• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gerres26

Jun 21, 2010
    Ceciltucky
    So I'm thinking of buying a new lower now that we can purchase them and building a new AR. I want this build to have a barrel that's 14.5 pinned to 16 so that it's legal. Is this still ok to do as long as the barrel is an hbar with the new laws that have passed? Also, I can't find a 14.5" hbar anywhere so I guess my best bet would be to have one cut down and then have it pinned from there? ?

What do you guys think?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    We at Engage have HBAR 14.7" White Oak barrels in stock (fluted and unfluted). We also have uppers in stock with A2 FHs pinned and welded, and can pin/weld any hider/brake you want on it.

Feb 28, 2013
    So I'm thinking of buying a new lower now that we can purchase them and building a new AR. I want this build to have a barrel that's 14.5 pinned to 16 so that it's legal. Is this still ok to do as long as the barrel is an hbar with the new laws that have passed? Also, I can't find a 14.5" hbar anywhere so I guess my best bet would be to have one cut down and then have it pinned from there? ?

What do you guys think?

Under state law that would be fine, but in order for that to be legal without NFA paperwork your muzzle device would have to be both pinned AND welded.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Excuse my ignorance here but something that I've always wondered is why would someone go to all the expense and trouble to get a 14 1/2" barrel and then weld a flashhider on it when 16" barrels are everywhere?
    What's the advantage?

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    Excuse my ignorance here but something that I've always wondered is why would someone go to all the expense and trouble to get a 14 1/2" barrel and then weld a flashhider on it when 16" barrels are everywhere?
    What's the advantage?

Only thing I can think is to keep it at 16".... Most 16" barrels are at 18 or greater after the cage....
    Just my opinion :innocent0

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    how long is an SBR taking these days?

Entirely too long IMO. 6-9 months, on paper forms. Shorter via a trust.

Does an a2 pinned and welded to a 14.7" barrel exceed 16"?

The extended A2 cage would bring you up to 16.2", IIRC.

On the pinned and welded requirement...Could one pin the flash hider then weld the pin to the flash hider? Is that how it is actually done?

Full weld, over the pin and around the cage to barrel.

Pinned and welded before attaching to lower, correct?

Correct.

**If I'm wrong, feel free to correct as needed.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    ATF direction on perm attached muzzle devices:

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

My thread here has pics of the steps I took for pinning and welding.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Does an a2 pinned and welded to a 14.7" barrel exceed 16"?

I believe a 14.7 with a standard A2 flash hider is over 16" unlike the 14.5" which requires an extended flash hider. At least that's what PSA says. A friend got a 14.7" upper to pin and weld and it came with a standard flash hider. We should probably measure it just to be sure before we weld.

Yeah, PSA says that a 14.7" just needs a standard A2 flash hider to be pinned to it.
    www.palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/14-5/psa-14-7-hf-m4a1-upper.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom