• ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

1713218303902.jpeg

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Not being said is H-D is pressuring ALL dealers to meet sales quotas, forcing upgrades to make buildings and showrooms conform to their master plan, etc. all at the Dealer's expense.....this is why there has been a rash of closings across the US in the past few years

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Making the dealers go to those HUGE t-shirt selling super stores has to be hard on the dealers.

I had a Harley, like them well enough, but am not likely to buy one again. I get tired of all their flag waving when little in those stores is actually made in America.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    It truly is sad the dealers are closing as in Annapolis and now Frederick , lots of folks travel with their bikes and need dealers to keep them running and moving.
    I have relied on dealers across the US when my family was traveling more on the 07 when it was newer. Not sure i would do the same travels and not to have a support structure in place is bad for everyone.

As far as the USA component basically all brands rely too much on China for things, every thing should be US made but that is another story.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****At current labor rates and production costs I would think if everything was made in the USA on these bikes, the cost of one would be prohibitive to all but the wealthiest of people. Replacement parts would be also cost prohibitive.

China is being de-coupled by many many companies, to the extent possible, with production moved to other countries including Vietnam, India, Phillipines, South Korea, Taiwan, etc...

Many tech companies and others are moving production out of China, and have been since Covid. Cost of production is largely influenced by labor rates for many products and services - but China is not good about cracking down on trademark and patent violations, and they steal proprietary business tech and flat out steal it and try and make their own versions of things.

Clothes and other trinkets will probably continue to come from China for some time. Higher tech and tech based products not as much especially once Apple and other tech companies divest more.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    lots of folks travel with their bikes and need dealers to keep them running and moving.

I've owned 2 Hondas and a Kawasaki. All I needed was a gas station to keep them moving...

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I've owned 2 Hondas and a Kawasaki. All I needed was a gas station to keep them moving...

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, i get it not many people travel cross county on Kawasaki's and i would not be able to find a dealer. :P ;) Honda makes a good bike but i would never buy one.
    My 07 ultra with sidecar gets a lot of thumbs up and looks for the paint/art work

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Yeah, i get it not many people travel cross county on Kawasaki's and i would not be able to find a dealer. :P ;) Honda makes a good bike but i would never buy one.
    My 07 ultra with sidecar gets a lot of thumbs up and looks for the paint/art work
    Why not?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I agree. Why not? Honda and most of the Japanese bike manufacturers make amazing bikes. I was a huge Yamaha guy before discovering Triumphs. Triumph is definitely not as reliable as most Japanese motorcycle manufacturers, but I have learned to work on them and have found them to be easy to work on.
    If I were a new buyer today, I would 100% go Honda or Yamaha……or Suzuki…or Kawasaki…..you get my point.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The way I find HD dealers approach new sales, I'm not surprised. Not sure if Frederick was as bad as Laurel
    Starting negotiations well above MSRP makes people want to walk.
    People in Frederick will move to Battlefield Harley in Gettysburg I guess.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I get what you were saying about the network of dealers across the US for those who take trips to parts unknown on our bikes. I can remember a trip we took to NC, TN, GA once. As we got almost to our lodging destination in VA on our way home, my buddy, Steve's rear tire was showing through to the cords. We found a dealer and left the bike with them to put a new tire on. HAHA, I almost forgot, he rides a Yamaha V Star, and I can't recall if we had to go to a Yamaha dealer, or if a Harley dealer put a tire on for him. But, I guess my point is, had a dealer not been nearby, we might have been hard pressed to find a bike tire and place to install it while in a town/state that is not our normal stomping grounds.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Maryland 's only H-D dealer ? That would be news to All American H-D in Hughesville.

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Not being said is H-D is pressuring ALL dealers to meet sales quotas, forcing upgrades to make buildings and showrooms conform to their master plan, etc. all at the Dealer's expense.....this is why there has been a rash of closings across the US in the past few years
    HOG: Hunan Owners Group

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom