• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Does anyone know of any gun shoes that will take a gun as a trade in? Around the Taneytown/Frederick, MD around or so would be great. I have an older used Savage 30-06 that I bought probably 15 years ago and haven't used. Wouldn't mind getting ride of it for something that I may actually use, but don't really want the hassle of trying to sell privately.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I would say ANY LGS would take as a trade in if you are purchasing a gun from them (in stock).
    The real question is will you get 50%, 30% or 25% of it's resale value?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There are a few gun retailers that only dealing in new merchandise and don't take trades...usually big box places like Walmart but some local places don't...but selling guns is probably not their major business.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I would say ANY LGS would take as a trade in if you are purchasing a gun from them (in stock).
    The real question is will you get 50%, 30% or 25% of it's resale value?
    *****Yup, You might get 50% of its value vs the open market as the shop is in business to make money and they have overhead, employees, insurance, and other expenses they have to cover. If you want top dollar for your piece, sell it online or offer it up in the classifieds here, etc..

You may not get what you think your gun is worth, but selling in the open market is a free market way of determining the true worth of whatever you are selling.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Does anyone know of any gun shoes that will take a gun as a trade in? Around the Taneytown/Frederick, MD around or so would be great. I have an older used Savage 30-06 that I bought probably 15 years ago and haven't used. Wouldn't mind getting ride of it for something that I may actually use, but don't really want the hassle of trying to sell privately.
    What model is the Savage? 110 111? Wood or Synthetic stock? Does it have an adjustable Accutrigger?

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    What model is the Savage? 110 111? Wood or Synthetic stock? Does it have an adjustable Accutrigger?

It's been awhile since I looked at the gun, but I think its a 110 with a wood stock. I think it's a 1985 model year, but I could have that confused with another gun. I know I bought it used, refinished the stock and put a cheap I think BSA scope on it. It does not have the Accutrigger.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Try the classified here.

OR you can try consignment. United has a reputation for their consignement section. IIRC they charge 15% fee.

Tyler's Firearms I think charges 10%, but will waive the 10% and charge only a $20 transaction fee if you decide to convert the money into store credit. I've sold multiple firearms through them using this process.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    From your description, you have a very common used Savage 110 with a refinished stock and a cheap scope. Either way, you're going to take a serious bath on it unless you find a not overly savvy guy that really wants a used hunting rifle off-season. I would consider keeping it and just buy something else. I would guess on a private sale (which I understand has the same paperwork in Maryland as a new dealer sale), you might pull down $350-$400 (maybe). To a dealer, that same gun might bring $200. If it works well, and shoots where you point it, keep it.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    …Wouldn't mind getting rid of it … but don't really want the hassle of trying to sell privately.

Not so LOL, box it up and send it over to Europe!

Just rec’d this from Msr J. Farnam, DTI https://defense-training.com/quips/:

"Short Supply!"

24 Feb 23

"What you don't have is always important!"

Botha

NATO’s current Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg, is frantically urging all members to immediately ramp-up production of weapons and ammunition, military ordnance of all kinds!

Artillery shells and small-arms ammunition are in particularly short supply, due to the rate at which they’re currently being consumed in the Ukraine War.

Depending on caliber, each artillery shell requires as much as several pounds of propellant powder (essentially the same as what is used to manufacture small-arms ammunition), and the Ukrainian Army is expending several thousand artillery rounds per day!

In this country, we’ve already sent-over to Ukraine a sizable portion of our Army’s inventory of artillery shells, not to mention missiles, rockets, etc. We are significantly drawn-down, and making all that back-up will take years, depending upon rates of production, and current rates of consumption both in Ukraine and for our normal domestic peace-time training.

Other NATO members are no better-off!

The upshot for American gun-owners, particularly reloaders, is that propellant powder (among other ammunition components) is in decreasing supply, and the supply available to civilians may dry-up completely.

Reloaders are well-advised to stock-up now, while they still can. All gun-owners should have adequate stores of ammunition.

The Ukraine War will not be ending any time soon.

In fact, it may be expanding!

/John Farnam , DTI - Defensive Training International https://defense-training.com/quips/

Sirex