• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    21 years old or older in MD

At least until the hashing out between the AG and MDSP is settled. The most recent letter for the AG suggests that this will change (as it rightly should.) In the future I would expect that the GSG-5 will be not regulated.

So really, in MD anything that is "regulated" is 21+ and "not regulated" is 18+, we all know that the GSG-5 is not a copy of a regulated firearm. Some FFL's have offered in the past to transfer the GSG-5 as not regulated. Most FFL's are conservative and would rather lose your business than lose their license and ALL of their business... You can't hardly blame them.

So until the wheels of justice slowly churn, you would have to search long and hard to find an FFL that will take the risk of transferring a GSG-5 as not regulated, and no, I don't currently know an FFL who would transfer the GSG-5 as not regulated.

Mark

rmbstyle17

Dec 31, 2008
    Millersville
    would it be regulated in VA? could you legaly go out of state at 18 to purchase a firearm that is not regulated there, but regulated in md?

rmbstyle17

Dec 31, 2008
    Millersville
    this is crazy.... so I can own (already do own) a Accuracy International Arctic Warfare Super Magnum in .308, but i cant own a GSG 5 in .22lr :crazy::sad20:

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    would it be regulated in VA? could you legaly go out of state at 18 to purchase a firearm that is not regulated there, but regulated in md?

Any transaction you do in VA, if you are a MD resident, must comply with MD law. So for instance, let's take a clearly regulated firearm, the AK-47.

If you want to buy an AK-47, and you're a VA resident buying in VA, cash and carry at 18. However if you are a MD resident, you cannot buy one unless you are 21 in VA. So you can't get out of it that way, the sale has to comply with all MD state regulations to happen in VA. <- Federal law specifies that the interstate transaction must be legal in both states.

Fortunately, you can just buy an RPD or a VZ-58 instead.

Mark

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    this is crazy.... so I can own (already do own) a Accuracy International Arctic Warfare Super Magnum in .308, but i cant own a GSG 5 in .22lr :crazy::sad20:

Yes... as a matter of fact you can own all of the following:

FN-49, AR-15 HBAR, Mini-14, M1 Garand, SKS, VZ-58, RPD Semi, 1919A4 semi, just about anything in .338 Lapua Magnum, Barrett .50 cal, and an M2HB semi

Yep... all of those are completely legal for an 18 year old, cash and carry.

But don't think about getting a GSG-5! Why? Because you can't be trusted with an assault weapon. Buy a Ruger 10/22 instead.

Mark

rmbstyle17

Dec 31, 2008
    Millersville
    Yes... as a matter of fact you can own all of the following:

FN-49, AR-15 HBAR, Mini-14, M1 Garand, SKS, VZ-58, RPD Semi, 1919A4 semi, just about anything in .338 Lapua Magnum, Barrett .50 cal, and an M2HB semi

Yep... all of those are completely legal for an 18 year old, cash and carry.

But don't think about getting a GSG-5! Why? Because you can't be trusted with an assault weapon. Buy a Ruger 10/22 instead.

Mark

I know, I also have a AR lower on a Bohica .50 BMG upper, but i cant be trusted with a .22lr rifle because it looks scary. It doesnt make any sence and its VERY irritating.....

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    it really is quite stupid.

at 18 you can sign up to fight and they'll stick an m16 in your hands.

then when you come home you're told that you cannot buy a semi auto version of the m16 until you're 21.

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    Any transaction you do in VA, if you are a MD resident, must comply with MD law. So for instance, let's take a clearly regulated firearm, the AK-47.

If you want to buy an AK-47, and you're a VA resident buying in VA, cash and carry at 18. However if you are a MD resident, you cannot buy one unless you are 21 in VA. So you can't get out of it that way, the sale has to comply with all MD state regulations to happen in VA. <- Federal law specifies that the interstate transaction must be legal in both states.

Fortunately, you can just buy an RPD or a VZ-58 instead.

Mark

Unfortunately its not law, its the leaders of the nazi ****stick political action group known as the MD state police interpreting laws however they feel despite that not being their job. Guess they admire the ATF that much, that they make rulings and count it as law, then enforce it on their own too. Except that unlike the ATF they like to stick their noses in our everyday life.

rmbstyle17

Dec 31, 2008
    Millersville
    it really is quite stupid.

at 18 you can sign up to fight and they'll stick an m16 in your hands.

then when you come home you're told that you cannot buy a semi auto version of the m16 until you're 21.

i know, I recently enlisted in the marines and will be leaving soon...

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Unfortunately its not law, its the leaders of the nazi ****stick political action group known as the MD state police interpreting laws however they feel despite that not being their job. Guess they admire the ATF that much, that they make rulings and count it as law, then enforce it on their own too. Except that unlike the ATF they like to stick their noses in our everyday life.

Actually, you really can't blame this one of the MDSP, you could blame it on the MD legislators and the Feds, but MDSP is blameless on this one. The ATF is the one that states that the transactions must be legal in both states and the MD legislature is the one that created the law for regulated firearms. The AK, unfortunately, is quite clearly the most regulated weapon on the list. Regulated multiple times, just to be sure about it.

While the whole regulated weapon thing is annoying, it is not a ban, so while I think the law is pointless it is not as offensive as an outright ban on a class of commonly used weapons. Unfortunately, it does create a registry of weapons, which is a violation of privacy and has been used inappropriately in the past... (e.g. knocking on doors to inspect every AR-15 in the state for the purposes of solving a crime and considering every who owns such a rifle as a suspect. I have a cock too, am I going to be investigated for every rape in the county?)

Unfortunately, this law, like all other gun control laws does nothing but change the perception of uneducated people that they somehow safer and that these guns have somehow been magically "taken off the streets".

thanks, but no thanks, 50 BMG is easier to come by than 50 beowulf...

Ain't that the truth!!!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom