(graphic pictures) In my backyard the last thing to go through a woodchucks mind.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lotofpez

Feb 10, 2011
    Cumberland
    My grandmother would boill them first to get as much fat and grease off of them as she could. Then she would cook them. Don't remember how they taste thou.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Well, since were posting graphic pics, here's one that I shot this afternoon! Its funny what a .300 Win mag will do to these little critters :innocent0

Sorry for the cell phone pic.

groundhog.jpg
    [/IMG]

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Well, since were posting graphic pics, here's one that I shot this afternoon! Its funny what a .300 Win mag will do to these little critters :innocent0

Sorry for the cell phone pic.

groundhog.jpg
    [/IMG]

I think you just might be somewhat undergunned there; you never know when one of those whistlepigs may charge at you in very close proximity under cover. Very dangerous vermin you're dealing with.:D

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I have not seen any this year either.
    Here is one from the side part of the yard last year. ~70 yard shot to the chest with a .22cal pellet rifle from the upstairs window :innocent0

Slide1.JPG

Slide3.jpg

pappie

Dec 21, 2009
    Pittsville, Maryland
    Critters

I can't shoot here, but I did get mama and one pup today!
    I saw the pups for the first time yesterday, I saw two and the wife says she saw three.
    Something has been tasting my tomato plants without eating what they were nipping off, no tracks?
    Must have been the pups at night!
    I've got a home made rabbit trap out now (in case it is a rabbit),
    and my old #330 trap, from which I took these two!
    (I had to dispatch mama with a shovel).

Crock pot groundhog

1 cut-up groundhog (fat removed)
    1 beef bouillon cube
    1 Tbsp. brown sugar
    3/4 tsp. sage
    salt and pepper to taste
    prepared rice or noodles

Put all ingredients in crock pot (except rice or noodles) with enough water to cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours or until meat falls from bone.
    Remove groundhog.
    Pour liquid into a separate pan and heat to boiling.
    As the liquid heats remove groundhog meat from bone and return meat to pot.
    Mix 1/4 cup cold water and 1/4 cup flour.
    Pour mix into boiling liquid and stir until thick gravy is formed.
    Salt gravy to taste and pour over groundhog meat.
    Stir and serve over rice or your favorite noodles.
    Serves 4-6.

Attachments

• 100_3682_1268x951.jpg
      100_3682_1268x951.jpg
      137.5 KB · Views: 190

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    damn all of you who backyard shoot. it makes me really jealous. DAMN

Well, I'm not really allowed to shoot in my backyard, but as long as i do my part, 1 shot 1 kill, and only use a 22, I haven't run into any trouble. My neighbors yard gets as torn up as mine, so he's glad to see them go, but I have a PETA neighbor across the street, if she only knew that wasn't a firecracker she heard in my backyard :innocent0

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Well, I'm not really allowed to shoot in my backyard, but as long as i do my part, 1 shot 1 kill, and only use a 22, I haven't run into any trouble. My neighbors yard gets as torn up as mine, so he's glad to see them go, but I have a PETA neighbor across the street, if she only knew that wasn't a firecracker she heard in my backyard :innocent0

That's why I use the 60 grain Aguila rounds, fairly quiet shooting inside from 5 ft from the sliding glass door. I got rid of one a month ago in my back yard from 40 yards away. I unfortunately have a couple more in the front yard residing under my neighbors shed 60 yards away with another neighbors house 100 yards behind it so I won't be able to shoot them in that direction.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    my old #330 trap, from which I took these two!
    (I had to dispatch mama with a shovel).

What do you bait the traps with? I bought a trap a few years ago just for this reason but i never used it.

I'd love to give it a try

pappie

Dec 21, 2009
    Pittsville, Maryland
    What do you bait the traps with? I bought a trap a few years ago just for this reason but i never used it.

I'd love to give it a try
    I didn't use any bait, I followed them home and set the trap right over the hole.
    The trap is actually to big, you need a #160 or #220 Conibear.
    The pups were running in and out without hitting the trigger, then one of them messed up!
    The last one set it off yesterday, and I heard it yelp, haven't got him yet!
    I hope he doesn't get my peppers I planted today!

UPDATE: There were (4) pups, 2 med sized, and 2 even smaller. I thought that they had only one litter a year, around April. Weird how she could have 2 pair of different sized pups!
    (A Red Rider will draw blood from a small ones nose as he is peeking out of the hole)!

UPDATE, UPDATE: At 8:05pm Big Daddy came to check in, but he checked out!

Attachments

• 100_3688_1268x951.jpg
      100_3688_1268x951.jpg
      141.6 KB · Views: 141
    Last edited:

Chromantix

Jan 29, 2011
    I have a few acres myself but am nervous about shooting the animals (mainly rabbits and chucks) which tear up some fruit/veggies I've planted.

My solution? A suppressed Sig 522 w/ subsonics. All I have to do now is get the paperwork for the can. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom