Has The "Spent Shell Casing" Procedure Ever Actually Aided An Investigation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Not that I'm aware of.

Hell, I don't think the machine they use to input data from the casings has even been operational for the past few years..., gotta love MD.

CZ75

Apr 15, 2013
    Pasadena
    For that matter has maintaining a list of legal owners helped lower crime? Its all a waste of taxpayer dollars and our time waiting for nothing.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Can't remember a case where it was ever used to connect someone to an unsolved crime. Lots of reasons for that, among others that it's easy to modify the ballistic fingerprint of a firearm; and the "fingerprint" changes over time even if you aren't trying to cheat the system.

The real reason is that the MSP rapidly ran out of funding to scan all of those casings into a database. With no clear benefit to continue with the overhead, since it proved useless to put criminals away, the law remains but serves no purpose.

Forthefunofit

Mar 25, 2013
    Ridgely, MD
    When are they required?

If i were to build a "ar pistol" pending approval of my form 1 would I be required to have a casing procurred by an authorized FFL?

Bublar

Mar 6, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Can't remember a case where it was ever used to connect someone to an unsolved crime. Lots of reasons for that, among others that it's easy to modify the ballistic fingerprint of a firearm; and the "fingerprint" changes over time even if you aren't trying to cheat the system.

The real reason is that the MSP rapidly ran out of funding to scan all of those casings into a database. With no clear benefit to continue with the overhead, the law remains but is completely ignored.

So are all the casings that get sent to the MSP just sitting in some evidence room (not scanned) collecting dust...?

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    Either MD wanted brass to reload knowing one day the price would sky rocket, or in hope the price of brass would be worth as much as gold one day...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    If i were to build a "ar pistol" pending approval of my form 1 would I be required to have a casing procurred by an authorized FFL?

No shell casing required, that's only a requirement for NIB pistols transferred to you.

You can own an AR pistol here as long as it meets FED requirements. MD law is (currently) concerned with transfers, not builds or prior ownership.

Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    I have a friend who is a retired police officer, and he has it on good authority that the spent shell casing fililng is woefully behind. As such even if the police had a spent shell casing from a crime scene the don't have the ones they've collected even cataloged to do the referencing.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Another hair brained idea by some idiot in Annapolis.

If they would simply enforce what's on the books instead of pissing away good money tying our hands and those of law enforcement we would be so much better off.

We need more laws as much as we need more lawmakers......

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    Last I had heard the MSP was throwing the shell casings in a 55 gallon drum. Supposedly the ballistic fingerprint machine has been broken for some time and deemed too expensive to fix.... go figure

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    Does anyone know of any case in MD where this ever even solved a crime?

Search the board. There was a thread were someone reported 1 case that was solved but if I a remembering the details it was a case were they had a suspect they knew he owned a certain gun but couldn't find the gun so they looked up the casing from that gun and they matched but are those millions well spent? I don't think so.

Thanks
    Robert

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    For that matter has maintaining a list of legal owners helped lower crime? Its all a waste of taxpayer dollars and our time waiting for nothing.

Big waste of money. The libs don't care as long as you pay for it.

Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    Search the board. There was a thread were someone reported 1 case that was solved but if I a remembering the details it was a case were they had a suspect they knew he owned a certain gun but couldn't find the gun so they looked up the casing from that gun and they matched but are those millions well spent? I don't think so.

Thanks
    Robert

Yeah I had searched a bit through the forum but the only one I think I found someone said that the suspect was already arrested with enough evidence before they even matched the casing?

I think the real point is that considering how hard we all have to look for evidence of even 1 case being solved using it really says it all lol. Like you said, not a very good use of our tax dollars...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom