Handgun Transfer, MSP barracks still a thing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I am aware that long arms now have to go through an FFL for private party intrastate transfer. What about handguns that previously you would use an MSP barracks to do the transfer? Can you still use the MSP barracks or are you required to use an FFL? Specifically a stripped lower in this case.

Googling this has been rather inconclusive.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Yes you can still use MSP barracks for handgun transfers, at least I did just a short while ago. Don't know about stripped lowers, however. Give them a call.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    MSP transfers $10 fee for a pistol-credit card only-it is easy peasy--why go anywhere else. Call them first--take a look at their website for details

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I am aware that long arms now have to go through an FFL for private party intrastate transfer. What about handguns that previously you would use an MSP barracks to do the transfer? Can you still use the MSP barracks or are you required to use an FFL? Specifically a stripped lower in this case.

Secondary Sales conducted at a Maryland State Police Barrack require a $10 processing fee.

When Should I Apply?​

Whenever you wish to purchase, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm you must complete a Maryland State Police Application and Affidavit to Purchase a Regulated Firearm (MSP 77R) via the Licensing Portal. This includes anytime an individual acquiring a regulated firearm through a firearm dealer, secondary sale/private sale, gift, or a person who wishes to voluntarily register a regulated firearm.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Still a thing, but give a thought as to location. Just went thru a transfer at the Rockville (Montrose Rd) Barracks; took exactly an hour. I don't think they get very many there, and the Trooper seemed to have trouble negotiating the computer system, took the time to verify every item on the e-form verbally, and couldn't find the manufacturer for a Ruger pistol! (Sturm, Ruger).

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    The one time I used the MSP barracks (college park) it was also for a stripped lower. The officer had no clue about the process at all. He didn't even know what a stripped lower was. The entire time I was treated like I was wasting his time.

When I first went in, I left it in my car on the seat and he said he needed to see it so he came out with me to look at it. He verified the S/N and said I really needed to lock it up in the trunk.

I did wait for the "not disapproved" letter to release to the buyer (a friend).

vanquish1

MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2022
    Howard County
    Have done a handful at Jessup. There always seems to be a problem with an expired password to their system and nobody has the password to the barracks email so always takes quite a bit longer than it should. The lady in charge of transfes at licensing division in Pikesville runs it like a total clown show.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I’ve used the Jessup barracks several times and never had an issue, never been there more than 15 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRSMD

Sep 4, 2013
    Derwood
    The Jessup MSP barracks has always been very professional and has been easy to deal with same with the MSP barracks outside Annapolis.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I've done them at Centreville, Belair, Glen Bernie and Upper Marlboro. Sometimes they do have to get out the manual.

Last edited:

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I have used the Glen Burnie Barracks and have always been treated very professionally. The Westminster Barracks has also been quite smooth in the past as has the Golden Ring Barracks. The last time at the Golden Ring Barracks the seller and I had to help the trooper with the Ruger Wrangler as he had never transferred a single action revolver. He was very grateful for our explanation of how it worked.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I always have preferred Blue Fins, as a seller, because you simply get paid, drop it off, and leave since at that point, you're done....

But doing my 1st transaction (since the E77R started) at Golden Ring a few weeks ago, was painless, closer for me, and obviously, cheaper for the buyer...

Only downside is/was having to do a 2nd meet up with buyer (or seller), for the actual transfer, which is something to consider.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD

Googling this has been rather inconclusive.

The instructions regarding transfers at barracks are on MSP’s website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom