• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zibner

Aug 15, 2013
    Lexington Park Md
    Fired a brand new Rhino 2 inch barrel with 38s today at the range and pulled very high consistently; switched to s&w m&p with 9mm and every shot on target. Is there something I'm missing? I thought you can fire 38s from the Rhino 357?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've fired 2 diff't Rhino's, both shot quite high at 5 and 10 yards.

What grain/weight ammo were you using?

Zibner

Aug 15, 2013
    Lexington Park Md
    Started out at about 7m then brought it in to 5m.

Blazer 158gr

Was thinking of buying a laser dot cartridge to confirm the sights which are both fixed then trying again starting at 5 feet and work the target out.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Started out at about 7m then brought it in to 5m.

Blazer 158gr

Was thinking of buying a laser dot cartridge to confirm the sights which are both fixed then trying again starting at 5 feet and work the target out.

With shorter barrels like that, you should be shooting 125gr ammunition. My 4" GP100 shoots way high with the 158gr ammo, but with 125gr ammo it shoots to the sights. Plus 125gr is cheaper than the heavier 158s.

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    My 4" GP 100 shoots fine with .38 spl 158 gr, same as my 6". Got an SP 101 2" that I'm trying to figure out, shoots 3" low at 10 yds. with the 158 swc. Wife's .38 +P LCR shoots almost as good as the GP 100s at 10 yds. with the same ammo (actually it likes the hotter +Ps). I've got a bunch of .38 spl fmj and hp from 110 gr up to 158 reg. and +Ps. I'd like to get it where I can keep 5 in 4" at 10 yds. before I move to .357 mags in it.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    The revolver will shoot lower with lighter bullets -110s and 125s. The lower velocity heavy rounds expend more recoil in the barrel and launch higher.
    DocAitch

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    You did keep in mind the site's are an inch above the barrel right lol

search

This. The sight picture will be well above POI at close range due to the gun design.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Part of it is that the gun itself is difficult to fire like other guns with 2-ish inch barrels. I can shoot a full-sized or compact-sized 9mm I am familiar with reasonably fast at around 21 feet and easily keep a 4-5-ish inch group. With a snub, I can't do that at any distance...and even slowfire swiss cheeses the target. I spent a lot of time working with a Smith 2-inch in .38+p and I just could not reach a point of proficiency I was ever satisfied with. As a general rule, the loss in both shot placement accuracy and speed of fire takes a pretty serious hit when you get to small-small guns.

The shorter sight radius not only makes target acquisition and recovery speed more difficult (and slower), but any tolerances that are off in regards to sights are going to have a much more dramatic effect than on a gun with a longer sight radius. Also, any aiming or follow-through errors will also be amplified in effect.

Also, ammo tends to behave differently through extremely short barrels. Not sure if that would impact this tho.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    whenever my guns are shooting off from point of aim, I find it's best to fall back on fundamentals and usually I find out what I need to do different with that specific gun.

After shooting my SR-40 for awhile I forgot from muscle memory the fact that some pistols need a conscious effort to pull STRAIGHT back on the trigger, and not back and to the left, as we tend to do unconsciously. That damn ruger was so ergonomic, a good trigger pull was nearly automatic, so when I switched back to a glock, I was shooting consistently left until I fell back on fundamentals and then no more problems.

Usually I shoot low with revolvers when shooting in double action...

Anyways, give it a concerted effort to give it a good slow consistent trigger squeeze and see where that gets you.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Part of it is that the gun itself is difficult to fire like other guns with 2-ish inch barrels. I can shoot a full-sized or compact-sized 9mm I am familiar with reasonably fast at around 21 feet and easily keep a 4-5-ish inch group. With a snub, I can't do that at any distance...and even slowfire swiss cheeses the target. I spent a lot of time working with a Smith 2-inch in .38+p and I just could not reach a point of proficiency I was ever satisfied with. As a general rule, the loss in both shot placement accuracy and speed of fire takes a pretty serious hit when you get to small-small guns.

The shorter sight radius not only makes target acquisition and recovery speed more difficult (and slower), but any tolerances that are off in regards to sights are going to have a much more dramatic effect than on a gun with a longer sight radius. Also, any aiming or follow-through errors will also be amplified in effect.

Also, ammo tends to behave differently through extremely short barrels. Not sure if that would impact this tho.

I disagree. The most accurate gun I own is a Polish P-64 from before the change to the triangular hammer spur. Although it is not PLEASANT to shoot quickly, I can dump all seven shots in less that five seconds into a hand sized group at 15 yards. Furthermore, with patient attention to grip and trigger, I can consistently group about 2 inches with brass cased Prvi Partizan (barring an occasional flyer) at the 25 yard targets at the AGC handgun range.

My CZ-82s are also some of the most accurate guns I own, handily outshooting 5 inch barreled 1911s, Tokarevs, and Glock 34s. And they are decidedly small handguns, concealing in a pocket without too much trouble.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I disagree. The most accurate gun I own is a Polish P-64 from before the change to the triangular hammer spur. Although it is not PLEASANT to shoot quickly, I can dump all seven shots in less that five seconds into a hand sized group at 15 yards. Furthermore, with patient attention to grip and trigger, I can consistently group about 2 inches with brass cased Prvi Partizan (barring an occasional flyer) at the 25 yard targets at the AGC handgun range.

My CZ-82s are also some of the most accurate guns I own, handily outshooting 5 inch barreled 1911s, Tokarevs, and Glock 34s. And they are decidedly small handguns, concealing in a pocket without too much trouble.

My assumption would be tho that you shoot a G34, 82, or 1911 substantially better than the P64 and you can shoot it faster with a faster followup and that is my point. Relative to how someone shoots a full-sized gun, micro-small guns almost always result in a significant hit to the user's true capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom