• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Anyone have an update?

Beginning to feel like some held out signing the petition just long enough to prevent it from getting heard on the Senate side once the House passed it. They get to claim they supported us, but actually ran out the clock and prevented it from going anywhere.

Or am I just being cynical?

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Anyone have an update?

Beginning to feel like some held out signing the petition just long enough to prevent it from getting heard on the Senate side once the House passed it. They get to claim they supported us, but actually ran out the clock and prevented it from going anywhere.

I think this is plausible with my Delegate, Mr Bohanan (D). Finally heard back from his office this morning after firing off 2 emails since last Saturday. He's a "strong supporter" of 2A issues, but he wasn't a sponsor on HB52 or HB683 Repeal of Finding:

On Mar 31, 2010, Bohanan, John Delegate <John.Bohanan@house.state.md.us> wrote:

Dear Mr. Cxxx,

I apologize for not getting back to you right away. Delegate Bohanan, during his tenure in Annapolis, has always strongly supported gun owners’ and Second Amendment rights and voted against initiatives which might threaten these rights. I will check with him to see what his stance is regarding House Bill 52 and the petition.

Thank you for contacting our office.

Kathy Krohn

Office of Delegate John L. Bohanan, Jr.

301 858 3227 (Annapolis)

Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:16 PM
    To: krucam@verizon.net; Bohanan, John Delegate
    Subject: RE: House Bill 52

Delegate Bohanan,

I’ve not heard back from you one way or the other regarding your position regarding HB-52 and other pro-active 2A bills currently before you. I can only assume you’re against this bill with the non-reply.

If so, please consider that 39 of the 50 states allow concealed carry to otherwise non-prohibited persons: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35932319/ns/us_news-life

Iowa is on the verge of being the 40th state to enact shall-issue, their House and Senate overwhelmingly passed bills through this weekend: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20103300363

If 40 of 50 states can see fit to allow Libertarian approaches regarding a Fundamental, Enumerated Right…why can’t Maryland. If you’re not aware of the Supreme Court case ‘McDonald v. City of Chicago’, heard on March 2nd, please look it up. It is highly probable that many of these onerous laws will fail scrutiny once the 2nd Amendment is incorporated against the States.

I thank you for your time…

Mark Cxxx

Lexington Park

Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:19 PM
    To: 'john.bohanan@house.state.md.us'
    Subject: House Bill 52

Delegate Bohanan,

Good afternoon. My name is Mark Cxxx and I live in Lexington Park, I work at NAS Patuxent River and down in Saint Inigoes as a Defense Contractor.

I’m a registered Democrat as well who is an avid sport shooter and am a strong pro 2nd amendment supporter.

It is my understanding Delegate Michael Smigiel (sponsor of House Bill 52, out of state concealed carry reciprocity) is trying to get this bill out of Vallario’s committee and bring it to the floor for a vote. He needs help with the petition, needing only 10 more signatures to bring it to the floor.

Please let me know your position regarding 2nd Amendment issues and if you will support Delegate Smigiel’s effort to bring HB-52 to the floor for a vote.

I thank you in advance,

Mark C

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    And this just in from District 32 (not mine):

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me regarding HB 52, Regulated Firearms - License Issued by Delaware, Pennsylvania, or Virginia - Reciprocity. The Maryland General Assembly works under the Committee System and I am a member of the Environmental Matters Committee. HB 52 was heard by the Judiciary Committee on January 26th and no further action has been taken by the Committee. Since the crossover date for a bill to be sent to the other chamber was March 29th, no action is expected during this session.

While I do not always agree with the committee's decisions or reports, it would be chaos here without the committee system. If the bill comes to the House floor, I will vote in favor or it, as I am a strong supporter of bills that involve supporting the Second amendment.

As the General Assembly progresses you can follow the progress of the bills at the General Assembly Website: www.mlis.state.md.us. The site contains the most up to date information for each bill. You can check by sponsor, subject or bill number.

As your representative to the Maryland House of Delegates, I will always base my decisions on what is right for our entire community. Please feel free to continue to share your thoughts with my office.

Best regards,

Pamela G. Beidle
    Delegate, District 32
    (410)841-3370
    Environmental Matters Committee
    Subcommittees:
    Environment
    Housing and Real Property
    Local Government and Bi-County

I just responded asking if she signed the petition.

terppilot

Mar 19, 2010
    Anyone have an update?

It is my understanding that even though the crossover date has passed...if the bill has enough support, it can still (at the descretion of the rules committee) be presented to the Senate. If I am wrong in this assumption, please let me know.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Rules Committee (SRU)

Senate Meeting Room H-124, State House, Annapolis, MD 21401

(410-841-3700 Annapolis/Baltimore or 301-858-3700 Washington, D.C.)

Chair: Katherine Klausmeier

Vice Chair: Brian E. Frosh

David R. Brinkley
    Nathaniel J. McFadden
    Ulysses Currie
    Thomas M. Middleton
    Roy P. Dyson
    Thomas V. Mike Miller, Jr.
    Larry E. Haines
    Donald F. Munson
    Edward J. Kasemeyer

Committee Staff: Victoria L. Gruber, Office of the President Senate of Maryland

Telephone: 410-841-3700 or 301-858-3700

FROM

janoss

Oct 1, 2009
    Here is the response I received.

Who are the 5 that voted Nay?

March 31, 2010

H.B. 820 – Firearm Safety Act of 2010 Update

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am contacting you today to update you on H.B. 820 – The Firearm Safety Act of 2010.

After some debate this bill was put up for a final vote in Committee. A motion was made to vote on this bill for an Unfavorable Report. At that time it was voted YEA for an Unfavorable Report with a 16-5 voting total. Furthermore, this bill is dead and will no longer be voted on during this General Session.

Again, I would like to thank you for your letters which I believe contributed to preventing this bill from receiving a Favorable report in the Judiciary Committee. I will continue to defend the rights of gun owners and thereby the Second Amendment of the Constitution. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions or concerns at JB.Jennings@house.state.md.us or my office at 410-841-3698.

Sincerely,

J.B. Jennings

Member, House of Delegates

janoss

Oct 1, 2009
    HB820 was one of the BAD bills....

right, the email said that 5 voted saying they thought it was a favorable report. But the majority (16) voted YEA for an Unfavorable Report thus killing the bill. This is good it was killed. I just want to know the ones who were in favor of HB820.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but to answer the question about HB820 and who voted AGAINST making an unfavorable report (meaning that they wanted to see this bad bill go forward):

http://www.mlis.state.md.us/2010rs/votes_comm/hb0820_jud.pdf

Rosenberg, Ramirez, Barnes, Conaway and Anderson.

The other 16 votes are considered pro-gun/pro-liberty.

It was a very surprising vote. I can't believe it went down with a majority of the Montgomery county crowd.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    It was a very surprising vote. I can't believe it went down with a majority of the Montgomery county crowd.

Thinking seriously, if they get robbed and their dog bites the bad guy they are likely to get sued for a lot of money.

The only thing liberals like more than your money, is theirs. I'm sure if they heard about this on the news, chances are they made it clear they do not want to be sued for any reason, any time, anywhere.

I don't think it's about guns, even though it was for Frosh and company. It was about protecting their money.

I'm OK with that.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Thinking seriously, if they get robbed and their dog bites the bad guy they are likely to get sued for a lot of money.

The only thing liberals like more than your money, is theirs. I'm sure if they heard about this on the news, chances are they made it clear they do not want to be sued for any reason, any time, anywhere.

I don't think it's about guns, even though it was for Frosh and company. It was about protecting their money.

I'm OK with that.

I understand what you were saying but I think you missed the part that even though the thread was about HB 52, the mentioned bill here was HB 820, the FOID bill.

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    I understand what you were saying but I think you missed the part that even though the thread was about HB 52, the mentioned bill here was HB 820, the FOID bill.

Agree 100%. Lets remember that this thread is about HB52 which would force MD to honor some neighboring state CCW permits.

I was coming by earlier, hoping to see we had the magic 47 signatures to get to the floor. I know its a pipe dream with O'Mouthy in Annapolis, but maybe if we get Bob and a more conservative backlash that this might get some more visibility in the next few years. I am just afraid that time is running out on the petition idea... Sine Die (end of session) is coming up very soon ... less than two weeks on Monday, April 12th.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You guys are conflating a lot of bills into your discussion. In the last 3-5 posts above, I've seen SB411, HB820 and HB52 lumped in here.

I'm just sayin'......:D

HB52, the topic of this thread, was the recognition of permits from contiguous states. ;)

terppilot

Mar 19, 2010
    I would like to know myself.....can only suspect that this is the case, since the sudden lack of comments and or updates on the topic. If needed, I will certainly call and email whomever needs to be targeted, however, without insight as to where we stand, I have no direction. My fingers are permanently crossed.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I would like to know myself.....can only suspect that this is the case, since the sudden lack of comments and or updates on the topic. If needed, I will certainly call and email whomever needs to be targeted, however, without insight as to where we stand, I have no direction. My fingers are permanently crossed.
    Andi Morony (link to her post below) is Delegate Smigiel's Chief of Staff. She could probably give an update.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=487935&postcount=11

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

Herein lies the danger of thread-jacking. :)

The thread got all over the place for a while.

Everything I've seen in the way of emails from reps says they assume HB52 is dead. But this was from earlier in the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom