• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MudPuppy

Jul 20, 2012
    Think I've seen one post alluding to this not being allowed, I couldn't determine if it was an authoritative answer or just something overheard in a bar once.

I'm not asking to shoot on the pistol line, I'd like to zero my lovely little Frankenpistol and try my hand at 100M targets.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    No go on pistol AR SBR'S are OK But if the weapon doesn't have a stock No. Others can chime in but even the pistol side I would say No unless it's pistol cal

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I was told no as I could not shoulder it and get the muzzle into the box. The Fudds then told me it probably wasn't even legal. YMMV

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I was told no as I could not shoulder it and get the muzzle into the box. The Fudds then told me it probably wasn't even legal. YMMV

It seems like every time I go to the AGC range I run into a fudd with ridiculous information he wants to pass along to me.

I've been told that AKs have been illegal in MD since the 90s, I've been told muzzle brakes are illegal, I've been told vertical foregrips on rifles are illegal, I've been told that mild steel 7.62x54R light ball ammo is armor piercing and you can get five years per bullet you're in possession of, I've been told if I have any handgun that the MD govt does not have specifically registered to me that it is a federal offense, etc, etc

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    It seems like every time I go to the AGC range I run into a fudd with ridiculous information he wants to pass along to me.

I've been told that AKs have been illegal in MD since the 90s, I've been told muzzle brakes are illegal, I've been told vertical foregrips on rifles are illegal, I've been told that mild steel 7.62x54R light ball ammo is armor piercing and you can get five years per bullet you're in possession of, I've been told if I have any handgun that the MD govt does not have specifically registered to me that it is a federal offense, etc, etc

Oh man, I'm violating every one of those "laws"...

:party29:

MudPuppy

Jul 20, 2012
    No go on pistol AR SBR'S are OK But if the weapon doesn't have a stock No. Others can chime in but even the pistol side I would say No unless it's pistol cal

Yeah I was pretty sure the pistol range would be a no go and I fully understand that the backstop may not have been constructed with rifle cartridges in mind not to mention rounds that inadvertently go over the backstop...

Bummed... :sad20:

Any other ranges friendly to these beasties within sane driving distance of MoCo?

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter

This sounds like the agenda for the next legislative session.... I know, I shouldn't even joke about things like that. :sad20:

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah I was pretty sure the pistol range would be a no go and I fully understand that the backstop may not have been constructed with rifle cartridges in mind not to mention rounds that inadvertently go over the backstop...

Bummed... :sad20:

Any other ranges friendly to these beasties within sane driving distance of MoCo?

Backstop? It's a pile of dirt just like the rifle range.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I believe at Hap no pistols on the rifle range and no rifles and no rifle cartridges on the pistol range with the exception of .22 LR in a pistol.

This begs the question if the Five-seven is ok to shoot at the pistol range.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    try this and see what they say:

Attachments

• SB15-Detail.jpg
      SB15-Detail.jpg
      34.1 KB · Views: 234

jcarpenter

Apr 29, 2012
    Westminster
    Fudds?

So what does "shoot traditionally for sport only" mean exactly? If you shoot at something it is sport......unless less it is self defense. But very few shoot a lot in actual self defense. And self defense practice is sport. So I am confused at the definition. Anyone help clear this up for this poor befuddled fudd?

John C

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Think hunting and trap shooters.
    "I only need the one" types. Maybe has an old riot gun or a revolver but that's it. Doesn't understand technology improves.
    Think Amish gun owner.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    What if they have scope? I see in another thread you can shoot a regular pistol with a scope, so why not an AR pistol with a scope?

xref

May 9, 2013
    Think I've seen one post alluding to this not being allowed, I couldn't determine if it was an authoritative answer or just something overheard in a bar once.

I'm not asking to shoot on the pistol line, I'd like to zero my lovely little Frankenpistol and try my hand at 100M targets.

This isn't surprising as they won't let you shoot a shotgun there without a site of some sort aka ghost ring. In the case of the shotgun it is highly ridiculous as the weapon shoots where you point it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    This isn't surprising as they won't let you shoot a shotgun there without a site of some sort aka ghost ring. In the case of the shotgun it is highly ridiculous as the weapon shoots where you point it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

In Hap's defense I have seen those with bad sights damage the target frames.
    I'm terrible with a bead and I know I will damage something unless I have a rear sight.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    What if they have scope? I see in another thread you can shoot a regular pistol with a scope, so why not an AR pistol with a scope?

That thread surprised me especially the post coming from the RO.
    Does this mean if I strap on a red dot to one of my pistols I'm I good to go.
    I have no interest to do so but it's quiet interesting none the less.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    I believe at Hap no pistols on the rifle range and no rifles and no rifle cartridges on the pistol range with the exception of .22 LR in a pistol.

This begs the question if the Five-seven is ok to shoot at the pistol range.
    I shot my G21 on the rifle range and I've seen several guys shoot handguns on the rifle range. Granted this was several years ago; maybe there was a policy change and/or this was not in line with existing policy at the time. Semi-related, those things are crazy fun!!! I ran one through a couple IPSC type pistol stages during a practice; now I want one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom