• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dst

Jan 29, 2008
    Cary, NC
    I would recommend you periodically clean the finger senors. At my last job we installed a biometric reader for clocking in and out of work. That thing could be defeated with a latex glove and light pressure and it was WAY more expensive then this.

Just my experience.

I've seen this as well, but under less heavy use it should be much less of an issue. Also be sure to clean your fingers, since a shweaty fingertip can also make the sensor fail to read. It's just another thing to practice and get 100% reliable before you bet your life on it.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    I have had a gun vault since november and i like it. hid the key. it gets the job done. you can program the finger keys any way you like/ i have 4 handguns it, with mags and speedloaders.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    wow not even an hour of talking about my gunvault, needless to say i got to use it for an emergency. didnt think id get woken up to an alarm going off in my barn. but by the time i got outside i saw 3 flashlights going threw the woods. didnt catch them though. now im sleeping with my 30.06 tonight

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Excuse me if this has been already answered, but can you set up the Biometric safes for more than one "user"?

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    No, you can't. At least not with my multi deluxe model. I'm assuming the smaller models operate the same way.

oops- sorry, was thinking standard not biometric

Last edited:

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    Excuse me if this has been already answered, but can you set up the Biometric safes for more than one "user"?

You can have multiple people's fingerprints in the safe, but there is no distinction between person. Since the safe is the only secure area, having multiple "users" as opposed to just multiple prints from whoever you want, isn't really necessary, anyone whose print matches opens the safe.

From GunVault:

The GunVault GVB1000 Bio uses biometrics, specifically fingerprint recognition, to access the safe contents. A high-performance algorithm is used to acheive speedy identification of enrolled fingerprints; and at the same time has a very low False Reject Rate (FRR) for a given False Accept Rate (FAR). This self-learning algorithm of the GunVault Bio adds new minutiae to the fingerprint sensor, which decreases the likelihood of FRR, updates slight changes that might occur over time to an enrolled fingerprint, as well as to help distinguish variations between the enrolled fingerprints. System can handle a maximum of thirty fingerprint templates.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was also looking for a small pistol safe recently and thought I would give this a try for $35 and have been happy with it:

http://www.amazon.com/HS10036684-El...f=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1248697153&sr=1-14
    I'm interested in knowing more about what you think of this safe - I've also been looking for a good gun safe that will hold a P226 and an extra magazine. The lack of an AC adapter or mechanical access option puts me off, though - if someone breaks into your house and you don't notice the batteries are dead, that could be a real issue.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Erwos, if you spend a bit more and get the gun vault you can get an ac adapter. plus, there is a key override and the batteries supposedly last 2 years and there is a low battery light/alarm. I open mine at least once a day and the batteries are still good after 5 months.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Erwos, if you spend a bit more and get the gun vault you can get an ac adapter. plus, there is a key override and the batteries supposedly last 2 years and there is a low battery light/alarm. I open mine at least once a day and the batteries are still good after 5 months.
    I actually just ordered a DAC SportSafe, which got pretty good reviews from the "interesting people" at THR. Don't need a whole lot of safe to fit a 226 into, thankfully. The wife was kinda pushing me to get something now that I'm moving into larger calibers than .22LR.

Also picked up a locking cabinet the other day for ammo and chemical storage. Just got to get a full-sized safe for long arms and excess handguns, and I'll be all set. No kids yet, but better to deal with it now than later.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225