• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    OK, don't laugh too hard. It's time for another totally NOOB dumb question.....

Is it OK to store a gun in a safe standing, or leaning, on its barrel instead of the stock? :o

If you alternate stock down and barrel down, you can stuff a lot more into the safe that way - but only if it won't harm the guns.

Thanks!

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    I see this post has been up for 30 minutes and no one has taken the bait. The anwer is, yes, it's safe to store a long arm barrel-down in a gun safe. Just make sure the bottom of the safe is soft or carpeted, as you would not want to damage the crown of the barrel on a hard surface.
    D

BTW, there are no dumb questions, but there are a plethora of dumb answers ;^P

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Either way is fine. Most folks store rifles buttstock down since they're easier to balance, Downside to that is if you've heavily oiled the bore and action; it can leach into the stock.

Storing rifles muzzle end down can be done as well, but you must protect the crown (muzzle end) with carpet or something like that on the floor of the safe and/or cabinet.

Kindest Regards,

-Will

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I see this post has been up for 30 minutes and no one has taken the bait. The anwer is, yes, it's safe to store a long arm barrel-down in a gun safe. Just make sure the bottom of the safe is soft or carpeted, as you would not want to damage the crown of the barrel on a hard surface.
    D

Danny, I was drinking beer and typing at the same time. Hence, my late response. Ya beat me to it :lol2:

Kindest regards,

-Will

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    barrel down is better. That way extra oil soaks down the barrel rather than through the action and rotting the wood. If you have synthetic stocks it doesnt matter either way. Do make sure the bottom of the safe is well safe (non marring material)

andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    Salty Dog, There are definately no dumb questions, I've been shooting since I was a kid and I never knew that. That's great info 'cuz my safe is a little tight. Thanks for asking

andy

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    barrel down is better. That way extra oil soaks down the barrel rather than through the action and rotting the wood. If you have synthetic stocks it doesnt matter either way. Do make sure the bottom of the safe is well safe (non marring material)

i didnt know oil rotted wood?

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    My stack-on safe came with a thin layer of foam. The styro-foam that packaged the safe I cut to the dimensions of the foam. The bottom of my safe is two layers of styro-foam and crowned with the open cell foam, yielding about 2 inches of firm, scratch free padding.

They stay off the side walls with the included mounts which can be pushed out further with a scope relief piece.

Cheap. Simple. Works.

beaglefan

Nov 29, 2008
    Essex md.
    I've read somewhere in a gun rag that gun oil should never be used on stocks.Breaks down the wood cells and can cause splitting of wood by making it too soft if I remember right.The bottom line was stay away from petroleum base oils.Oils like linseed and other oils made for wood were ok.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    thats interesting...i either have never encountered it or maybe i just didnt have the wood soaking in it...i just put a light coat of remoil on my guns and it doesnt seem to be a problem...none of my rifles have rotted or decayed wood...or weakened wood...

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County

Perhaps this is one? . . .

Well I could answer the scientific approach and list the reasons as to how/why the wood may or may not soak up the oil, and thus leaving anyone without a bio background in awe...but I think I'll take the strict Good Ole Boy From Culvert County way and say..too much oil is a bad thing because not only does it get on the wood, but it gets on one's clothes, all over the case/safe...so just use enough oil to lubricate all the parts and that's that. However, I have on occasion oiled the Mossberg we have a little too much and I noticed some oil leaking around the chamber, and onto the wood (it was stored for about 1-2 months before I took it out to shoot trap again) but I wiped it right off and I've had no problems since.

I think it all "boils down" too what one prefers; either stock end down, or muzzle end down...stricly opinionated...

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Salty Dog, There are definately no dumb questions, I've been shooting since I was a kid and I never knew that. That's great info 'cuz my safe is a little tight. Thanks for asking

andy

Andy, no problem. I'm quite used to being the one that asks the dumb questions. :D

Very glad if this helped some other folks as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom