• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    So in posting what I would do with my taxes, I realized that I never got that gun safe that I was thinking of getting (when I had money of course).

Well... tax return this year is going to be nice but I still need to budget other house projects in with other purchases so I wasn't looking to spend more than $1k on a safe. With that said, I have always had my eye on the Stack-On ones at Dicks. Not the cheap green ones but their beefier lines like the Total Defense or Elite models.

Question is... has anyone heard good, bad, or indifferent on these? I would love to drop $2k but I don't think Mama will like that especially to her, she doesn't see any difference in the cheaper ones and the more expensive.

Thanks!

mbenz85

MDS Supporter
    Apr 22, 2009
    Harford County
    If you're trying to get the most bang for your buck look into used ones. I've seen some very nice Liberty models from $1k to $2k. They are worth usually double that if you bought it new. Shop around and don't forget to check out gun connection they have a nice supply. Good luck

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    dicks is usually overpriced...look elsewhere and you can find a better deal guaranteed! gun shows have them too....just have to shop around...

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    Dump her.

Unfortunately its cheaper to keep her now...

K-31 has it correct. Where were you 10 years ago??

I was single and having fun... I would have love to have run into a gun friendly girl back then... hell things would have been easier when it came to the "guns" issue and all that goes along with it.

But in saying that... I love my wife and she just became a member on here which makes me very proud!

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    Those safes are RSC but their better than a Stack On metal cabinet.

But I wasn't asking about the metal cabinet ones... they have ones that are fire rated and waterproof like some of the more known brands, just not as expensive.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    But I wasn't asking about the metal cabinet ones... they have ones that are fire rated and waterproof like some of the more known brands, just not as expensive.

Just saying the Sam's Club price point is close to the Stack On metal cabinets.

Check out the link for the buyers guide, it is very helpful

Lawyer56

Feb 10, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Sturdy Gun Safe (California) manufactures and sells a 7 gauge body, 5/16 door unfirelined safe (24x19x60) delivered to your garage for $1,119.00. Capacity is stated to be 18 guns. The safe weights 520 lbs. The door is removeable.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    Just saying the Sam's Club price point is close to the Stack On metal cabinets.

Check out the link for the buyers guide, it is very helpful

I gotcha... I just finished reading that guide you linked... very helpful!
    Thanks for your input!

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    I recommend finding a safe dealer in your area and seeing if they can give you a deal on a nice safe.

Dan from GC PM'ed me and said to stop in... might have to take him up on the offer:thumbsup:

After reading the link huckleberry sent... It would be good to get some first hand knowledge from someone on how to implement their suggestions and still get what I need for a good price.

srholt18

Dec 3, 2009
    Jarrettsville, MD

I bought the Stack-On elite for $450 (floor model) from dicks. Not the best in quality, but gets the job done. Since the the collection has grown and I'll probably bite the bullet and get a top quality safe next go around.

The only complaint I have is it looks fairly cheap inside (drywall covered with a cheap carpet, and plastic gun holders).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom