• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    Ok, so mom really wants something now and is starting to take action (finally after 10+yr talking about it)
    (Hint: Women's input here would be very handy)
    She plans on going (with me) to a place like continental to rent a few that feel good in her hand etc to see what she shoots best with. What I am wondering is any direction I should point her into, She is a med-build 5,7" woman and can handle a gun, but I think most things like a 2xstack 45 are a little big for her. (My sig p220 is just about as big as she feels comfortable with)
    I want to help her narrow down choices before she tries 5+ guns to rent.
    I was thinking something like a 9mm (semi-auto) or a 38spl (revolver) as these have enough punch without being too harsh on the shooter. and Yes... I will break her back in easy by starting out with a .22 for basics than moving up.
    Also I am looking into something for my GF to get too, Shes at the opp end being 4'11 and 100lb w/ lead and soaking wet, but with her something that we both can enjoy (It will prob be mine-hers for now)
    thanks

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I was thinking something like a 9mm (semi-auto) or a 38spl (revolver) as these have enough punch without being too harsh on the shooter.

My ex had very small hands and did well with an Sp-101 (.357) loaded with 158gr .38+p. My current GF hasn't fired my G19 yet (damn waiting period) but I expect that's where I'll start her.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Can't go wrong with a small framed S&W in .357. Something like a Model 60 with the 2 or 3 inch barrel.

I have relatively smallish hands, and the Ladysmith fits me like a glove. Has a nice finish, and a comfortable rosewood grip.

If you go semiauto, my 10 year old daughter likes the Glock 19. She shot zoostation's Glock 19 and fell in love with it. She's 5'1" and 110lbs.

Attachments

• tabancalar_162414_large.jpg
      tabancalar_162414_large.jpg
      10.7 KB · Views: 237

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    I drink the Glock kool-aid 24/7, but for some reason the FN Five-Seven and a Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum come to mind....

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    S&W .50 Mag =

'Cause moms with guns are just bad ass. It's not the bullet you should worry about, it's their aim when they throw the whole gun at you.

Seriously, anything 9MM If I had of known how hard it would be to my hands on .38 / .357 I would have got the revolver in 9mm

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    My ex had very small hands and did well with an Sp-101 (.357) loaded with 158gr .38+p. My current GF hasn't fired my G19 yet (damn waiting period) but I expect that's where I'll start her.

+1 on the sp101. perfect fit with the CTC lazer grips.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    My mom just put a S&W model 60 on order. 3" barrel. That or an SP101 would do very nicely. If she has bigger hands, have her try out a 686 or GP100. Have her stick to .38s if she goes with a smaller frame.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Can't go wrong with a small framed S&W in .357. Something like a Model 60 with the 2 or 3 inch barrel.

I have relatively smallish hands, and the Ladysmith fits me like a glove. Has a nice finish, and a comfortable rosewood grip.

If you go semiauto, my 10 year old daughter likes the Glock 19. She shot zoostation's Glock 19 and fell in love with it. She's 5'1" and 110lbs.

My Mother loves her Chief's Special. While my wife likes the smaller gripped 9mm's like the g19. She also likes my 12ga, not to go walking around with, but as a point-defense weapon.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Ok, so mom really wants something now and is starting to take action (finally after 10+yr talking about it)
    (Hint: Women's input here would be very handy)
    I was thinking something like a 9mm (semi-auto) or a 38spl (revolver) as these have enough punch without being too harsh on the shooter. and Yes... I will break her back in easy by starting out with a .22 for basics than moving up.
    Also I am looking into something for my GF to get too, Shes at the opp end being 4'11 and 100lb w/ lead and soaking wet, but with her something that we both can enjoy (It will prob be mine-hers for now)
    thanks

Suggestions:

1. SIG P6/225 - Single stack 9mm, a pleasure to shoot - doesn't like hollow points though.
    2. LCR - Very concealable, powerful enough in .38, but .357 available.
    3. P64 - Small, concealable, small grip. Sufficient take down power with multiple rounds, low mag capacity.
    4. CZ-82 - Snappy little gun but sufficient to take down an intruder with multiple rounds.
    5. LCP - .380 concealable and effective. I hate the sights though.

I picked these guns because they are all suitable for women with small hands yet adequate for self defense. I have other favorite concealed carry weapons, but they may be too large when you consider the grips.

Mark

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    S&W M&P is very good for someone with small hands.

+1...also the p99 with small backstrap can be one of the best guns...ever for someone with small hands. If you'd like i can meet up with you guys at a random range and you both can give my p99 a whirl to see if you like it. of course, that's assuming she'll further her training to be able to do a semi-auto failure drill without thinking about it...otherwise a s&w m60 or sp101 should be fine choices.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Suggestions:

1. SIG P6/225 - Single stack 9mm, a pleasure to shoot - doesn't like hollow points though.
    2. LCR - Very concealable, powerful enough in .38, but .357 available.
    3. P64 - Small, concealable, small grip. Sufficient take down power with multiple rounds, low mag capacity.
    4. CZ-82 - Snappy little gun but sufficient to take down an intruder with multiple rounds.
    5. LCP - .380 concealable and effective. I hate the sights though.

I picked these guns because they are all suitable for women with small hands yet adequate for self defense. I have other favorite concealed carry weapons, but they may be too large when you consider the grips.

Mark

especially if they are new shooters, a lot of those guns will be some of the most difficult to shoot well of any out there. people often give tiny guns to women and new shooters, but tiny guns have a short sight radius and are generally snappy and harder to control than a service-sized pistol like a g19, m&p-9, fnp-9 or p99. Often times when i let women that are new shooters compare the m60, sp101, and 686...they choose the 4"686 +. the bigger trigger makes it feel lighter because of mechanical advantage and the bigger frame makes shooting the .38's that much more gentle. the longer sight radius and orange front sight makes aligning them easier and they like the 7 rounds capacity over 5. Unless they're purpose is 100% concealability, small pistols and revolvers just give up too much for a lot of people to consider them for home defense or the target range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom