• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    So... I'm looking for something new... I know I want a rifle. I have about 500$ to spend. I want something fun and easy to learn. I've already got a shotgun. Just looking to the experts for some advice. Thanks in advance!

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hello Cai,

What do you want it for? (hunting, target shooting, etc...)

Semi auto, bolt, etc...?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    For target shooting, a bolt action .223 might be a good choice, that could do double-duty as a varmint gun.

For super economy, a .22 will let you shoot all day long for just a few dollars, and be useful on small game (rabbits, squirrels) as well.

Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    That is the problem... There are SO many firearms I want I just can't seem to decide... Basically I want something that will be fun to shoot, easy for me to learn how the properly clean and maintain, and have lots of ammo not break the bank. I've been a member on here for awhile now and I have learned alot, but I am still a little leary about pulling the trigger on another gun only to have it turn out to be not what I really wanted. (I bought a turkish Tristar Cobra. Decent shotgun, but I would have been much better off with a 500 or an 870 I think.)

A list of rifles I am interested in: Mosin Nagant, SKS, AR15, AK74, M1A, FS2000, FAL etc... I am aware that most of that list is in a galaxy far far away in terms of price but I hope it will give an idea on what I am interested in.

I live near Frederick and will drive as far as Engage (I know how awsome those guys are, they fixed my cobra when I f**ked it up) for a firearm. I would like to support a local gun shop since I will be a repeat customer.

I hope this is more descriptive than my first post...:)

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you've got $500 to put towards it you could get both a Mosin and an SKS. :D

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I agree with the post above. Take that $500 and get yourself a nice mosin for under $100 and a sks for around $315. . Both are fun and this way you can learn bolt action and semi auto. If you can try to find a place that has the above mentioned firearms by the dozen and go through them untill you find the nicest one.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Go to a gun show, there will be plenty of both to look at. And many others.There is a show in Fred. this weekend.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    How can I tell if I am getting a deal or not tho? I have neer been to a gun show btw.
    You shouldnt pay over $100 for a nice mosin 91/30 or over $345 for a yugo sks still packed in cosmo. The biggest thing to look for on the mosin is the bore. Just pull the bolts on several that look the nicest and pick the one with the best bore. The dealer selling them should have a bore light you can use. As for the sks if they are all packed in cosmo pick the one that looks the nicest as its impossible to function check them with all that cosmo in there. If you ask around on here you could probably find someone local to go with you and help you pick one out.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Shooters Discount had Mini-14's for under $500 OTD.I think he's (Lou45)out right now,but might be getting somemore in.

Do they take AR mags?

No.

For under $400, you can get a Saiga rifle in 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and .223. Ammo is relatively inexpensive for the 7.62x39 and is available at Walmart. 5.45x39 is cheap but you'll probably have to mail order it. You can convert these at a later date to be more like a real AK.

Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    No.

For under $400, you can get a Saiga rifle in 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and .223. Ammo is relatively inexpensive for the 7.62x39 and is available at Walmart. 5.45x39 is cheap but you'll probably have to mail order it. You can convert these at a later date to be more like a real AK.

Thats without the pistol grip right? are there any other differences? and would it be cheaper this way? if i buy it like this and then upgrade later?

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Get a lever action in .38/.357 or, if you REALLY want to save on ammo cost, .22!

Excellent advice, but I would recommend buying a Savage Mark 2 bolt action .22. Simple, high quality, brutally accurate at 100 yards, easy as pie to clean and take care of, and you can shoot steel targets at the AGC.

In my humblest of opinions, a Mosin or SKS are best left until you are more experienced.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If it were me, I would go with a Ruger 10/22. With a $500 budget, you will have tons of money left for ammo & other goodies. The 10/22 is a well made, fun gun. Buy one and have a blast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom