• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .22 Semi Auto chose one or list one

• Total voters
    I'm looking for a .22 semi auto and would like it to eventually host a suppressor later down the road. I'm not overly familiar with the good, bad, & ugly of the .22 semi auto pistols so I turn to MS for help. I'm throwing a poll on here with some I have found but I really don't know much about them. Any input would be helpful I like the Walther p22 and Sig mosquito but hear they have problems, I don't want a revolver or ones like the Buckmark or Ruger Mark II/III (they just don't intrest me for some reason).

S&W M&P22
    Sig Sauer 22 LR Full Size
    ISSC M111000

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I have a GSG 1911 and I like it alot and it come almost ready for a suppressor, just need to order an adapter online. I got to pick up and hold a Tac Sol .22 upper for the 1911's too and I really like it. I dont really know which one is the best, but I think you should check out some of these .22 1911's that are on the market. Some of them are pretty sweet.

FYI: I let my brother use my GSG and he told me something broke and its not firing (the firing pin?) I havent gotten a chance to look at it so I really have no idea yet, it might be something simple and easy to fix. Its had several thousands of rounds through it and has been used and abused. I just thought I would throw that out there and be totally honest about mine since I just recommended looking at one, I wouldnt discount them because of something like that though. I still like mine and cant wait to fix it.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Unless you are looking for a subcaliber training duplicate for your major piece the S&W 22A is a great setup. The switchbarrel capability allows you to go from box stock to unlimited class with the push of a button. The fully railed top makes mounting optics too easy.
    For under $700 you can buy the gun set up a 7" barrel with a scope, a 5 or 7" with a reddot for speed work and a 5"er with target sights for box stock plinking.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I have a GSG 1911 and I like it alot and it come almost ready for a suppressor, just need to order an adapter online. I got to pick up and hold a Tac Sol .22 upper for the 1911's too and I really like it. I dont really know which one is the best, but I think you should check out some of these .22 1911's that are on the market. Some of them are pretty sweet.

FYI: I let my brother use my GSG and he told me something broke and its not firing (the firing pin?) I havent gotten a chance to look at it so I really have no idea yet, it might be something simple and easy to fix. Its had several thousands of rounds through it and has been used and abused. I just thought I would throw that out there and be totally honest about mine since I just recommended looking at one, I wouldnt discount them because of something like that though. I still like mine and cant wait to fix it.

The Sig 1911's are made in the same factory as the GSG 1911's, but come with some better finish options-- flat desert earth for one and nicer grips than the GSG, but other than that identical in every internal way.... My GSG 1911 has been flawless for coming up on 8000 rounds----love it! The Sig 1911's run about $50-$75 more per gun than the GSG--you're paying a little extra for the Sig logo and finish options...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I didn't vote, but here's my $0.02. Since you don't want the two .22 pistols that are the easiest to suppress, pick whichever of the above you prefer shooting and find a threaded barrel for it.

aethyr

May 19, 2011
    Middle River, MD
    Voted for the Sig, but not limited to the 220 you chose.
    226 and 229 can also be converted to 22lr very simply and are outstanding alternatives.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Although you stated you are not interested in the Ruger Mark, that is what I recommend. Ruger Mark I, II, and III are affordable and shoot like a dream. If they don't interest you, don't buy one. I do recommend that you shoot one. That might change your mind.

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    I have a Sig P226 conversion kit that I run with a supressor. I also have a Mosquito. I have to say the full sized gun with a can is a heck of alot of fun, and when done plinking I can throw the 357Sig or 40 s&w upper on and have a good major caliber pistol. The mosquito has it's share if issues with different ammo types and it has a very heavy trigger. Since getting the 226 conversion the mosquito has been shuffled to the bottom of the stack.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I'd say a Sig conversion or Mosquito. My dad has a Mosquito and it is ammo picky. It runs flawlessly with cci mini-mags, but won't take cheap bulk pack stuff. It does have a long trigger pull as well, sort of like a double action. Overall I like it though; it's very light and comfortable and groups well.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Smith and Wesson Model 41. Still the benchmark of what a .22 pistol should be.

FWIW, maybe I've been lucky, but I have a Mosquito that has been 100% reliable. My only problem with it is that it's not terribly accurate (~1" at 25 feet), which really isn't a fair criticism because it's not a target pistol; it's a plinker. For $300, it's a lot of fun to shoot, especially with a suppressor.

(Gratuitous Model 41 pic)

130511_01_md.jpg

buffalodan

Feb 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Voted for the Sig, but not limited to the 220 you chose.
    226 and 229 can also be converted to 22lr very simply and are outstanding alternatives.

Not trying to hijack the thread but i have a 229 E2 and am interested in getting a 22lr conversion for it, I was told by a friend that the conversion kits can be problematic. Any idea if that's an issue?

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Normally I'd say Ruger MK series as well, but if that's not really your cup of tea, then I'd vote for the M&P, I may be a bit biased since I have the full size .45 M&P and love it.

The GSG 1911 .22's are also pretty nice for the money, have limited trigger time with one, but was pleasantly surprised at it's performance and accuracy at 7 and 10 yards on bulk .22, one I shot came with factory threaded barrel, so it may be one to consider also.

lensman

lensman
    Mar 14, 2012
    Near Annapolis
    Don't overlook the Ruger MK (x)

I don't shoot much pistol any more but, from what you've described, I'd recommend a hard look at a Ruger .22 Auto in any number of configurations (blued or stainless, different barrel lengths/weights, etc.). They're practically unbreakable, won't wear out, can be customized ad infinitum and are fairly inexpensive, both new and used.

I don't know what your supressor plans are (and really don't want to know) but if it involves clandestine operations, you may need to abandon your weapon in a hurry to avoid detection. If that happens, you're more likely to dump a cheaper gun than a pricier one.

Just my $.02 worth.

Welcome to the forums and great first post lensman, I was looking at the Sig Sauer 22 LR Full Size because it converts to .45 but I also don't really care about it converting to and from different calibers if it was a dedicated .22 I'm ok with that as well. I want it to be reliable & a good host for a suppressor is my main concern I honestly just don't like the look of the Ruger MK(x) or .22 of similar styles and if I don't like the way a weapon looks I won't buy them (this is the reason I don't own a glock). I also had not really looked at the .22 1911's (don't know why) yet but I will search around and see if any of the above mentioned strike my interest. thanks for the input guys keep it coming.

ETA: I just looked at the GSG and I like it are they reliable with and without a suppressor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom