• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Do you guys ever get failures with the biometrics? I've read that that's not uncommon.

I've also read that the biometric can be slower than my push-button model: that there is a noticeable pause between the time you swipe your finger and the moment the computer chip decides to grudgingly allow you access to the box's contents. Mine flies open instantly.

The biometrics sound cool, but I believe we tend to be unwisely dazzled by technology.
    Why pay $100 more for a product that's slower and less reliable?

Of course, I'm an old fashioned guy: a bit skeptical of technology. If the M1 Garand was good enough for Sergeant York at San Juan Hill, why it's good enough for me.

honeybadger

Feb 8, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I had a job in a hospital required a lot of biometric scanning to access the med system. So you figure that how many people used it with 6-8 nurses and 30+ patients. It worked good but there is a delay and if your finger wasn't on the scanner correctly, skin was dry, or too moist from lotions etc... So I find it hard to believe a simple home one would be as quick as a industrial one. Plus I would worry if the battery went dead.

Jan 25, 2011
    MD
    "So if this kid had walked in with a [knife] and stabbed someone would we secure our kitchen knives?," one person wrote on the message board Tuesday. "A lot of people grow up around 'un secured' firearms and do not go out killing people."

they be creepin on our forums

I always said the same thing about knives. Sadly enough since the media gives so much attention to firearm crimes, they have become the weapon of choice.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Seriously guys? What's up with "oh it's the parents fault" If you are 15 and you can figure out how to get into secured stuff then you are doing it wrong.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Didn't he burglarize his father's house (with whom he did not live) and steal the shotgun?

It may have been an "acquaintance burglary", but it was still a burglary.

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Seriously guys? What's up with "oh it's the parents fault" If you are 15 and you can figure out how to get into secured stuff then you are doing it wrong.

If your kid is idolizing the Columbine shooters and considers himself part of the Manson family, and you don't know about it & get him some help- IT'S YOUR FAULT!

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    If your kid is idolizing the Columbine shooters and considers himself part of the Manson family, and you don't know about it & get him some help- IT'S YOUR FAULT!

Right cause the parents walked into the school and shot it up. Don't be ****ing stupid. You blaming the parents is just like libs blaming the gun.

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Right cause the parents walked into the school and shot it up. Don't be ****ing stupid. You blaming the parents is just like libs blaming the gun.

I won't be ****ing stupid if you won't be a ****ing idiot. That kid was reaching out for help and he did not get it because no one in his life paid attention. Too many of the ills in our current society are because some "parents" are not doing their jobs. They don't teach right from wrong. They don't find out who their kids hang out with. They don't go look at the kids facebook and phone to find out what's going on in thier life.

If you do not agree with this, then I hope you never have kids.

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    And as far as your comparison of parents to guns, the gun is an inanimate object it cannot do anything without someone controlling it. But kids are a product of their upbringing, which is completely the responsibility of their parents.

Arsenal

May 6, 2011
    In your bushes
    There are reasons why minors are labeled as such until a certain age. It seems as if the members here and their children are some of the exceptions but that does not mean that all children, minors, and those under the adult classification (i.e. friends, house guests) are capable of making mature and responsible decisions concerning firearms. To me, it is not worth the risk but I respect the decisions of other members.

Additionally, in my line of work, I have worked with families where one child may be perfectly capable of safely handling a loaded firearm where a sibling of similar age should not be allowed in the same room as one. Each situation is unique and as many have stated, involved and responsible parenting is needed to ensure the safety of our children and 2A rights.

Take care.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    There are reasons why minors are labeled as such until a certain age. It seems as if the members here and their children are some of the exceptions but that does not mean that all children, minors, and those under the adult classification (i.e. friends, house guests) are capable of making mature and responsible decisions concerning firearms. To me, it is not worth the risk but I respect the decisions of other members.

Additionally, in my line of work, I have worked with families where one child may be perfectly capable of safely handling a loaded firearm where a sibling of similar age should not be allowed in the same room as one. Each situation is unique and as many have stated, involved and responsible parenting is needed to ensure the safety of our children and 2A rights.

Take care.

Couldn't agree more. Irresponsible gun owners are going to cause a push for more gun control. After reading that article, I wouldn't be suprised if they make a push for regulating long guns as well.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...

Take care.

You hit the nail on the head ( perfectly ). Well stated. :clap:

ked0607

Aug 25, 2012
    PG CO
    BE A PARENT !!!!!!

I agree it is his parents fault. Its any adults fault that is in his life. Gun control is the least of the worries in this state. Hell parents get stoned and high right in front of their kids. Smoke snort or shoot up right infront of them. Parents are too flipping busy doing "me" than taking the responsibility to make the hard decisions. Being a parent isnt being their friend. Its being that person teaches them honor respect and responsibility. People are to worried about being cool with their kids. Hell some parents smoke pot with their 15 year olds at home because" if they are with me doing it its safe". I knew where the guns were and knew where the key was and never touched them growing up unless we were hunting and was told to get them out the cabinet. Its called raising an adult not raising a kid. Kids always wait for their parents to do shit for them. Kids always need mom and dads support and approval. Adults already know the right way to do things and dont have to ask their parents. To many kids have been raised to stay kids and not enough adults. I agree if you dont agree that the parents FAILED then you shouldnt have any kids. It takes more than money and gifts to raise an adult. Spend time with them, spend time with them, teach them real life and not fantasy. Dont spoil the brats. They wont grow up to hate you they will grow up to respect you as well as many other respectable adults.

Esquire

Sep 13, 2012
    I don't know if it has been mentioned, but if you cannot afford a large safe to house your guns, you could separate the firing pins, trigger packs, or some other vital component from the guns as a layer of added security against prying hands. If you have a small safe, you could lock the devices in there. It's not ideal, but it is better than simply leaving the gun around, or simply locked with the lock new gun manufacturers provide.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I always said the same thing about knives. Sadly enough since the media gives so much attention to firearm crimes, they have become the weapon of choice.

Sgt Preston here...

Knives are for people with guts...

It takes, effort, strength, speed & force to stab someone & there is a good chance it may NOT go as planned...

Meanwhile cowards can choose unsecured guns because we leave them laying around & they don't have to get too close to do the deed...

That's what we are dealing with folks...

Secure your guns before it's too late...

BTW...Did we really think that the anti-gun news reporters weren't reading our forum each week or have fewer than 50 posts..?

How do you think they are able to quote us..?

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Sgt Preston here...

Knives are for people with guts...

It takes, effort, strength, speed & force to stab someone & there is a good chance it may NOT go as planned...

Meanwhile cowards can choose unsecured guns because we leave them laying around & they don't have to get too close to do the deed...

That's what we are dealing with folks...

Secure your guns before it's too late...

BTW...Did we really think that the anti-gun news reporters weren't reading our forum each week or have fewer than 50 posts..?

How do you think they are able to quote us..?

I agree 1000%. Well said. :thumbsup: Killing someone with a knife is V-E-R-Y "up close and personal".
    Unless you sever the carotid artery, you will need to PLUNGE that knife into
    a body mass......repeatedly!!

It's L-E-S-S personal to stand 10 ft. from a person and shoot.
    Just 'sayin. Secure your weapons, PARTICULARLY with children around. You know the old saying...." Better to be Safe Than Sorry". ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom