• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WMDShooter

Aug 14, 2011
    Allegany County
    Just purchased a gun safe for my fairly new collection of handguns, shotgun, and .22 pump action rifle. When not using, is it best to keep my handguns in the cases I use for transporting (Gunvault Nano 200), or take them out of the cases and cover with a silicon sock? I am new this year to shooting and welcome your advice.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Zombot

Sep 19, 2011
    Brooklyn, MD
    I'm glad someone asked the question. I hadn't even thought of a dehumidifier. *sigh* Yet another unexpected cost to properly own, store and maintain my new shinies.

Thanks a ton for the info, Boom Boom.

olebess

Jan 11, 2011
    MontCo
    Where would I find a silicon gun sock? Is this something Midway or CDNN would carry? I have seen them on these sites but I haven't really been looking.

BOOM BOOM, I checked out that Bore Store link. Good stuff, thanks.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's a silicone-treated gun sock. Midway and Cheaper Than Dirt sell them. Search there on "gun sock silicone".

punchBIGholes

Nov 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    I'm a little on the crazy side and i have a little too much free time. i buy an aftermarket hard plastic case, remove the foam, wrap foam in a silicone gun rag, and run a thin bead of silicone sealant around the lip of the case. it does a pretty good job of keeping the silicone in. Its a poor man's Pelican case.

usmcdad

May 15, 2010
    Have an inexperienced question. The dehumidifier is not bad for the wood - won't some how dry it out to much? I'm new also and just bought a cabinet not a safe.

Is the silicone-treated gun sock to keep moisture away, or is it to keep silicone on the gun itself. There is so much info on cleaning, storage, to oil or not oil, its a tad overwhelming.

I need to do some searching of other threads for more discussion. There is a good thread from a gunsmith on what products and some techniques he uses. Need to revisit.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    My handgun storage in the safe.
    I started with one and filled it...

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I have since added another rack. One holds 7, the other 5.
    Here is the link to the supplier:
    http://manaboutracks.com/greystonehandgunracks.aspx

I use pistol cases from Midway (lower left) to transport them to the range.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Boom Boom +2 on the Ballistol and is that a Mustang headlight as your avatar?
    Yes, from my '65.
    http://images44.fotki.com/v301/fileNa3j/c95e5/4/43654/1021539/126_0040_crop2.jpg
    http://images36.fotki.com/v1295/filecBEL/c95e5/4/43654/1021539/126_0041.jpg
    http://images57.fotki.com/v221/fileQb1n/c95e5/4/43654/1021539/IMG_3171.jpg

I have since added another rack. One holds 7, the other 5.
    Here is the link to the supplier:
    http://manaboutracks.com/greystonehandgunracks.aspx
    Thanks for the link. Very nice. Think I might order one of those racks.

cyrano_oneone

Dec 15, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Have an inexperienced question. The dehumidifier is not bad for the wood - won't some how dry it out to much? I'm new also and just bought a cabinet not a safe.

Is the silicone-treated gun sock to keep moisture away, or is it to keep silicone on the gun itself. There is so much info on cleaning, storage, to oil or not oil, its a tad overwhelming.

I need to do some searching of other threads for more discussion. There is a good thread from a gunsmith on what products and some techniques he uses. Need to revisit.
    The wood drying out depends on how dry you set the humidifier. If you keep the relative humidity between 40% and 60% you should be fine.

However with any and wood it needs to be oiled occasionally...I do mine once every couple of years

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore

Beautiful car BoomBoom! :thumbsup:

Apologies to the OP for my distraction to the handgun storage - a nice 'stang is as fulfilling as a great gun. Looks like I'll be in the woodshop after Christmas making some handgun racks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom