• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    I have a quick question. I did a search but came up fruitless. My father is retired military and will be getting a pistol soon. is it possible that that could be used in lieu of a safety course?
    thanks!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Seabee,

Your father doesn't need to do anything or prove anything other than check the box.

If the FFL demands documentation, go somewhere else. It's up to the MSP to investigate, not the FFL.

Same goes for the Designated collector.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    I've never shown military ID, let alone paperwork like a DD214, when buying guns and no one has ever questioned me. It's no one's business if you've been in the military or not in the first damn place. If he is really worried, he can just take that little bizarro test online and do whatever the civilians have to do with it. Tell him he doesn't have to let anyone copy his driver's license either.

ThumperIII

Jun 11, 2009
    Maryland
    Just do the online course. If he can read, he has passed. That also officially registers the successful course completion directly with the state. I am prior military but took the course anyway just to get the pretty little card.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    Just do the online course. If he can read, he has passed. That also officially registers the successful course completion directly with the state. I am prior military but took the course anyway just to get the pretty little card.

you dont even need to read. 20 minutes of listening to a guy read it to you and clicking the mouse button.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I've used my retired ID twice. When asked if I had completed the MD safety video I pulled out my retired ID, both looked at it and said 'OK, you're good'. No copying of any info on the card, no DD214 needed.

:thumbsup:

ETA: both were new purchases, I've never done a MSP transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom