• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdsteele

May 21, 2013
    I'm a MD Designated Collector. Of course, that means that I can transport a gun to a "private exhibition".

If I want to exhibit my pistol to my son-in-law out in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay (and use my 9mm Beretta pistol for fishing :rolleyes:),
    is it OK to transport my gun via my boat?

Last edited:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I'm a MD Designated Collector. Of course, that means that I can transport a gun to a "private exhibition".

If I want to exhibit my pistol to my son-in-law out in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay (and use my 9mm Beretta pistol for fishing), is it OK to transport my gun via my boat?

That ain't gonna happen..... legally.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Not if it is loaded at anytime during the trip. The definition of "vehicle" under the PS article includes "boats" traveling on Maryland waterways, so however you can transport in a car on a highway in Maryland with a DC you can transport on a boat, and vice versa. You'd think if the boat was large enough, with a mortgage deduction, and perhaps being legitimately claimed as a second home, that you could keep a loaded firearm on board for self-defense "within the home," but that isn't likely to hold up as soon as you leave your slip. So when you load the firearm without a C&W permit, and even before you break the law by shooting at a fish, you have violated Maryland law and FOPA and are subject to a trip to Central Booking. I realize these questions are a sarcastic and fun way to poke fun at ridiculous laws, I'm just not sure how constructive they are when they can be twisted and used by libtards as examples irresponsible gun owners.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    For a mortgage deduction doesn't a boat need a galley and a head? If so I would think it would be your temporary home. Too logical I guess.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    For a mortgage deduction doesn't a boat need a galley and a head? If so I would think it would be your temporary home. Too logical I guess.

Yes. But as soon as it moves on the water it is a vehicle just like a car or even a motor home on the highway - generally have to keep weapons unloaded, in separate compartments in holsters, or locked cases, i.e. unloaded and not readily accessible. Shooting at fish? That's another story altogether :sad20:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Boat that is deducted as a second home, should be the same as a motor home.

When stopped, it is a second home. When moving, treat them them same.

IANAL.

Guns on a Boat?

If you have a set of these, nobody will mess with you.

Attachments

• Twin mount .50 Cal.jpg
      Twin mount .50 Cal.jpg
      34 KB · Views: 800

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Let's keep in mind that while the IRS code considers it a "home" for the deduction of mortgage interest, that does NOT mean that the Md. Code views it as a home for handgun carry purposes. I would be extremely careful in trying to stretch the home mortgage interest deduction definition of home to the castle doctrine, etc.

Obviously, firearms can be transported in a boat, just like a car. Otherwise, waterfowling would be limited to fields pretty much.

It is illegal to shoot at fish with a handgun.

It is illegal to shoot from a boat, just as it is illegal to shoot from a car. Don't know if there is an exception for shooting from a moored boat used as a duck blind, but I have never done it and as a result never looked up the law.

End of the day, shooting at fish with a 9mm handgun from a boat is just a bad idea all the way around.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I see your logic, and award you ten inernets for ingenuity.

However, I wouldn't want to have to try to defend that logic to a DNR officer, or a judge.

enjoi1968

Streets Closed Pizza Boy.
    May 10, 2013
    What's it, 3 miles off shore is the international water line? Or is it 6 miles. I can't remember. But I cam remember after that line is crossed all law is subjective to the Captain of the vessel.

That's how NAMBLA rolls, iirc.

:lol:

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    What's it, 3 miles off shore is the international water line? Or is it 6 miles. I can't remember. But I cam remember after that line is crossed all law is subjective to the Captain of the vessel.

That's how NAMBLA rolls, iirc.

:lol:
    12 miles, but as I understand it, you can shoot anything once you are 3 miles out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom