• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plainolme

Sep 16, 2010
    Severna Park, MD
    I wanted to share something with you guys. I experienced a slide failure on my GSG-1911 last night at the range. I have put at least 3000 rounds through this gun in the year I have owned it. After the last time shooting it, I cleaned and lubed it prior to putting it away. Last night, I had shot about 100 rounds of various ammo (CCI Stinger and mini-mags, rem golden bullets, win super-x) when the slide ruptured. There was a bright flash, the slide cycled and a fresh round was slid halfway into the chamber. Some debris shot back into my face. I got a very tiny cut on my nose, some debris hit my cheeks, and thank god I was wearing glasses (they took the brunt of the damage). Has anyone out there seen this in the GSG-1911? This has been a great little gun, I have really loved it until now. Here are some pics I took immediately after the failure to document the failure, sorry they are cell phone pics and my adrenaline was pumping a little. I will take higher res pics soon. I have already shot and e-mail to see how ATI wants to handle this.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      83.9 KB · Views: 990
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      78.1 KB · Views: 977
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      74 KB · Views: 1,923
    Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    This is why we wear eye protection when shooting. Glad nothing worse happened. Keep us informed, please.

Add: I'm very interested in getting one of these. I'd like to know what caused the ka-boom so I can avoid it.

Pirate

Mar 20, 2010
    I'm sure that company will want that gun. In all of the GSG pistols we have sold this is the first complaint that I have seen. I have not had to send anything back to the company so I'm very interested to see how they handle this. I would expect them to want the gun and fix it weather in warranty or not. There is definately a major flaw here.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Glad you're safe--- My GSG 1911 is starting to "peen" a little bit on the slide catch notch, but other than that no issues. I've got 5000 rounds through mine since June without a hitch...

I had to contact ATI about getting a new rear sight as the plastic threads stripped and would not stay tight. ( The cheap stock sights are my only slight beef with this gun) They had it to me inside a week. Good customer service. I'm sure they'll take care of you. I actually asked them how much various new parts were and the new slide is only $30 and a new barrel only $50--- not that I would expect you to pay for this.....

Keep us posted. Time to go inspect my slide closely!

I'm shocked! A gun made out of cast zinc-alloy parts blew up? But that's never happened before!!! Well, except for Walther P22's and just about every other cast zinc pistol ever made....

I have a Ruger MK II that I've owned since it was given to me when I was 17. In 23 years that gun has at least 75,000 rounds through it, probably more. I have a couple others that are in the 20's-40's , too. None have ever blown up. Was it more expensive? Yes, at least TWICE price (in 1989 dollars) of the GSG. So for double the money, it's lasted 17 times longer...

Sorry you had to find this out the hard way, but there's plenty of evidence out there about zinc guns kabooming. Yours wasn't the first and it will not be the last...

Lesson learned (hopefully), glad you're OK.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    wow i'm glad you're ok.
    contact them asap.
    American Tactical Imports
    100 Airpark Dr.
    Rochester, NY 14624
    Phone - 1-800-290-0065
    Fax - 585-328-4168

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I'm shocked! A gun made out of cast zinc-alloy parts blew up? But that's never happened before!!! Well, except for Walther P22's and just about every other cast zinc pistol ever made....

I have a Ruger MK II that I've owned since it was given to me when I was 17. In 23 years that gun has at least 75,000 rounds through it, probably more. I have a couple others that are in the 20's-40's , too. None have ever blown up. Was it more expensive? Yes, at least TWICE price (in 1989 dollars) of the GSG. So for double the money, it's lasted 17 times longer...

Sorry you had to find this out the hard way, but there's plenty of evidence out there about zinc guns kabooming. Yours wasn't the first and it will not be the last...

Steel and polymer guns blow up too.....

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yikes!!! Good thing you had glasses!

I tend to agree, however, that having the slide itself fail isn't really good news...

Plainolme

Sep 16, 2010
    Severna Park, MD

OK, I get your sarcasm. This wasn't me posting an "Oh whoa is me, my expensive gun failed on me thread" but rather the opposite. This is a popular affordable gun that is half way accurate and fun to shoot, no more no less.
    So you bought a MkII for around $700 in 1989? That equates to over $1250 in todays money from inflation. I am not the smartest guy, but I am thinking someone took a lot of your lunch money on that deal ;)
    I know what you are saying that zinc, zinc alloy, pot metal is not the best choice of metals for a manufacturer to choose in a firearm, but it is what they picked.
    I just wanted to bring a little something to the table and share this experience . Thanks for the input though

I have contacted ATI as of this morning and I am awaiting their response.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    OK, I get your sarcasm. This wasn't me posting an "Oh whoa is me, my expensive gun failed on me thread" but rather the opposite. This is a popular affordable gun that is half way accurate and fun to shoot, no more no less.
    So you bought a MkII for around $700 in 1989? That equates to over $1250 in todays money from inflation. I am not the smartest guy, but I am thinking someone took a lot of your lunch money on that deal ;)
    I know what you are saying that zinc, zinc alloy, pot metal is not the best choice of metals for a manufacturer to choose in a firearm, but it is what they picked.
    I just wanted to bring a little something to the table and share this experience . Thanks for the input though

I love mine and that's all I have to say about that........:innocent0 ( should be read in a Forest Gump voice)

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Looking at your ammo selection there, what do you normally shoot through it?? I'm wondering if the Mini-mags or Stingers can be too hot a round for serious heavy duty extended use... Mine likes the CCI standards I get for $15 for 500 rounds just fine.....

Actually, I didn't buy it at all. It was a high school graduation present from my Grandfather. It cost (then) about $260. Now that model will run about $550-$585 or so, I think.

I was under the impression that the GSG 1911 was in the neighborhood of $320. Or $160 in 1989 dollars, if you prefer. If it was more expensive than that, I'd be super pissed right now if I were you...

I've bought things I later realized I shouldn't have, too. It happens to everyone, live and learn, ya know? Besides, look at the bright side - you may have just saved dozens of people the trouble of finding this out on their own after they purchased one of these things...;)

Hopefully GSG will give you your money back. Then you can add a little more to that and go buy a real 1911 AND a conversion kit for .22. Double-win.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I've had guys shoot mine at the range that said they'd rather have that than their Kimber conversion.... It's all a matter of personal experience.... Name any gun and I can find a negative review of it.... Even Porsche ( or Ford if you like) will have a problem car come off the line occasionally...

Plainolme

Sep 16, 2010
    Severna Park, MD
    Looking at your ammo selection there, what do you normally shoot through it?? I'm wondering if the Mini-mags or Stingers can be too hot a round for serious heavy duty extended use... Mine likes the CCI standards I get for $15 for 500 rounds just fine.....

I am usually running bulk ammo through it. It says it needs to have HV ammo to run correctly. When I do put the hotter rounds through it, its in pretty limited quantities.

Plainolme

Sep 16, 2010
    Severna Park, MD
    Actually, I didn't buy it at all. It was a high school graduation present from my Grandfather. It cost (then) about $260. Now that model will run about $550-$585 or so, I think.

I was under the impression that the GSG 1911 was in the neighborhood of $320. Or $160 in 1989 dollars, if you prefer. If it was more expensive than that, I'd be super pissed right now if I were you...

I've bought things I later realized I shouldn't have, too. It happens to everyone, live and learn, ya know? Besides, look at the bright side - you may have just saved dozens of people the trouble of finding this out on their own after they purchased one of these things...;)

Hopefully GSG will give you your money back. Then you can add a little more to that and go buy a real 1911 AND a conversion kit for .22. Double-win.

OK, Thanks again for the input...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom