weight including the barrel nut. They didn't even need to remove a lot of material hurting structural integrity (I won't name the company that did this but we all know who they were) :D

But yeah, check out the BCM KMR which is shipping any day now. The 10" model is right around $250. You can read some good info in this thread.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?135121-New-BCM-rail

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    I ordered a Troy alpha rail for my SBR build. It seems like a very nice rail, but I will admit I haven't finished the build yet.

mazinger

Feb 11, 2013
    Columbia
    i like the idea of saving the fsb due to their bomb proof nature. i have a fortis & centurion carbine cutout rails both of which i like very much. fortis was just $200 & lighter, but the centurion is built more robust. or shave down the fsb rather than replacing with a low-pro gas block & put the money towards the rail. strike industries has a keymod rail much like the bcm for $130 if i'm remembering correctly. midwest industries also has a keymod handguard for less than $200. i have a noveske nsr, but i don't find $259 value in it, especially after having to purchase multiple panel kits to cover a carbine tube. i got a wilson combat handguard as well which i like the size of better, but they're heavier than your midwest or noveske. troy vtac which i still have in the box seems like a good option for you at $150 or less. now, accessory mounting on the vtac isn't as convenient as the other options above.

ziptiespec

I ordered a Troy alpha rail for my SBR build. It seems like a very nice rail, but I will admit I haven't finished the build yet.

Fortis REV or Troy alpha rail. Both in your price range and both high quality IMHO.

I'll echo what these guys say re: the Troy Alpha rail. Very nice, low weight, and Primary Arms has had crazy good deals on both the Alpha and Bravo rails.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    I'll echo what these guys say re: the Troy Alpha rail. Very nice, low weight, and Primary Arms has had crazy good deals on both the Alpha and Bravo rails.

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going with the alpha!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I'm look for a Carbine length free float rail that fits snug and tight, even if I have to use a different barrel nut (other than standard). Medium priced category or even a good deal would be great.if it had a few bimod slots that would be even better. I was really looking at the Fortis talked about above, but I didn't care for some of the review problems - see link I provided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom