• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eah990

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey guys,

I recently just bought my own house and want to upgrade from a gun cabinet to a substantial gun safe. I would like to have something that can hold more than 15 long guns, and has a few shelves above for pistols. Also It needs to be able to fit thought the door of my town house lol. Anyone have any suggestions and or links.

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    i just bought a field and stream at dicks sporting goods that holds 24 rifles and has shelving and it was only 699. not a bad deal i don't think and it was 100 dollars off. they have the exact matching stack on safe for same price at 200 dollars off. Just didn't have it at the warehouse so i bought the field and stream.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Same advice I give everyone. Pick the size you think you need and buy one that is one or two sizes bigger. You'll save money in the long run. They fill up fast.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    200.00 or 2500.00 You're just buying a cabinet with some fire protection and a upgraded lock. Get one with good fire rating, and the size you need.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Pretty big fan of the Dakotas, modular with the fire kit protection is fairly good. Can be moved when you want.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    200.00 or 2500.00 You're just buying a cabinet with some fire protection and a upgraded lock. Get one with good fire rating, and the size you need.

what he said:thumbsup: olus (as has been [pointed out) the size you need is twice the size you think you need. I scored a big Browning safe years ago, and have been very happy with it, but it's starting to get crowded and there are no easy/good options for fixing that.

alternatively, for the price of a good safe you could get a safe door and install it in a custom bunker. that should give you enough room:D

araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    i just bought a field and stream at dicks sporting goods that holds 24 rifles and has shelving and it was only 699.

I have this one as well and I really like it. One side for long guns and one side for pistols in my case. Many safes say they hold X number of guns and you have to cut that by about 20% to be realistic, but with the exception of one of my bolt guns I'm able to pretty easily get one gun per notch without anything touching.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    http://www.thompsonsafes.com

I bought two safes from them. They have a good selection and price range. Buy at least twice as big as you think you need.

I second Thompson Safes in Frederick, MD. I bought a Summit Cascade from them. I had an issue with the combo lock and the owner Mike came down to my place with a locksmith that was personally known to him and made it just exactly right.

On a related note, how are you guys storing SBRs in your safes? They seem to be too short to stand up with the rest of the 16"+ barrels and they are taking up lots of space if they are lying down on a shelf....

araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    Wooden dowel down the barrel extends the axis so you can still put the gun on the rest even though the barrel won't be touching.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I looked at Bowning safes at Shyda's Gun Shop in Lebonon PA. The thing I liked is there was a rack on the door that would hold long guns. That feature would certainly help me with storage.

eah990

Feb 25, 2010
    yeah i would probably like to spend no more than 600-800. right now i have stack on cabinets which are just to prevent kids from getting to them and thats about it.

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    I have some Browning Gun Safes in stock and what I don't have I can order. I also have some Winchester Legacy 22's on closeout. Call or PM me for pricing.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    It took 5 guys to deliver my safe, its worth paying for the safe delivery from a reputable seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom