HB0824 (2023) - Public Safety - Regulated Firearms - Possession and Permits to Carry, Wear, and Transport a Handgun

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Thanks for this update. Disappointing but not surprising. Looks like low-income people are going to be financially prohibited from exercising the right to self-defense outside the home. Nothing to see here, though.
    “…That said, because any permitting scheme can be put toward abusive ends, we do not rule out constitutional challenges to shall-issue regimes where, for example, lengthy wait times in processing license applications or exorbitant fees deny ordinary citizens their right to public carry.”

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    “…That said, because any permitting scheme can be put toward abusive ends, we do not rule out constitutional challenges to shall-issue regimes where, for example, lengthy wait times in processing license applications or exorbitant fees deny ordinary citizens their right to public carry.”
    Yep. We don't pay the government for free speech, assembly, voting, association or any other civil rights. The state has now created a bifurcated right entitlement system that will exclude the populations most at risk for being victims of violent crime, including women, people of color in urban areas and other minorities.

This bill and its racist and discriminatory provisions MUST not stand. This regulation is the reanimation of Jim Crow laws and red lining. HB 824 is abusive, discriminatory and racist legislation, pure and simple.

Shame on the HJC for passing it out of committee, and for Johns Hopkins to fund this regulatory abomination. I hope the people of Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Prince's George County, Carroll County and others are raising holy hell about this to their delegates.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yep. We don't pay the government for free speech, assembly, voting, association or any other civil rights.
    It's interesting to note that a recent study found that a large number of the under-30 set felt that the death penalty would be acceptable for some cases of hurtful speech.

Beyond that, we're told that "silence is violence."

Since both hurtful speech and silence noState licensing of oral output.
    w fall under scrutiny as "oral violence" perhaps a licensing regimen can be established, with training requirements and State licensing.

Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can also hurt me. . . . It's for the children, of course.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    They will argue that their permit fee is reasonable. Ignoring fees for other requirements such as fingerprints and excessive training. “Permitting scheme” is key, words matter.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    It's interesting to note that a recent study found that a large number of the under-30 set felt that the death penalty would be acceptable for some cases of hurtful speech.

Beyond that, we're told that "silence is violence."

Since both hurtful speech and silence noState licensing of oral output.
    w fall under scrutiny as "oral violence" perhaps a licensing regimen can be established, with training requirements and State licensing.

Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can also hurt me. . . . It's for the children, of course.
    It's best to not speak with such people unless they can demonstrate a good and substantial reason for the speaking. And also the submittal of a wealth of personal information that will be assessed up to 90 days, but if it's review is late an administrative hearing can be requested. And then there's the seven day waiting period, too. These may be best practices for managing such risky encounters with dangerous speech.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It's best to not speak with such people unless they can demonstrate a good and substantial reason for the speaking. And also the submittal of a wealth of personal information that will be assessed up to 90 days, but if it's review is late an administrative hearing can be requested. And then there's the seven day waiting period, too. These may be best practices for managing such risky encounters with dangerous speech.
    Thank you for pointing that out.

It would be awkward to be found speaking outside the conditions of my permit. Removal of our speech organs for a felony-level discharge of invective is something we all would prefer to avoid.

Last edited:

Epiphany

Feb 5, 2023
    MoCo
    I’m aware that they track it - I filled out the form…

The point is expressly requiring them to report that information yearly for each type of application action…

They think that it’s going to prove a point that they like, and I agree with Bob A - I think the real data is going to be something they’re terrified of but publicly have to pretend they support…

Tangentially, I know that introductions are good practice, but not my thing - if I wanted everyone to know me, I’d have made my username my name…

First, go to the introductions are and introduce yourself.
    Second, MSP already collect this information and track it, and have been for years and also includes occupation.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Senate President Ferguson tried to ram HB 824 (“the House version of SB-1” as Sen. West characterized it to the Senate at the 57:15 minute mark of the YouTube video below) through the Senate last night in the third of four Good Friday floor sessions, as reported on FB last night by Sen. Justin Ready:

BFB26727-0DA2-4106-8974-DAFD51E6BB96.jpeg

5A9C10DF-F4B3-48C1-8AEE-D25367C5C355.jpeg

Tyranny, delivered with a smile.

The link supplied on FB by Sen Ready last night was the Senate floor session livestream link, now dead, but I just found the video archive of last night’s floor session on YouTube.

I haven’t watched all of it yet, only to the point where JPR Chair Sen Smith as floor leader of HB-824 doesn’t want the bill to be special ordered until Monday as requested by Sen. West.

Watch here as HB-824 is brought to the floor for third reader and amendments at the 56:45 minute mark:

Archived video of this third Senate floor session of Good Friday, from the MGA website:

Last edited:

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    HB-824 passed the Senate by a vote of 28 - 13, in the fourth Senate floor session on Good Friday, last night at about 11:30 PM.

Watch the video of the final “discussion” and vote here:

55FF6CD0-5C0E-4981-9DEB-91B32D72D11D.jpeg
    E6D4A0A3-8FE5-48B2-8B5D-9EF2B292A190.jpeg

E2BAE0C6-FD4F-4D19-9037-A817341F2C36.jpeg

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    It was amended by the Senate. JUD recommended concurrence with the Senate amendments and it passed the final concurrence vote in the House. It's on the way to the Governor for signature.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    It was amended by the Senate. JUD recommended concurrence with the Senate amendments and it passed the final concurrence vote in the House. It's on the way to the Governor for signature.

And I'm pretty sure MSI already has their lawsuit ready to go, including plaintiffs. If I still lived in MD I would have signed up to be one. As it is, I'm willing to do my part from afar as soon I won't be able to travel through MD armed even though I have a valid W&C. The one positive outcome will be how hard the courts will hit the MGA for its well deserved b$tch slap.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    And HB824 isn’t the house version of SB1. They are very different hills at this point.

I was quoting Senator West.

“[T]his is the House version of SB-1” is how West characterized HB-824 to his fellow Senators last night in the amendment discussion before the floor session vote on his first amendment.

I have edited my prior post to add quotation marks and a time stamp from the video to reflect this.

Since SB-1 and HB-824 were each proposed without cross-filed bills in the other chamber, they have both been characterized in and out of the Statehouse as “versions” of each other, though they are not the same bill.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Double the fees AND 8 hours of training for renewals. WTF!!
    That won’t go well in court. Arbitrarily doubling already exorbitant costs for someone to exercise a Right. It’s a short term impediment. I believe in the long run, this helps us. It proves there is too much fuckery the GA can engage in when permits are necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom