• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    Is there a spec to determine if a barrel is lite, normal, or heavy? I ask because I was at a gun shop in WV today and noticed all their AR style rifles had their business names. What I mean is, I asked if they were manufacturing their own AR style rifles, and they answered yes. I then asked if they had any H-Bar rifles on display, because I didn't see one that looked like it had a heavy barrel. Their answer was "You must live in Maryland. Most all out AR style rifles are MD legal. The ones that aren't are marked as Lite barrel." I then said "all the non-lite barrel rifles look like normal AR barrels.." Their reply was, "MD law says only heavy barrels are legal. The catch is that the manufacture determines what's heavy or not and we consider all out barrels as heavy and mark the non heavy as lite."

Is there truth to this? I guess it's another "loophole" like with the what MD considers large capacity mags, if what he said is true.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Stop saying "Loophole" No loopholes, just following the law.

Anyway, for 223/5.56 AR barrels they have to be either marked or marketed as HBAR or Heavy. So if they say it;s heavy, it's heavy. There are no measurements or specifications in the law.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    SOME shops will only sell an AR (or transfer) if the profile of the barrel matches a colt HBAR profile.
    I have been into some shops where they pulled the hand guard off to inspect that the barrel did not reduce down on the inside.
    Yes, its a bit ambiguous.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The specification isn't ambiguous , there simply isn't one .

Marked as HBAR/ Heavy or so advertised by the Mfg IS the rule .

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Is there a spec to determine if a barrel is lite, normal, or heavy? I ask because I was at a gun shop in WV today and noticed all their AR style rifles had their business names. What I mean is, I asked if they were manufacturing their own AR style rifles, and they answered yes. I then asked if they had any H-Bar rifles on display, because I didn't see one that looked like it had a heavy barrel. Their answer was "You must live in Maryland. Most all out AR style rifles are MD legal. The ones that aren't are marked as Lite barrel." I then said "all the non-lite barrel rifles look like normal AR barrels.." Their reply was, "MD law says only heavy barrels are legal. The catch is that the manufacture determines what's heavy or not and we consider all out barrels as heavy and mark the non heavy as lite."

Is there truth to this? I guess it's another "loophole" like with the what MD considers large capacity mags, if what he said is true.
    yes.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    The specification isn't ambiguous , there simply isn't one .

Marked as HBAR/ Heavy or so advertised by the Mfg IS the rule .
    Do you have to have a FFL to be considered a manufacturer? What if I identify as one...and have marketing materials for "my" barrels...

I thought at home building was technically manufacturing to the ATF

Snardo

Nov 25, 2019
    Related question: is it only .223/5.56 rifles that have the heavy barrel requirement? Would I avoid that issue with a .300BLK or similar AR rifle?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Related question: is it only .223/5.56 rifles that have the heavy barrel requirement? Would I avoid that issue with a .300BLK or similar AR rifle?
    Yes . Specifically semi auto 5.56/.223 rifles.

I believe gas piston rifles in 5.56/.223 are exempt from required heavy barrels.

Last edited:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The fine folks at Centurion Arms will engrave "HBAR" on most of their barrels for $25 extra. They're great barrels, too.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

It is really a carve-out, not a loophole.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    What about SBR 5.56 barrels… do they have to be HBAR or are they exempt? Because finding a 11.5 HBAR ain’t easy.

Feb 28, 2013
    SOME shops will only sell an AR (or transfer) if the profile of the barrel matches a colt HBAR profile.
    I have been into some shops where they pulled the hand guard off to inspect that the barrel did not reduce down on the inside.
    Yes, its a bit ambiguous.
    Thats the best way to prove it

Any idiot can stamp any barrel they want and say” well this is how I got it”

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    so the way I look at it is if the barrel is not stamped or marketed as being a heavy barrel it's not compliant and that's 10 years if the police notice it.
    2 barrels from the same manufacturer can be the exact same in spec down to the T, if they didn't stamp it as heavy or state so on their website just don't buy it save yourself now so you don't have to waste 10 years later and yes it only applies to 5.56 and 223 barrels, if you get a 16+" 9mm barrel it can be a normal barrel

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom