• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • River Hill

Dec 15, 2012
    Maryland
    A couple of year ago I switched over to electronic muffs and have tried two different kinds, but I am thinking about going back to standard muffs. I really don't like doubling up, so I am looking for a good muff that will provide lots of protection. Any suggestions?

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I like the cheap Muffs that Walmart has. I believe the are like 12 bucks and they work great

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Went to wally world today looking for eye & ear protection. The only muffs they had were a pink set & sets of the electronic ones. Didn't get any. Pink's not my color.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Went to wally world today looking for eye & ear protection. The only muffs they had were a pink set & sets of the electronic ones. Didn't get any. Pink's not my color.

Get the pink ones, run over to the paint section and get some black spray paint. Problem solved :D

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Actually, pink will be mandatory for all guns and mags if the MD General Asylum has its way...so pink ears would be "in"

If I can keep my ar15 and my beta mag an all I need is for the mag to be pink, then so be it. I have no problem using a hot pink beta mag

EGM

May 2, 2009
    AA County
    A couple of year ago I switched over to electronic muffs and have tried two different kinds, but I am thinking about going back to standard muffs. I really don't like doubling up, so I am looking for a good muff that will provide lots of protection. Any suggestions?

I've used the Peltor Ultimate 10 and the President models. Both are kind of bulky but can get the job done at an indoor range.

Justin B.C.

Walken is a scary clown!!
    Dec 25, 2012
    What EGM said. Check these out as well, Peltor Shotgunner Muffs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...oogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

Generally speaking, as former audiology tech that provided services for the military, I would recommend double ear protection, using some foam plugs and then muffs. If you really don't want to, try to find muffs with at least a 19-25 NRR (noise reduction rating). I personally use and love the Peltor Soundtraps (I know, they are electronic) because the filter on them is really good.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/peltor-tactical-6-sound-tra-sound-trap-trade-slim-line-mt15h67fb.html

EDIT: Put Peltor Sound Trap link just above.

Last edited:

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Does the Peltor behind the head model seal around the ears as well as the Ultimate 10 model?

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks guys. I've been looking for a good pair, but like guns & ammo around here, they seem to be popular.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I just bought a cheap Walkers Alpha's on Ebay, they are way cool, drown out loud noises and you can hear your feet crunch beneath you. I would have LOVED to have had these on a flight deck where everything was done by hand signals and you needed all the protection you could get.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

I would like to know what brands/models you did not like ...

The 2 I looked at in December both had around 30db reduction ... you don't get a lot more than that with any standard muffs without significantly lightening your wallet

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

I'm rethinking hearing protection as well. I have a hard time getting close to my AR with standard muffs on.

Justin B.C.

Walken is a scary clown!!
    Dec 25, 2012
    Peltor Soundtraps work well with my M16A2 when I was in:
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/peltor-tactical-6-sound-tra-sound-trap-trade-slim-line-mt15h67fb.html

Peltor Combat Arms 2nd Gen (get 3rd Gen if you can find them, Ebay or something):
    http://www.earplugstore.com/aosinranplug.html

The Combat Arms shown are dual plugs: if the yellow side is sticking out, you are "fully protected"; if the black (tactical) side is out, you will be able to hear nearly normally, but impulse noises (like a rifle shot) are filtered.

I DO NOT recommend the Surefire Sonic Defenders (which are billed as a combat plug), simply because the rounded plastic piece that is supposed to hold it in place only fits some folks. It is very easy with those to believe you are protected, yet end up with hearing loss because of fit.

I do not work for or even necessarily endorse Peltors, I have just had extensive experience with them and 3M products while I was in the Army, and subsequently after I separated and started working as an audiology tech for the Army.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom