• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Thanks for the heads-up on the holsters. I've lived in Carroll County for several years, but have never been to Hap. I'm planning on going there this week to check it out and likely purchase a year pass. The price sure beats what I spend a year at other ranges. It is nice to live someplace where there is still open space to have an outdoor range.

As a note, I saw some postings regarding the wind issues on the pistol range. One idea would be to use a piece of cardboard behind your target. Then attach a piece of mason line to the bottom edge of the cardboard that would extend downward to ground with a medium fishing weight (NOT a small anchor) attached. The cardboard and the line system should be able to support the slight drag of the fishing weight. This would likely settle down the wind effects on the target. (The mason line, being thicker than fishing line, would be visible, for easy finding of weight, should the line become detached from the target.) Since the weight would always be at ground level, it would not create a ricochet hazard. Will have to ask the RO's if this would be allowable.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I'll be there Saturday for my first time! Hopefully it'll be a good time.

Can I bring my own targets? I have a buttload of them.

Yes you can bring your own targets.

They have staple guns, which is good, since I can't find mine.

BTW, Hap can get busy. Yesterday, Wednesday, we had to wait to get a lane. We got there at 10:30. Some folks were just having fun with a gun, others were getting ready for hunting.

It did seem that the pistol range only had at most two people on it at any time.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Yeah I'll be mostly at the pistol range. I have 5 and a half boxes of 7.62x25 for my Tokarev, and like 75 rounds for my rifle. I guess if I get there at like 9:45 and be in when they open, I'll get a rifle lane for a while, and then move to the handgun range.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Yeah I'll be mostly at the pistol range. I have 5 and a half boxes of 7.62x25 for my Tokarev, and like 75 rounds for my rifle. I guess if I get there at like 9:45 and be in when they open, I'll get a rifle lane for a while, and then move to the handgun range.

If you're going on Saturday, I'd suggest getting there at 9:30 if you don't want to wait for a lane. With the hunters sighting in for deer season, weekends can be crazy. Most folks always bring a pistol so they can "kill time" blasting over in the pistol house while waiting for their rifle lane.

rvanrens

Jun 27, 2010
    Adamstown, MD
    And let the ROs know you're waiting for a lane - they've always been good about coming over and givng me a heads-up a few minutes before the cease-fire.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Will do.

I know all about the "no rapid fire" rule, and I've seen signs while watching YouTube videos of HB, but how strict are they really? I'm a pretty good shot (I can hit 2L bottles from 25yds with a .45) so I'm not going to be spamming rounds all over the place. I just like to practice home defensive shooting, i.e. shoot a whole clip and measure the grouping.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Will do.

I know all about the "no rapid fire" rule, and I've seen signs while watching YouTube videos of HB, but how strict are they really? I'm a pretty good shot (I can hit 2L bottles from 25yds with a .45) so I'm not going to be spamming rounds all over the place. I just like to practice home defensive shooting, i.e. shoot a whole clip and measure the grouping.

The rule says one shot every two seconds. The ROs will gently remind you if you're exceeding that rate of fire, and less gently so if you continue to break the rules.

BTW, what's a clip? :D

Last edited:

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    A clip is what holds your neck tie in place. A magazine is what you read when you are waiting for a lane at Hap Backer.

Hope that helps
    Damifinow Fish

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    My neck ties go around my neck, not sure what you're talking about.

big-tie-clip.jpg

1874sharpsshooter

Feb 1, 2009
    cape coral, florida
    Will do.

2 seconds between rounds minimum, 1 warning

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom