• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    Got my MN91/30 hex receiver today off of J&G Sales. I'm so excited and can't wait to shoot it.

it's a Izhevsk (Soviet Union)
    0106_small.jpg

Maybe I was expecting the worst but my God is this thing clean. It's got a few scratches on the stock but nothing I'm going to even bother myself with refinishing it for. The bolt and everything is immaculate. I wasn't able to really look down the barrel to see the condition but I'm expecting since the rest looks great I'm sure that probably will. It came with a few things like the bayonet, sling, ammo pouch, some tools, and something which I have no idea what it is. I didn't even pay the extra $10 for hand pick. I can't imagine what that would have gotten me.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow of everything when I get out of work. The one thing I don't know what it is is COVERED in cosmoline. Its almost like a canteen thing but way smaller with what looks to be two screw caps. Any ideas?

Last edited:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Congrats :thumbsup:
    You're gonna have a bunch of fun with your 91/30.
    Can't stop there, so....what's next???:)

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Get 'em BOTH!!
    You'll save on shipping buying two at once...:D
    (But plan on either cutting up your credit cards or getting a bigger safe...:innocent0)

Congrats again, you'll really like your Mosin.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Congrats! I FINALLY shot my M44 the other day. What a blast! It's definately a head turner at the range. ;)

Haven't shot my 91/30 yet, but I will soon. I just got some non-corrosive Privi ammo for it and am itching to fire it. :)

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    Hex receiver = bad.

What!?!?! That's the most ignorant statement I've heard. The Hex receivers are the older stronger receivers. They were changed to round receivers around 1935 or 1936 to speed up and ease production. Hex receivers are more sought after and less available.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    What!?!?! That's the most ignorant statement I've heard. The Hex receivers are the older stronger receivers. They were changed to round receivers around 1935 or 1936 to speed up and ease production. Hex receivers are more sought after and less available.

I agree that the hex recievers are older and more desireable to collectors, but I'm on the fence regarding "stronger". I'm not sold on that one. I can see them going fromhex to round to speed up and ease production... but does anyone have any facts on the strength issue? I wouldn't imagine there would be that much difference.

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    I agree that the hex recievers are older and more desireable to collectors, but I'm on the fence regarding "stronger". I'm not sold on that one. I can see them going fromhex to round to speed up and ease production... but does anyone have any facts on the strength issue? I wouldn't imagine there would be that much difference.

Well with both there is no issue of failure, but there is more material on a hex therefore making it stronger. I'm not saying the round receiver has more of a chance blowing up in your face. It's just the structure of the metal is stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom