• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    Hello Shooters;

I had an old parkerized 1911 that was a cheap buy and one of my first guns. A lesson I leaned from it was dont just buy a gun because its what you can afford, get one you want. But it actually turned out to be a great shooter, so Ive kept it. It was very pitted and looked terrible, so I had it nickle plated. I just got it back and it looks awesome, however all the brand, caliber and other markings are gone. They were just stamped or printed on the slide and now are totally gone. The serial number is engraved and actually looks better than it did before. But now Im wondering if the gun is legal? Do I need to get it send out of engraving with brand caliber etc, or am I good just because it has a serial number. I looked on ATF website and most of the stuff I found was concering importing guns.

Thanks

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    The info on the slide is not required. I would only be concerned if the serial number on the frame was obliterated. Out of curiosity what type of 1911 is it?

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    The only markings that are required on firearms are serial numbers IF the firearm originally had a serial number. I think pre-1960's guns are serial number free, but I forget the exact date.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Before 1968 serial numbers were optional. Post 1968 they are mandatory unless manufactured for personal use.

What kind of 1911? Turnbull does some 1911 restoration as do most custom shops and should be able to get it close to the factory configuration.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    As long as you have a serial number you are good.Remember its the frame that is the registered part. The slide doesn't matter at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom