Handguns no longer allowed to have threaded barrels?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twenty5mafia

MDS Supporter
    May 27, 2023
    Baltimore
    So I was asking staccato about their custom services and they told me their compliance team says it is illegal to have the threaded barrel on your handgun in Maryland. I told them that is straight up BS, and says that no where in the laws. They replied with it is only legal for LEOs, at least according to their compliance team... so before I go find a work around, has anyone seen a new law that says that handguns cannot have threaded barrels? Or is this simply the case of a company, like staccato, just cherry picking what they want to do and not do?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    So I was asking staccato about their custom services and they told me their compliance team says it is illegal to have the threaded barrel on your handgun in Maryland. I told them that is straight up BS, and says that no where in the laws. They replied with it is only legal for LEOs, at least according to their compliance team... so before I go find a work around, has anyone seen a new law that says that handguns cannot have threaded barrels? Or is this simply the case of a company, like staccato, just cherry picking what they want to do and not do?
    Since it became staccato and not sti they are going downhill fast. This is just another notch they have slipped.

The information you were given is incorrect. Do business with someone who wants your business. If you just HAFTA have whatever the item is, hit me up. It would be a but of a drive for you but a friend of mine is a dealer for them.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Their compliance team is apparently staffed by idiots (or they just gave up on figuring MD laws out and just said no for the sake of it). There is no such law.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Since it became staccato and not sti they are going downhill fast. This is just another notch they have slipped.

The information you were given is incorrect. Do business with someone who wants your business. If you just HAFTA have whatever the item is, hit me up. It would be a but of a drive for you but a friend of mine is a dealer for them.
    Shot my first one two weeks ago. Damn fine gun.

Why are they sliding? Quality? Customer service?

Who is a close comparison in terms of quality and price?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Any minute now we’ll hear from the poors..... “Good! Staccatos are pieces of crap”, or “they suck and I’ll never spend that much on a pistol”.

It is weird that their compliance team can’t seem to be able to read English.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    They are working to go downhill fast it seems. Sad
    When it was STI, different ballgame.

Quality to price relationship. When it was STI, they were mostly hand built stuff. Mostly custom order. Then the "part number" guns came out. Then the change to staccato from STI. The guns do not have nearly the fit and finish that was their benchmark previously. One of my friends is a staccato dealer and he loves em. I've shot more.than a couple. They are nice guns but if you shoot a new one and compare the parts fit to an STI DVC or steel master, you will be disappointed.

If you want an "infinity" gun (2011) and you are sure, SVI still builds to order (strayer Voight infinity). I've only fired a couple of them but the workmanship was immaculate. One, we tested in a ransom rest shot 2in groups at 50yd with the loads specified by SVI.

I typically carry a glock 19 and am not a piatolero. That said, I have spent more on individual optics than what some stccatos cost. Dunno what that says about me other than that I like rifles more. If I were to spend 3k or more on a pistol, I'd probably be buying a top end CZ and sending it to CGW or Angus hobdell. I've never needed to tune a cz mag. I've had to help two friends tune 2011 mags.
    Not weird. This smells like they have adopted the practice that many others in industry have. They are hiring out their compliance crap. The name of the company escapes me but they are doing this type of stuff for multiple industry outfits. Ironically, this sounds EXACTLY like the sort of wrong info I'm hearing being spouted by their clients.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air

Assuming all things equal, they are eliminating 2% of their customer base to avoid the risk of falling afoul of some terrible laws. Really don't blame them. Juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater

I have (and love) several Staccatos. In the same sphere of fit and finish (maybe even a bit better) is Masterpiece Arms https://masterpiecearms.com/cat/ds9-accessories/ds9-pistols/
    I have the DS9 hybrid and it's my favorite pistol right now. I got mine from Cindy's Hot shots in Glen Burnie.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    When it was STI, different ballgame.

Not weird. This smells like they have adopted the practice that many others in industry have. They are hiring out their compliance crap. The name of the company escapes me but they are doing this type of stuff for multiple industry outfits. Ironically, this sounds EXACTLY like the sort of wrong info I'm hearing being spouted by their clients.
    One word: Lawyers

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    They are still nice guns. I shot a couple with bertfish. They are pretty much priced out of my league, so I don't have a dog in this fight. It isn't as though they quit selling to Md, just no threaded barrels. Maybe that will change. Maybe not.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    When I first got one several years ago, I called asking about a threaded barrel for the P. I was told that they didn't make one yet.
    I will have to call again.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    maryland is achieving what they want to achieve. their laws ain't vague, convoluted and overreaching by accident. that's all part of their plan. rather than spend thousands researching and constantly updating their records, companies like sti/staccato are simply saying No to maryland customers, whether for guns or gun parts.

take 4g up on his generous offer or find a maryland dealer that will order the gun/barrel for you. i don't think staccato minds selling 'risky' parts to ffl's as for all they know the ffl will sell it out of state, eg, gunbroker etc.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    maryland is achieving what they want to achieve. their laws ain't vague, convoluted and overreaching by accident. that's all part of their plan. rather than spend thousands researching and constantly updating their records, companies like sti/staccato are simply saying No to maryland customers, whether for guns or gun parts.

take 4g up on his generous offer or find a maryland dealer that will order the gun/barrel for you. i don't think staccato minds selling 'risky' parts to ffl's as for all they know the ffl will sell it out of state, eg, gunbroker etc.
    It's some secret thing......it's just that the place isn't an IP and I don't like to post non IPs out of respect for those shops who have gone through the process.

As someone who owns a "few" sweet rigs, you of all people know the difference between some of thr top shelf makers.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Assuming all things equal, they are eliminating 2% of their customer base to avoid the risk of falling afoul of some terrible laws. Really don't blame them. Juice isn't worth the squeeze.
    That’s a mealy mouthed cop-out (not directed at you)! They allegedly have a “compliance team”, as dumb and confusing as MD gun laws are, there is no such law anywhere whatsoever that restricts or prohibits threaded barrels in Maryland. That’s not any deep reading into laws and bills, it simply just doesn’t exist. If there was any mention of it at all, and was confusing or contradictory, then I can understand someone not being aware of the nuances and erring on the side of caution. They’re just making shit up, and that should be remembered by MD gun owners. I love Staccatos, have owned two (still own one), but I may now think twice about ever getting another one. Lazy fvcks can’t spend an hour on the internet?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom