• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    "Buy once, Cry once"

That is the best advice I've heard and now abide by. If I can't afford what I really want, I wait until I can.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Do not ever buy a stripped ar lower. they multiply automatically at the expense of your bank account. seriously, ive seen a take down pin detent become a full weapon. just say no to ebr.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    -Do your research before you make a purchase. Let's say you want a full size 9mm polymer pistol. Many companies make this particular type of firearm. Each brand is subtly different. Different ergonomics, mag capacity, safety features, etc. Comparing the 92fs, G17, P226, USP, M&P, and XD.
    -Don't completely deny your fanboy tendencies. There's probably a reason you like a certain maker, caliber, or platform. If it'll make you happy and suit your needs then it's a good purchase. There are "better" 1911s than the Colt Government model. But it goes bang and cycles, puts bullets where I want, and puts a smile on my face.

Good luck. Firearm shopping is one of the most aggravating and fun experiences.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    before you buy a particular brand and caliber, check out availability and cost of ammo and accessories.

try a bunch of similar guns at a range before buying.

consider getting an airsoft gun given that ammo is scarce and sky-high!

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I'd say getting too caught up in the caliber wars if you are thinking handgun (I've fallen in that hole) and looking at any single brand is "best". Glock, Sig, HK, SW, FNH, Ruger, SA, etc...all make great stuff and what is 'best' for one user seems to depend on the price and features one personally likes. For example, you may love the heavy weight of the Sig Elite, or you may prefer the light-weight of a Glock. You make like the adjustable grips of the M&P, but find that the narrow grip and balance of the 1911 feels better to you. You may even like the 1911-style single action you can do with an HK, but how it also offers a double action pull in the event of a FTF. Or you may like the simple function of the trusty 686+ over a semi. I have noticed though that striker-fired guns tend to occasionally (rarely) have a FTF with milspec ammo (which I assume is due to harder primers?).

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    just make sure you actually can pick up and feel a weapon before you buy it, and shoot it if possible. Some guns just fit certain hands better or worse than others. For instance, a CZ-82 feels like a part of my body when I pick it up, but when my brother holds it he just can't get comfortable or shoot well with it despite the fantastic single and double action trigger pulls. Just go by what FEELS good instead of what looks good. Remember, this is a tool you could stake your life on someday, not just a cool looking toy to moon over.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    1. If it's regulated (handgun or long gun), make sure it's on the handgun roster before you spend time researching or trying to buy it.
    2. Buy what you like, not what other people say you should buy.
    3. Whether handgun or long gun, make sure you can comfortably hold or shoulder the gun before you buy it.
    4. Avoid "out there" guns if you're concerned about resale value.
    5. If buying used, condition is everything. Carefully inspect for signs for bubba gunsmithing or abuse.
    6. Make sure you can afford the ammo and add-ons/upgrades for whatever interests you. Upgrading an AR-15, especially with high-quality optics, can exceed the cost of the rifle.
    7. Don't get hung up on analysis paralysis trying to figure out which calibers are "best". Go with what you like, what suits your budget, and is appropriate for the task.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Don't waste money on an FFL dealer to do your regulated firearm transfer. They will charge you $45+ $10 background check fee. You can just go to any Maryland State Police barracks and they will do it for only the $10 background fee (check or money order, no cash)

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

Find a good FFL dealer that you can talk to & develop some trust in...

Listen to what he says...

Have him get your guns for you...

Most of the pitfalls that I have seen have to do with people looking to buy CHEAP & not knowing the regulations before they buy on line...

Things to look out for:

#1. Is the gun you are considering on the Merry Land approved firearm roster. If not, you can't own it & may not be able you return it...

#2. Does the pistol come with the required "Certified Fired Brass Casing". If not you need to find another FFL authorized to produce one for you = time, transportation (you pay) and $$ to produce a "certified" casing...

#3. Does the Pistol have a built in lock..? If not your FFL is obligated to sell you & install a chamber lock..?

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Really good advice from everyone already, I'll just parrot the buy once cry once idea.

Also... At the end of the day, these firearms are for YOU. don't let a forum make a decision for you. It's ok to be a fanboy. It's ok to get the things that you like even if people on the board don't agree.

That being said.... Buy a 1911. Don't buy anything in .40. :D

Minuteman - Oath Keeper

Guardian of the Republic
    Jan 28, 2013
    Khandahar, Afghanistan
    I appreciate all the advice. My shopping list is already set (aside from the pistol). I am very well trained on the M16/AR series and M9 and will most likely purchase those (barring the weapons not being banned).

I am very much interested in a PSL or like style weapon. As you can see in my photo, I have played with them, I do know they are not the best that is out there, and I need to stay in my ability range.

It has been some time since I've done some serious shooting but while I was in the Marines I was about 70% with the M16 A2 @ 500m with iron sights and feel comfortable in that 0 - 1000m range. If you know of any long rifles that are in that range that are worth a try, I'd love to hear.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Two words (beyond some already great "free" advice) for you...
    LOGISTICALLY CORRECT
    logistics are all about the life cycle of your new best friend...from getting it to getting rid of it.
    What are your requirements? Target only? Carry? How will you carry? Do you plan on dressing her up? Who makes stuff to dress her? Carry her? What will you feed her? How often and how many rounds do you plan to run through her? ( holsters, sights, scopes, optics, grips, furniture, caliber, cases, safes, locks, cleaning gear, parts, smith costs, etc.)
    Lots of things to consider. Buying is fun. Using them and owning them is a big responsibility as you know.
    Affordability isn't an issue that most of us consider carefully when we buy. Some(lucky ones among us) don't need to.
    I suggest you keep the number of calibers down. Consider availability...now and later...for parts and ammo.
    That said, if you're gonna shoot a lot, I suggest 9mm. If you can afford it, I suggest 45acp. 223/5.56 and .308 are good calls in long guns as is the venerable 22.
    Good luck!!! It really is some fun.

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    Most of my mistakes were omission, rather than commission. Not buying something I wanted, "saving it for later". Had a chance to buy a Python and a 1911 back in the 70's, and didn't. My latest "kick myself in the ass" is not buying a Mini-14 and Sig 9mm from Lou. Find what you like and buy it. Good guns last lifetimes, and they rarely get less expensive.

mrleftankle

Jan 26, 2013
    Don't buy a gun based on looks or price. I'm not a collector, so I have few firearms, but the few I have are high end weapons that I can trust my life with them.

I know so many people that buy several cheap guns before they realize, they should just pay the extra $300 (or whatever) and get the firearm that they should have gotten in the first place. The extra money after 20 yrs becomes negligible.

If you are a new shooter, I would suggest renting a similar firearm before you buy. Make sure it fits you and your needs.

fresh

Apr 8, 2012
    why is it so hard to buy guns Maryland

I have purchased guns in other states but it's never been difficult as in MD. do you recommend going to Pennsylvania to acquire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom