• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sc0tt556

Freedom...."Earn this"
    May 14, 2013
    MD
    I'm waffling between an AR and the Mini 14. Just can't seem to fall in love with the scary black rifles. Maybe if I slapped some wood furniture on it.

Anyhow, are there any shops in MD where I can actually get to handle a Mini 14 before I make a purchase decision?

2A sales had both the WW, Colt and the minis

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    One of the IP's sell Windham HBC's for a great price and with the 30rd mag if you pick it up in PA. Really nice rifles at a reasonable price. Here is the thread.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=140732

I second that suggestion, having just purchased one (my first AR) from there. I'd wanted an AR for a while and cost is always an issue for me. I'd been considering the S&W or similar models and while they are good, they did cut some corners to keep the price down. I'm really glad I decided on the WW instead. It's not much more money than the low-budget guns like the S&W or Mossberg, and the build quality & fit & finish is beautiful; by far the nicest of any firearm in my modest collection.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Wow - you just burst my Windham bubble! Guess I will no longer recommend these.

Did you whip out your digital calipers and check the tolerances?:rolleyes:

What is built to tighter tolerances?

OP, here's what you need to know about Windham....

1. They used (maybe still do) the wrong FSP's on flat tops. If you buy one, you may need to switch it out for an F marked one.

2. They use straight pins on their FSP instead of taper pins.

3. There gas ports are over sized.

4. Barrels are not HP/MP

5. Poor staking on gas keys that were made in Taiwan.

6. Castle Nut not staked.

7. Blue extractor insert wit no crane o-ring and no upgraded extractor spring.

8. Carbine buffer instead of H buffer

9. 1/9 twist barrel

You most likely won't have any problems with your Windham if you only expect to use it at the range and you don't plan on running 500 rounds in a day at carbine classes. Other than that, they are over gassed and won't be as smooth as something else with a mil-spec diameter gas port and an H buffer.

By the way, I don't own a Colt but if I were to buy an H-Bar tomorrow, it would most likely be a Colt.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Wow - you just burst my Windham bubble! Guess I will no longer recommend these.

They're fine. Don't let my snobbery bring you down. They will most likely be reliable for 90% of the people here looking to buy an HBAR. I just hate when people assume their $800 rifle is built to the same specifications using using the same parts as something that cost $1100. There is so many things that goes into building a good rifle, I'd be hear explaining it for the next two hours.

What I can do for you is post something written by Paul Buffoni back in 2006 right around the time he was starting his company BCM. The following words are his posted on another forum and they explain why a Bushmaster doesn't cost as much as a BCM and what it actually takes to make a rifle that can remain reliable under the harshest of atmospheres and scenarios.

I just want to post something so some can understand what it takes to make a very good rifle and also what it take to maintain one of the best reputations in the industry.

Everything written beyond this sentence are not my words: I will add the post written by Paul in a separate post.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Here is what you're paying for when purchasing an AR from a reputable company.This was posted by BCM back in 2006 when they first started.[/span][/span]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/BCM4 Lowers/BravoCoMFGlogo.jpg

In an effort to put as much info in one place as possible and have a centralized area for reference, I have put together this post in hopes it generates more light than heat. Please forgive my grammar, spelling and syntax, they are not my strong points, and much of the following information has been cut and pasted from various emails we have answered in the past years. So if you see a paragraph here that answered a question you had last fall, last summer, last year, you are correct – I just cut, pasted and reposted it here ?.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/BCM Complete Rifles/CQB.jpg

Much of these specs have been posted on our website in one form or another for years, but there are more details behind these features.

•M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension
    •M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver
    •T-Marked Upper Receivers
    •USGI 5.56mm NATO Chambers
    •Independently Certified Mil-Spec 11595E Barrel Steel
    •Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
    •Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish on entire barrel
    •Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sights
    •Taper Pinned Front Sight Base
    •USGI Government Profile Barrels
    •HPT (High Pressure Test, per Milspec) Barrels
    •MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected, per Milspec) Barrels
    •Bolt machined from Mil-Spec Carpenter No. 158® steel
    •HPT Bolt (High Pressure Tested/ Proof)
    •MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected)
    •Shot Peened Bolt
    •Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)
    •Chrome Lined Gas Key
    •Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
    •Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners Key
    •Staked Per Mil-Spec
    •Tool Steel Extractor
    •BCM® Extractor Spring
    •Black Extractor Insert
    •Receivers Machined from Aluminum Forgings 7075-T6
    •Receivers Hardcoat Anodize per MIL-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2
    •BCM® Milspec 7075-T6 Receiver Extension
    •USGI Mold M4 Stock Staked M4 Lock Nut
    •USGI H Buffer (1 USGI Tungsten, 2 Steel)
    •Magpul MOE Enhanced Trigger Guard
    •Low Shelf for RDIAS installation
    •Low Shelf for Accuwedge use
    •Un-notched Hammer compatible with 9mm use
    •Fire Controls marked SAFE and SEMI

And this narrative has also been posted on our webpages since 2005;

[span style='font-weight: bold;']M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension
    M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver[/span]
    In developing the USGI M4 carbine as one of the primary weapons for today’s infantry, some modifications were performed to the original M16 platform to enhance the reliability of the shorter barreled carbines. With the shorter carbine gas system and the increased gas port pressure, the carbine cycled faster, and at times the cycle rate could be faster than the magazine would feed ammunition. One of the modifications done to increase reliable feeding included enhancing the angle and the length of the feed ramps. This USGI modification was done to both the barrel extension and the upper receiver, creating a longer and steeper feed ramp. These Mil-Spec M4 feed ramps are part of the original CNC manufacturing process. As a result, the factory machined M4 feed ramps on the receiver are hard coat anodized which adds significant strength to the aluminum. This feature is offered on all BCM uppers and all BCM barrels.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']T-Marked Upper Receiver[/span]
    The contemporary M16/M4 rifle is built around the concept of modularity. All of the BCM flat top uppers feature a USGI type laser etched T-marks to provide addressing for the remounting of tactical accessories such as optics, laser sights, etc. This enables the weapon platform to be easily configured and then accurately reconfigured for each specific mission.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']USGI 1/7 Twist Rate [/span]
    The USGI 1/7 twist rate of all of the BCM barrels is the preferred twist rate by most professional infantryman. This twist rate has proven very versatile and can effectively run the new heavier 5.56 ammo that is hugely popular with military and private security personal for its’ superior ballistics.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Mil-Spec 11595E - Barrel Steel [/span]
    BCM barrel steel is Mil-Spec per MIL-B-11595E. This grade (CMV) of steel is a Mil-Spec steel used in the USGI M16 family of rifles; it is stronger and will last longer than the typical barrels offered in the commercial market. The Mil-Spec grade steel gets its’ additional strength and rigidity from an increase in carbon and/or vanadium in the alloy. This will offer increased barrel life and performance through use in all types of extreme environments and temperatures.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Chrome Bore and Chamber[/span]
    One of the first modifications that were made to the original M16 in the mid 1960’s was the addition of the chrome lined bore and chamber. It is now a world wide standard in the industry for a battle rifle. The chrome bore and chamber is harder than the barrel steel and on the USGI M16/M4 rifles will aid in chambering, extraction, and reliability. It increases velocity, and also resist against fouling and corrosion from extended use in the field. This gives the end user a longer barrel life with less required time in maintenance and cleaning.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish [/span]
    Barrels are parkerized with the manganese phosphate finish (Mil-Spec A-A-59267). Military specifications also state that the entire barrel surface is phosphate finished to create a porous surface to absorb oil as to resist against corrosion from the elements. BCM barrels are phosphated before installation of front sights. This is a much more extensive assembly operation, but insures that the entire barrel is finished and protected . . .even under the front sight base.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']5.56 NATO Chambers [/span]
    The USGI 5.56 NATO chamber is the best choice for effective deployment, reliability, and compatibility, of higher chamber pressures of military ammo.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sight Bases[/span]
    Mil-Spec for rifles issued to the troops require taller front sight bases on all flat top AR rifles. Many commercial offerings use M16A2 height front sight bases on all of their barrels regardless of what type of upper it is installed on. As a result, owners of rifles and carbines with the flat top receiver configuration can have problems getting a proper 'zero' for elevation with Mil-Spec back up iron sights. As all of the BCM uppers are built for flat top uppers, all have the proper Mil-Spec F marked front sight base to insure the correct height for iron sight zeroing when using military iron sights. Mil-Spec taper pins secure the forged front sight base with the sling swivel secured by tubular rivets.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Government Barrel Profiles [/span]
    Duty rifles are built to be carried - day in and day out. The USGI barrel profiles (often referred to as the Government Profile) enable the operator to carry their weapon for longer periods of time and deploy them faster than the heavier commercial H-Barrel counterparts. The government profile barrel is also compatible with the current M203 mounting systems.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']HPT / MP Inspected Barrels [/span]
    Military specifications require that barrels undergo a HPT (High-Pressure Test) load as a part of quality assurance procedures. Commonly referred to as a proof load, the M197 HPT is rated for 70,000 psi. BCM barrels are proof loaded and then MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) to detect any possible flaws in the barrels surface. The barrels are MP inspected with both circular and longitudinal magnetic fields per ASTME1444-01 (current Mil-Spec) to assure a high quality finished product. All BCM barrels are marked HP MP as our proof load marking.

Since the BCM program was first introduced in 2005 we have always received lots of questions as to the what/ why/ and how the program was put together. As years went on the consumer became more educated and the questions more sophisticated, which is a good thing for a company like ours.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/BCM-2.jpg

The BCM program was basically designed with the philosophy of “no shortcuts”. Whether the consumer will notice the short cut or not, does not matter; “no shortcuts”. The specs and standards are set up so that if I or anyone was in the fight of their life, would I be 100% confident I could grab any BCM gun off the rack it would be good enough to take to a gunfight. That is why we use our tag line: “Professional Grade Weaponry™”.
    For years the commercial market has built versions of the AR15 with the freedom to implement a variety of cost savings measures in an effort to more effectively compete in the market place. To 95% of shooters these cost saving measures would never affect the performance of their rifle with the type of use it would see in its life span. But to the very small percentage of commercial customers who either required or desired their carbine to be built to a certain standard, we were proud and hopeful to offer BCM as possible option that could fit their needs.
    But what are they differences? Quite frankly there are so many, it can be exhaustive to list them all. Every time I think I have a complete list, I am reminded of another. But let’s put some of them out there, many of which are rarely mentioned.
    Please note that many specifics and technical details of the differences are considered intellectual property and won’t be disclosed. Also we would not share supply or sourcing information, or photos of gauging, fixturing, or set ups. Those can be expensive to develop and perfect. We are going to be careful not to disclose more of a road map for the competition to follow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/BCM4 Lowers/BCM4stock.jpg

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Butt stock[/span]
    Starting at the rear of the carbine, the BCM M4 stock is based on the USGI mold. It is built to milspec dimensions in every respect, including the composition of the polymer. Even the latch hardware receives the correct heat treat, and secured with lock nut and roll pin. (Our A2 stock includes metal butt plates, per spec)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/BCM4 Lowers/IMG_3476.jpg
    USGI M4 Stock on left/ Commericial M4 stock on right

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/HPT MPI/IMG_3470.jpg

[span style='font-weight: bold;']7075-T6 Receiver Extension[/span]
    The BCM receiver extension is machined from 7075-T6 aluminum. It is machined to the government print; respective to material, manufacturing process, dimensions, hard coat anodizing, and it even has the dry film lube on the interior ID. The only non Milspec modification is that ours are drilled for 6 positions, as we felt it would be more marketable, but not really sure it makes a big difference. This part ends up costing us about double that of 6061 tubes that are machined to a milspec OD or a commercial OD. Most of the milspec dimension tubes on the market are 6061. We run our own product with 7075-T6 (OEM inquiries are welcome).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/BCM4 Lowers/BCMstakedendplate.jpg

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Staking the lock nut[/span]
    The receiver extension is installed in the BCM lower receiver and held in place with a M4 lock nut, and then the end plate is staked to hold the nut in place. Milspecs do not allow for a thread locking compound and we do not advocate using one. It makes stock removal a big mess, and it’s not needed if the stock in installed properly. We built a special staking tool, to fit perfectly on M4 lock nuts and all end plates are staked to insure they stay secure. (Sorry, we don’t offer them for sale) If you run your carbine hard and your lock nut is not staked in place you will end up with problems of the nut coming loose, end plate coming loose, receiver extension rotating, rear take down detent spring getting lost out of the back of the receiver, maybe losing your buffer detent inside your receiver, maybe locking up your carrier, etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/BCM4 Lowers/BCMHbuffer.jpg

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Milspec H Buffers[/span]
    BCM carbines come standard with H buffers. There are both “commercial” Hbuffers and Milspec ones. The commercial ones are almost as heavy. They use a much less expensive carbide/tungsten of buffer weight. The weight is about 10% lighter, but costs about half as much. I believe that spec is the milspec for the Canadian military. However Uncle Sam only calls out for the full tungsten weights in the H series of buffers. So that is what comes in all BCM guns.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/BCM4 Lowers/BCMLOW.jpg

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Lower Receivers[/span]
    BCM lower receivers are machined with a lower rear shelf. This is an added feature for customer interested in owning a RDIAS, as they will only fit in low shelf receivers. Also, if a customer wants to add an Accuwedge, you will need a low shelf as well for it to properly fit without trimming 50% of it away.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/BCM4 Lowers/BCMHAMMER.jpg

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Semi auto hammer[/span]
    The hammer is the non-notched version of a semi auto hammer. Not having the notching offers an increased reliability when using a SP1 type of carrier (with an un-shrouded firing pin). The notched hammers can bind up on the un-shrouded carriers if the disco lets loose. If your carbine is a range toy, its ok for the hammer to lock up when your disco malfunctions, but if you carry your carbine in the line of duty that is a liability I would not be interest in having.
    Another small benefit to the non-notched semi auto hammer is it will function with a 9mm conversion if you every choice to set up your lower in that configuration.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/HPT MPI/IMG_3471.jpg

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Dry Film Lube[/span]
    One of the most common questions/concerns/complaints we get on the BCM upper receiver is the interior finish. Some folks think its unfinished anodizing, or worn finish, or some type of problem. What you are seeing is a dry film lube and it’s a good thing. Many commercial upper receivers may skip that step as it is a cost savings, and most folks would not notice the difference. But Uncle Sam wants it on there, and so does BCM. The dry film lube is a grayish milky type finish. It is sprayed on the interior after the hard coat anodizing is applied. It is then baked into the receiver for about 45 minutes at 250 degrees. The dry film lube is just what it sounds like. It adds lubricity to the interior of the receiver where the bolt group and charging handle travel. It’s a good thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/HPT MPI/IMG_3469.jpg

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Milspec Forward Assist[/span]
    Something most folks will never notice is the BCM forward assist. Commercial forward assists have pawls that are machined from castings, and the caps are simply press fit on. The milspec/BCM forward assists have pawls machined from tool steel, heat treated assemblies, with caps press fit, drilled and roll pinned. The Milspec unit is a much stronger assembly. I have seen commercial ones break, I have yet to see a Milspec one break. A broken pawl lodged in your upper group is a bad day. Yes, I know most folks don’t do S-P-O-R-T-S anymore, and we do a version of tap-rack-roll-bang, so maybe it doesn’t matter what quality of forward assist is in your carbine. But one is the correct milspec and one is not. The Milspec costs double, and it’s in your BCM carbine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/HPT MPI/IMG_3467.jpg

[span style='font-weight: bold;']F-Front Sight Base[/span]
    The F-front sight base is secured with taper pins instead of straight dowel pins. This process takes approximately twice as long (therefore costs about twice as much), but offers a stronger assembled unit. The holes have to be first drilled then reamed (2/0) to a specific depth. This assembly is stronger because with a tapered pin and tapered bore, more force driving the pin provides for more positive contact with the barrel and FSB. With straight dowel pins, more force on the pin just changes the position of the pin. This final machining and assembly is done to parts that have already been phosphate (as required by the Milspec), so there may be handling and assembly marks.

BCM receivers have machined T-markings filled with paint. Most other receivers have laser t-markings. Current prints call for machined t-markings, so that is what is featured on a BCM. That type of set up does cost a bit more. Not really sure it makes much difference though. But it’s on the print, so it’s on the carbine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/BCM BOLT CARRIER GROUP PICS/BCMBCGPIC.gif

[span style='font-weight: bold;']BCM Carriers[/span]
    The carrier is chrome lined (where the bolt travels). We have built gauging at our shop (min and max, based on the call outs) to insure parts are in spec before they are in service. We check the ID at both sides of the carrier, and we check the OD. Min and max on the ID is critical as this is where the bolt/bolt rings ride to keep the gas system pressurized, (like piston rings in a combustion motor). The OD of the carrier is also important as it will determine how it moves or is restricted when running inside the upper. We also use our custom built gauging to check min/max on carrier length, and position of the cam track.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Gas Key[/span]
    We have developed a similar set of min/max gauges to check the ID and depth of the carrier key for gas tube insertion; another important component in keeping the semi auto gun running. BCM gas key are also chrome lined and heat treated per gov specs, and secured with grade 8 US made fasteners. Many commercial carbines use the less expensive keys and chicom fasteners, and that means softer. The BCM gas key is staked with the hardened fasteners with our staking fixture. You will probably never notice it as a casual shooter, but once the carbine is run hard and put through its paces a softer commercial gas key and softer chicom fastener will yield a softer staking, and is the most common failure point as the carbine begins short stroking because the gas system has lost pressure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...LT CARRIER GROUP PICS/STCK0659-1024-Stick.jpg

[span style='font-weight: bold;']BCM Bolts[/span]
    BCM bolts are machined from Carpenter 158® steel. Many commercial bolts are machined from 8620, 4140, 9310, etc. All of which cost a fraction of cost of the real milspec material. The material costs quite a bit less and have carrying costs that are significantly less due the easy accessibility of those types of steels.

Bolt heat treating is one of the most critical processes in producing a quality product. The bolt sees a tremendous amount of stress inside the weapon system. The bolt needs to be hardened properly to last, but cannot be too brittle for it would be prone to cracking. While the surface needs to be hard, the center of the bolt needs to be softer in order for the bolt to serve its life span. This is another area where it’s easy to short cut, or complicated to complete properly – depending on your point of view.
    Milspecs have a recommended heat treat procedure to include, stress relieving, carburizing, quench, tempering, etc, but a very specific call out for resulting effective case depth hardness. The BCM bolts meet the standard.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Shot peening.[/span] Basically its media blasted against a surface. It is done after the heat treating and grinding. Most commercially available bolts do not include this step, but the Milspec requires it.
    More general info can be found here;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_peening
    So if we blast media against the surface of a bolt, does that mean its “Milspec”? No.
    I suppose you could place the items in a spinning drum while media blasts the parts. The parts spin around for a predetermined amount of time and then they are removed. Parts are now shot peened? Ok. Parts are now Milspec? Hardly. Who knows which parts got exposed to the shot, who knows for how long they were exposed, who knows that any standard was really met? Who knows if the goals were accomplished? Milspec bolts are shot peened per Mil-S-13165, and the call outs are very specific, as the type of media, the intensity of the media, and the areas to be covered on the part. The specifics of which will not be disclosed in an open forum, but the BCM bolt meets the standard.

Regarding the cam pin, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin, gas key, fasteners, etc… all parts are sourced separately for our products. A final inspection, assembly, and test firing of BCGs are done here. (same with all small parts on the carbine)

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Chrome lined barrels[/span] can be almost anything in the commercial market. There are a variety of ways to chrome a bore, most of which cost less than the milspec method. The call outs for hard chrome on Milspec barrels are different in the chamber than the bore and very specific to min thickness, with the bore having a higher min film thickness. It is this same call out that requires; all non chrome plated surfaces to have phosphate coating (Mil-Std-171). BCM barrels are chromed per print requirements.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/HPT MPI/hptbcmcar.jpg
    (just as a note, HPT is not done on a completed rifle. )

Regarding a HPT/MPI process on bolts and barrels.

The biggest differences will be the following details in the Milspec Requirements:
    1) Independently certified 11595E Barrel Steel vs. a 4150, 4150 Mod, or CMV variant
    2) HPT on barrels
    3) HPT on bolts
    4) An MPI process that is specific to the procedure, acceptance criteria and exclusion criteria as written into the Mil STD.

Those 4 things have a sum greater than it parts and must ALL be done in order to meet the standard.

Number 1 is critical because if you do not start with 11595E independently certified steel you will NOT be able to use the MILSPEC standards for MPI acceptance (#4).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/HPT MPI/barrelSteelCertp1.jpg

This is an example of one of our 11595 steel certs. (page 1 of a 5 or 6 page document) (our IP/Corp info redacted)

A proof load is a round that is manufactured to a larger PSI that would be normally fired in the respective chamber. NATO proofs are usually about 30% beyond the standard Milspec PSIs.
    For a 5.56 NATO Chamber that would put a HPT over 70 PSI.

Below is the data sheet for one the batches of proof loads. (our IP/Corp info redacted)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/HPT MPI/HPTCert.jpg

Number 2 & 3 are important in that they stress the barrel blank and the bolt. (They are NOT done at final assembly) This stress is designed to push a product across failures doorstep so that during MP inspection the flaws are revealed before the weapon system reveals the flaws early in the field.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/HPT MPI/pfroundscloseup.jpg

Number 4 seems to always be overlooked in casual discussions. The MPI is a test. A test is only as good or effective as the parameters set up, and the test can be set up any way you want. As stated in our published ad copy, we set ours up directly as the Milspec and ASTME requires. Which means it is set up to only “pass” a flawless piece of steel. Free from inclusions, stringers and of course cracks. I would assume any manufacture would write a PO to exclude any cracks; size, shape, depth, or length. But it would be impossible to exclude/“fail” inclusions, stringers & cracks on barrel that were not machined from 11595E steel. The failure rate on non-certified steel (in my experience) is about 30%+. A completely unsustainable figure. Therefore without starting with independently certified 11595E steel, using the Mil-Spec MPI program would not be viable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/HPT MPI/MPIreports.jpg
    Above is an example of part of a MPI Report. (our IP/Corp info redacted)

The ASTME procedure we use shows all the flaws the Mil-Specs want to see. Using a different MPI procedure will reveal fewer flaws and therefore pass more product (and fail less product). I have spent some time in a MPI booth when designing the BCM program and saw the difference. So the procedure used and the rejection criteria used are as important as the test themselves.
    Number 4 is always outsourced by a certified NDT facility. That procedure has never been brought in house.

So #4 cannot be done without #1,
    And #4 doesn’t mean as much without #2 & #3,
    And #4 doesn’t mean as much without following the letter of the Milspec.

When the rubber meets the road, what does this mean to the average shooter?
    Quite frankly; maybe not much ?
    99% of the commercial market barrels don’t have any of the 1-4 steps in any form, and those rifles are continuing to serve their owners well.
    If I have a rifle that was a not built to that standard and was running well for me, would I sell it to upgrade to a BCM or similar? No Way.

Commercial guns don’t see 1% of the hard use a .mil gun sees. I will never argue that a shooter “needs” the specs of the BCM line up (including 1-4 above, and the others) to have a good carbine. I simply wanted to offer a product that replicated those specs (all details) for shooters who might want it.

Regarding the above processes, we have done HPT in house as well as contracted with other companies to supply the service as it relates to both bolts and barrels.

Here is an example of a cert on received for the first shipment this year (our IP/Corp info redacted). The tech who receives the product is required to verify count and sku, that is why both are circled. He then signs off on the sheet (which has been cropped out of the pic)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/HPT MPI/BoltCerts1.jpg

We also have certs for springs referencing wire type, material size, free length, load, chemical composition, tensile strength, plating specs, etc. For roll pins referencing material specs, heat treat, plating, shear tests, etc. But that stuff is not very exciting to most folks.

In summary, don’t get all OCD and wrapped around the axle with if your rifle does or doesn’t meet whichever of the specs. If you have run your rifle hard, and it works in the applications you need it to, move on. You are your own judge and jury as to what you need as it relates to your budget and your mission with the rifle. IMHO, you would serve yourself much better by spending that time, effort, and energy in insuring you are proficient with your carbine. All the specs and standards in the world won’t offer much help if you cannot effectively deploy your carbine. This forum and others have a good number of training schools listed. The straight no-BS answer is you will be much farther ahead if you spend more money with those schools and less money with Bravo Co.

Thank you for reading,
    Paul

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/Run-it-hard-1205.jpg

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    This thread brings up a sad issue. What ARE the HBAR options other than the windham, 6721, and M&P sport. Or is that it??? :shrug:

Also everything Colt Competition makes is an HBAR. All come with sub-MOA test targets and the same guarantee. Everything is either 5.56 chamber or Wylde chambered. All triggers are either Colt Match or Geissele. Not made by Colt but by Bold Ideas in Texas. I like the 14.5RR myself :)

http://www.coltcompetitionrifle.com/Default.aspx

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    WTF is she doing unshouldering and looking at the right side of the gun a few times??? I didn't get sound from the vid if that explained it. Any experienced AR15/M16 shooter knows when last round fired from mag; you don't hear "twwaaaannnnnggggg", you hear "twnk".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom