• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NitroMidgets

Apr 22, 2009
    Hello everyone. I am a long time gun owner but only now getting back into the sport. My father bought my 10yr old son his first rifle. He got him a Cricket. My son was all excited to learn to shoot. I made him memorize the rules for the local gun range before I would agree to take him. So it looks like Cresap Rifle Club is where I will be headed this weekend. None of my shotguns have slug barrels on them and I'm looking forward to shooting with my son. So much so I went and bought a 17 HMR of my own to go shoot with him. Anybody been to that range? Do they have rests or anything?

Any advice for teaching a 10yr old how to shoot? I don't think I should try the tough love, profanity and ridicule that so many of us remember from days gone by.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Welcome

Great getting your son into to!! Teach SAEFTY, SAFETY SAFETY!!!

1. Muzzle in a safe direction
    2. A gun is always loaded.
    3. finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.

I just bought my 9 yr old pink Crickett...good job

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    Welcome

Great getting your son into to!! Teach SAEFTY, SAFETY SAFETY!!!

1. Muzzle in a safe direction
    2. A gun is always loaded.
    3. finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.

I just bought my 9 yr old pink Crickett...good job

Welcome to your "other addiction"...glad to have you around!

I'm looking to get my girlfriend a pink Crickett for her birthday in July so she may become "associated" with firearms. :D

NitroMidgets

Apr 22, 2009
    Thanks everyone. The last time I fired a gun when in the military but its been years since then. I grew up around them and use to enjoy target shooting before moving on to pig hunting out in California. Never got into deer hunting though.
    I would be perfectly happy if my son got into target shooting and then the marksman competitions later on. It beats the hell out of video games and watching TV.

m21att1

Nov 19, 2007
    Anybody been to that range? Do they have rests or anything?

I frequent Cresap and it is a nice range. It can get crowded, but yes they do have bench rests for you to setup at and they have 50 yd. and 100 yd. rifle lanes to shoot at. On top of that it's cheap to shoot there!

NitroMidgets

Apr 22, 2009
    I frequent Cresap and it is a nice range. It can get crowded, but yes they do have bench rests for you to setup at and they have 50 yd. and 100 yd. rifle lanes to shoot at. On top of that it's cheap to shoot there!
    Thank you. Its good to hear they have rests. If I am going this Sunday is it likely to be crowded to the point where I should take my son another day?

capTIM

Carroll County Drunkard
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sykesville
    Welcome! You should also try Hap Baker if you haven't already. That's where I always go. It's in Westminster behind the landfill and only costs $10 for Carroll Countyians(?).

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Welcome to your "other addiction"...glad to have you around!

I'm looking to get my girlfriend a pink Crickett for her birthday in July so she may become "associated" with firearms. :D

The stock may be too small for your girlfriend. Ruger 10/22 and Mossberg 702/802 both make pink stocks and probably better sized for her

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom