• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spfrazierjr

Mar 1, 2013
    I need some comparisons of the XDm grip safety vs the SR1911 beaver tail safety. The only handgun I have shot with one is an XDm and it didn't really bother me much. However, it messed with my father a lot. He was looking at picking up a Ruger SR1911 because he has always liked the looks of them, but is worried he won't like the safety. Anyone have both of them or something similar that can give me a comparison? I know going to try one out at the range would be the best thing to do, but we won't have time for that until mid July. From what I can see the 1911 safety is much wider and is engaged further down in your hand than the XDm.

Thanks,
    Scott Jr

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I'm not a fan of grip safeties myself. If your dad didn't like it on the 1911 he probably won't like it on the XDM either... but the version he shot (SR1911) does have a more pronounced grip safety than most. Any chance you could get him to a gun shop just to fondle an XDM?

If he's not set on the Springfield, there are a ton of other similar poly-framed handguns out there that lack grip safeties. Why that particular brand?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    grip safety shouldn't be an issue if you hold the gun properly. that's why they design it that way.. xdm or 1911.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Bottom line is that 1911grip safety has more for you to "grip".
    Anyone who has experienced any advanced/timed/ shooting classes/drills/real life scenarios knows you don't always get the "perfect shooting grip" every draw. When you have to get rounds downrange quickly, there's no time to adjust for a perfect grip. For me, I like the advantage of the bigger beaver tail because it is more forgiving.

Just my .02

spfrazierjr

Mar 1, 2013
    We shot the XDm. It wasn't that he couldn't engage it, it was that it rubbed the web of his hand raw. He's a mechanic by trade so his hands are tougher than most which is why I was surprised it happened. I'm guessing it's because it is slim on the XDm. Thanks for the help guys.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    We shot the XDm. It wasn't that he couldn't engage it, it was that it rubbed the web of his hand raw. He's a mechanic by trade so his hands are tougher than most which is why I was surprised it happened. I'm guessing it's because it is slim on the XDm. Thanks for the help guys.

I couldn't imagine how it robs his hands raw. I have xdm and never had issue with the grip safety. I typically shoot 200 rounds per range visit. :shrug:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Bottom line is that 1911grip safety has more for you to "grip".
    Anyone who has experienced any advanced/timed/ shooting classes/drills/real life scenarios knows you don't always get the "perfect shooting grip" every draw. When you have to get rounds downrange quickly, there's no time to adjust for a perfect grip. For me, I like the advantage of the bigger beaver tail because it is more forgiving.

Just my .02

I agree but still no issue for me. I've used xdm in matches without issue. Hitting targets is another story. Lol

swahl61

May 19, 2013

That really surprises me. I have an xdm 9 and have put plenty of rounds through it and never experienced that. The only issue I have ever seen with it is my buddy held it high one time and the slide caught him. The one thing I can think of is that the one he shot had the small grip on it. If you buy one it comes with 3 interchangeable back grips depending on you hand. Once you get the one you like, you won't change it again, but the difference between the small grip and the large could make a big difference. It could cause the gun to move around more than it should if he had the proper size grip on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom