• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    Whats everyone wearing for hearing pro? I was using Peltor's for awhile and just got my MSA Sordin PRO X's in the mail today and they are awesome. Haven't had a chance to shoot with them on, but sound amplification is great :) I was watching a movie and it sounded like I wasn't wearing earmuffs.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    The hearing protection I wear is the same, be careful not to use them by themselves when shooting at an indoor range. Other than that they are awesome.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Before I got these I was removing my hearing protection too much on the out door range. These are a little pricey, but you can still hear conversations when other people are shooting. 33DB protection.

278796.jpg

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    3rdRCN, yup got out last spring. 0311, down in Camp Horno, 3rd was out of Margarita right?

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    I have a lot of respect for Old Corps Marines...Salt dogs:thumbsup:

Mike how much were those? I paid like $280 for my MSA's haha

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    Did IT at Pendelton in '78.......whoa....I'm getting old...2nd class through without the recoiless and mule combo. Got to fire multiple 202's before it dragged someone down range with it....Here's a flash back for you older jarheads. There's a 50 call spotting rifle on top of that thang! I would love one of these to play with. Just the mules were around $7000.

Attachments

• Pre TOW (Small).jpg
      Pre TOW (Small).jpg
      71.4 KB · Views: 143

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    How hard are those to shoot rifle or shotgun with Mike? It looks like they might mess with the cheek weld a bit. Have you had any problems with them on indoor ranges?

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    How hard are those to shoot rifle or shotgun with Mike? It looks like they might mess with the cheek weld a bit. Have you had any problems with them on indoor ranges?

90% of my shooting is pistol. The Pro Ear Gold 33DB is best suited for pistol, but I use them for bench rest rifle shooting too since that postion doesn't seem to interfere with good shooting. For trap shooting and high power competitions I use foam plugs because I don't want anything in my way.

The problem with the indoor range (I shoot at On Target) is that the ventilation system is in the same frequency range as speech. The result is that it amplifies the ventilation system noise too so that makes it very difficult to hear any speech. I usually use foam plugs with the pro Ears at OnTarget and set the amplification to max if I want to hear conversations. In my opinion, if you only shoot at indoor ranges I would use the 31DB Peltor (non-amplified) ear muffs with foam plugs.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    90% of my shooting is pistol. The Pro Ear Gold 33DB is best suited for pistol, but I use them for bench rest rifle shooting too since that postion doesn't seem to interfere with good shooting. For trap shooting and high power competitions I use foam plugs because I don't want anything in my way.

The problem with the indoor range (I shoot at On Target) is that the ventilation system is in the same frequency range as speech. The result is that it amplifies the ventilation system noise too so that makes it very difficult to hear any speech. I usually use foam plugs with the pro Ears at OnTarget and set the amplification to max if I want to hear conversations. In my opinion, if you only shoot at indoor ranges I would use the 31DB Peltor (non-amplified) ear muffs with foam plugs.

That's the one good thing about the MSA model, they are tapered at the bottom and I have found that they work quite well shooting anything from shotgun to rifle and in any position.

The biggest downside I have heard or experienced with the electronic muffs is that they do not do well on indoor pistol ranges when you have multiple shots being fired simultaneously. I found this out the hard way by using just the muffs on a fairly busy indoor range and didn't notice while shooting but upon leaving all I heard was ringing in my ears for a day or so, since then I double up when going indoors.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    The biggest downside I have heard or experienced with the electronic muffs is that they do not do well on indoor pistol ranges when you have multiple shots being fired simultaneously. I found this out the hard way by using just the muffs on a fairly busy indoor range and didn't notice while shooting but upon leaving all I heard was ringing in my ears for a day or so, since then I double up when going indoors.

Most (or at least all the ones I've worked at) military ranges require double hearing protection on indoor ranges. I'm not going to say its enforced, but...
    Foamies, with electronic ear pro works pretty good but as you can imagine you lose some of the benefit of the amplifying circuits.

BTW I have six sets of Radians Pro-AMP ear pro and recommend them.
    http://www.gundogsonline.com/hearin...an-pro-amp-electronic-hearing-protection.html

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    MSA Supreme pro's. They are low-pro enough to not interfere with cheek welds on rifles and/or shotguns. They have a radio plug, so I can listen to my ipod (on days when I have the range to myself). They are comfortable for all-day use and provide adequate, though not stellar, noise reduction. If you have sensitive ears and need a higher NRR, avoid these.
    If I could justify the $1500 expense, I would get rid of them and buy custom, in-ear protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom