• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    Wife does not eat wild game, I do that is why I only hunt rabbit, this year I will be hunting deer for the first time in 20 years. So here is my question, If I get a deer this year, would like to know if someone wants to split it with me? PM me and let me know, I will be taking the deer to meat processor. Thanks

James

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    If you're interested I have a venison casserole recipe that if she gives an honest taste I guarantee she will like it. If she doesn't eat it just because it's not beef, pork or chicken I can't help you.

My wife would never touch the stuff until I started doing a salt water soak and found a few GOOD recipes for it and now that's what she prefers to eat.

If you were closer I would split it with you but you're a little too far. Good luck.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Wife does not eat wild game, I do that is why I only hunt rabbit, this year I will be hunting deer for the first time in 20 years. So here is my question, If I get a deer this year, would like to know if someone wants to split it with me? PM me and let me know, I will be taking the deer to meat processor. Thanks

James

See if your processor takes part in the feed the homeless program and ask if you can donate half.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I can not imagine why you would want to give away half a deer. The meat will last just over a year in the freezer and for the cost of processing these days, it would be worth it to have standard cuts in the freezer. I use to pay for processing, but, in the past 2 years, I went back to doing it myself.

I make standard cuts and wrap the rest as roasts and if I feel the need for burger, I break out the grinder and make what I need from a roast. Try getting $80.00 worth of meat from the grocery store and then see what you'll get from a deer, the grocery store doesn't compare to the deal from a deer.

But, as K31 said, at least give it to FHFH or someone who can use it. Too many take and then waste free deer meat.

nobones

Dec 2, 2009
    Calvert
    If you're interested I have a venison casserole recipe that if she gives an honest taste I guarantee she will like it. If she doesn't eat it just because it's not beef, pork or chicken I can't help you.

My wife would never touch the stuff until I started doing a salt water soak and found a few GOOD recipes for it and now that's what she prefers to eat.

If you were closer I would split it with you but you're a little too far. Good luck.

Yeah, thats the ticket. I do a cajun brisket with either backstraps or roasts; freakin awesome. Simmered in a light crab shrimp boil for a few hours to pick up some heat; then in the oven for 2 more under a onion, gr pepper, cajun spice thin gravy. I am hungry, and will have to make this this week.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

This...also you can soak in milk overnight...discard the milk and takes out the game taste...the deer I shot this year had no game taste at all...only real difference I can tell of the meat is it tastes cleaner than store bought beef...and truly is "Organic" meat! or free range...however you like to call it...I would just hold on to it as you can vacuum seal it and it will last till next season!

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I made Grillades on Sunday - it's like Beef Bourginon - a Cajun stew-awesome! Also, you can make chili and all the other stuff hide (enhance?) the venison. Of course, you could butcher it yourself and get Frenched chops like these:
    2010_0102Image0004.jpg

Mikeyworks

Sep 20, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    Cooking tip...to get those bones really clean, use a short length of fishing line wrapped around the bone and slide it up the bone and off. It will clean the remaining meat right off for a cleaner presentation....(I will go hand in my man card now!!)

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    This...also you can soak in milk overnight...discard the milk and takes out the game taste...the deer I shot this year had no game taste at all...only real difference I can tell of the meat is it tastes cleaner than store bought beef...and truly is "Organic" meat! or free range...however you like to call it...I would just hold on to it as you can vacuum seal it and it will last till next season!

I can tell a difference in texture of the meat. It has finer strands than beef IMO.

I made Grillades on Sunday - it's like Beef Bourginon - a Cajun stew-awesome! Also, you can make chili and all the other stuff hide (enhance?) the venison. Of course, you could butcher it yourself and get Frenched chops like these:
    2010_0102Image0004.jpg

Those are beautiful looking roasts there. Next deer I'm get I'm going to french them like that. I'm also going to do a couple of bone in shanks which would be the lower front leg. Usually cut up to make burger as there's not much there and what is is a little fibrous. I hear that if you braise them long enough they fall off the bone.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Mickeyworks - use a short length of fishing line wrapped around the bone and slide it up the bone and off.
    WHOAAA nice tip, thanks, man!
    JOEMAC : beautiful looking roasts there
    OUCH! I guess they could be roasts (inderect dry heat) , but they are really chops (Direct high heat). I grill em & flip em around, and set em on the bones most, - there's 5 sides to hit. They need to be RARE. Or it's ruined. Broil or grill is the WTG.
    Joemac - couple of bone in shanks
    Yup, moist slow cooking in a crock pot, bones and all, for a long time. No use to try and get 1/8 lb. of burger unless you got all day slicing thru the sinew.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    In technical butcher terms that cut above is classified as a roast (rib in loin roast or frenched loin roast) They don't become chops until you cut them. Pretty much six in one half dozen in the other type of thing. :beer:

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    If you get a younger deer ( button buck, doe fawn, or 1.5 yr old doe) the meat will be delicious without doing any sort of soaks or marinades. Also there is some meat in the rump that is better than the backstraps. They should be cut as roasts ( rump). My dad made up one of these as a sort of venison marsala, and OMG was that good!

Another thing- some of these 5-6 month old deer have meat that will cook up WHITE- yes "veniveal" LOL. My button buck didn't, but I've seen it with smaller doe fawns.

My mother has made a roast with the shoulder blade and humerus bone still in, using whole mustard slathered on top ( mustard seed type mustard). She once made one for a News Years eve party and it was picked clean if I recall.

I've only killed 1 deer myself, but I can get deer meat easily from others.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    What do you use to split the spine?

I haven't made this cut myself personally yet but if I know what I'm talking about you just have to cut the rib bones as they connect to the spine. You don't acutally have to cut the vertebrea just the rib bones. So, I'd use a hacksaw or sawzall. Butchers probably use a band saw.

I might be way off on this though.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    I also believe the spinal fluid and bone marrow in general leaves a really nasty aftertaste and is in general undesirable. That's why I cut all the bones out. This isn't even considering cwd which should be reason enough.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I also believe the spinal fluid and bone marrow in general leaves a really nasty aftertaste and is in general undesirable. That's why I cut all the bones out. This isn't even considering cwd which should be reason enough.
    The fat contains a strong flavor too, and I remove EVERYTHING that isn't red for best results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom