• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J

jives11

Greetings,

I'm British and am looking forward to visiting the US in August on vacation with my family.

I was hoping the members of this forum might be able to offer me some advice.

I'd like to take my sons to a range during our visit, and to spend a day shooting. We will be travelling from New York City , spending a few days in Philadelphia, through Baltimore to Washington DC, spending some more days before we fly back.

Probably the most convenient location would somewhere a few hours from Washington, as that is where we will have the most time.

Clearly we will need to find a range that does rental.
    We will have ID (Passports, Driving Licences).
    My sons are 17 & 19. We have some firearms experience, mostly clay pigeon shooting, my youngest son has had some military rifle training with the UK Air Training Corps.

I think, therefore, it is safe to say we are novices but very safety aware ones. Hence we would need instruction.

As this may be the one and only time we get to shoot handguns for the foreseeable future, I'd like a range where, once satisfied with our conduct, we could fire a few iconic American handguns. Ideally including the Colt 1911A1, some of the larger calibre revolvers from Colt and Smith & Wesson and perhaps a revolver in the style of the single action handguns of the late 19th century.

Quite a wish list I concede, but perhaps other members can suggest somewhere that might be good to contact, or that offers this kind of experience.

I emailed the NRA Range at Fairfax, and , while they were extremely friendly and responded immediately , they don't provide rentals.
    They did email me a list of instructors that I could contact, who I could book , can provide firearms for use at the session and use the NRA range. Its certainly an option, but I wonder if there are any other ranges that offer this kind of service that are in the broad area of our visit.

many thanks

Jonathan

tailboardtech

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2011
    upperco
    Welcome! There will be someone with a closer one but if you driving from NY to DC you can stop at Freestate gun range it's right off I 95 in white marsh md. And the Rent all kinds of toys

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Yup Free State in Whitemarsh sounds idea.

Contiental Arms in Cockeysville is another option but many here like Freestate.

I'm not sure any range is going to have everything you listed for rent...and it would also be rather costly.

Another option once you get closer is to ask on here. I'm sure if people are off they wouldnt mind bringing some of their toys to lend you guys and you can rent whatever else you'd like.

parashootman

Dec 7, 2007
    If you wish, you may contact me at www.ccwxd45@yahoo.com. I am a collector and can bring an assortment of firearms with me to the NRA range so you can shoot them and also while your there, you can see the National Firearms Museum next door to the range for FREE!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you go to Baltimore and DC you may experience shooting, although not the type you are interested in.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you go to Baltimore and DC you may experience shooting, although not the type you are interested in.

Oh now, don't say that.

I suspect a lot of people in the UK have the impression we all live in a constant hail of small arms fire here. Truth is I myself haven't shot it out with any desperados all week.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I will defer to the experiences of our more Baltmore centered members as to the merits of FreeState .

However , closer to Washington DC , Sharpshooters in Lorton , Va has available a very wide variety of guns for rental. I know they can handle foreign visitors , because one time while I was there.a group primrily from Germany was shooting , likewise trying out a variety of iconic firearms. They are located 10-15min from the DC Beltway, and less than 30min from Maryland.

Additionally , consider contacting some of the Instructors in our Industry Partners section. I am sure that at several of them could accomadate your family's schedule. Either resulting in NRA certification , customized instruction , or both.

It just struck me tht even before your visit , that your family could take the Maryland State Police. Handgun Saftey Course on line . ( This is the current version of Md's training to be able to purchse handguns.)

As mentioned above , as your travel plans become finalized , let us know here on MDS , and I am sure you will hve multiple offers of members to meet with you either at public ranges , their Clubs , or privte ranges.

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I'll throw in another vote for Free State. I'll gladly let you fire off my 1911, but I can't help you with the vintage revolvers. All I ask in return is a postcard from Clarkson Island.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you wish, you may contact me at www.ccwxd45@yahoo.com. I am a collector and can bring an assortment of firearms with me to the NRA range so you can shoot them and also while your there, you can see the National Firearms Museum next door to the range for FREE!

I as well would be happy to meet you at the NRA Range, where I am a member. I have several 1911's in 45 ACP and 10mm you can shoot and I'll bring the ammo for you. I also have 3 Glocks in 45 ACP and 10mm you can shoot. I also have several Smith and Wesson 10mm semi autos you could shoot too.

PM if and when you'd like to go. Welcome to America.

Last edited:

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    swinokur said:
    I as well would be happy to meet you at the NRA Range, where I am a member. I have several 1911's in 45 ACP and 10mm you can shoot and I'll bring the ammo for you. I also have 3 Glocks in 45 ACP and 10mm you can shoot. I als have several Smith and Wesson 10mm semi autos you could shoot too.

PM if and when you'd like to go. Welcome to America.

I would be in as well. I've never been to the NRA range, but would happy to see the museum and bring a few pistols for our new friend to try. Your lucky to have found this site, people here can be very helpful!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Oh now, don't say that.

I suspect a lot of people in the UK have the impression we all live in a constant hail of small arms fire here. Truth is I myself haven't shot it out with any desperados all week.

Don't make me go borrow the collection of spent bullets a co-worker found in the parking lot.

No, I'm not kidding.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I would be in as well. I've never been to the NRA range, but would happy to see the museum and bring a few pistols for our new friend to try. Your lucky to have found this site, people here can be very helpful!

If you end up going to the NRA Range at a semi-convenient time for me, I can bring a single-action revolver in .45 Colt, a double-action revolver in .357 Magnum, and a couple of Enfields. I don't think there's a soul among us who doesn't have at least one 9mm pistol. Anyone bringing a .22 pistol?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you end up going to the NRA Range at a semi-convenient time for me, I can bring a single-action revolver in .45 Colt, a double-action revolver in .357 Magnum, and a couple of Enfields. I don't think there's a soul among us who doesn't have at least one 9mm pistol. Anyone bringing a .22 pistol?

I don't own a 9MM pistol. Just don't interest me. I do have a few 10mm and 45ACP's however. :D

I think visitors to America should shoot American calibers. :D

:lol2:

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    I don't own a 9MM pistol. Just don't interest me. I do have a few 10mm and 45ACP's however. :D

I think visitors to America should shoot American calibers. :D

:lol2:

This person here is akin to my heart.
    10mm and 45. That's how we roll in MoCo. It's rough out here so we need the man-sized calibers.

Welcome to America. Depends on the mode of travel FreeState is a great range. Close to Baltimore (airport) and if you go to DC you can stop by the NRA Range. Personally, I would do both.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    I was just in London and the Police on Downing Street gate carry Glock 17 9mm and MP5's. That was not your normal Bobby.

Short, Simple and to the point rental place close to DC in Gilberts Indoor Range in Rockville, MD, close to Baltimore would be Continental Arms.

Continental Arms
    9603 Deerco Rd #500
    Timonium, MD 21093

Gilberts Indoor Range
    14690 Rothgeb Dr
    Rockville, MD 20850

Sent from my BlackBerry or iPhone using Tapatalk

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Greetings,

I'm British and am looking forward to visiting the US in August on vacation with my family.

I was hoping the members of this forum might be able to offer me some advice.

I'd like to take my sons to a range during our visit, and to spend a day shooting. We will be travelling from New York City , spending a few days in Philadelphia, through Baltimore to Washington DC, spending some more days before we fly back.

Probably the most convenient location would somewhere a few hours from Washington, as that is where we will have the most time.

Clearly we will need to find a range that does rental.
    We will have ID (Passports, Driving Licences).
    My sons are 17 & 19. We have some firearms experience, mostly clay pigeon shooting, my youngest son has had some military rifle training with the UK Air Training Corps.

I think, therefore, it is safe to say we are novices but very safety aware ones. Hence we would need instruction.

As this may be the one and only time we get to shoot handguns for the foreseeable future, I'd like a range where, once satisfied with our conduct, we could fire a few iconic American handguns. Ideally including the Colt 1911A1, some of the larger calibre revolvers from Colt and Smith & Wesson and perhaps a revolver in the style of the single action handguns of the late 19th century.

Quite a wish list I concede, but perhaps other members can suggest somewhere that might be good to contact, or that offers this kind of experience.

I emailed the NRA Range at Fairfax, and , while they were extremely friendly and responded immediately , they don't provide rentals.
    They did email me a list of instructors that I could contact, who I could book , can provide firearms for use at the session and use the NRA range. Its certainly an option, but I wonder if there are any other ranges that offer this kind of service that are in the broad area of our visit.

many thanks

Jonathan

If you wanted to extend your trip to include New Hampshire we have a number of ranges that offer a wide variety of rentals from handguns to rifles to full auto belt fed machine guns.....as well as instruction to go along with it

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Hidey Ho from SMIBville. The NRA range and museum would be an experience. If you find yourself visiting Southern MD I might be able to get Epps to bring the Gatling and 1919 over. Between him and me we run the firepower gamut. Too bad SCARCQB will be out of the country his collection is ludicrously full auto. Well settle in with some sweet lemonade (official beverage) and enjoy the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom