• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gfmgp

Oct 19, 2010
    There's no easy answer to the complex problem of gun violence. I've spent my entire career -- as a prosecutor, city councilman, mayor, and now as governor -- focused on trying to keep families safe and reduce violent crime.

We need a comprehensive approach. That's why in the next few days, I'll unveil a three-pronged strategy focused on gun safety, school safety and mental health.

1.) Gun safety: We should ban military-style assault weapons, limit large ammunition capacity, and require licenses for handgun purchases. We respect the rights of hunters and sportsmen and that's why our licensing requirements will NOT apply to shotguns or rifles.

2.) School safety: We will invest in security upgrades for schools, including cameras at entrances, automatically locking doors, shatterproof glass and buzzer entrance systems. We will also establish a "Maryland Center for School Safety," which will amplify our efforts by gathering meaningful data and serving as a central hub for collaboration between our federal, state and local law enforcement partners.

3.) Mental heath: We will improve data sharing practices between federal and state officials. In addition, we will invest more to improve mental health services so we can intervene early and reduce the potential for violent behavior. We'll expand crisis intervention teams, expand response services and establish a center for excellence on early intervention for serious mental illness.

This is a complex problem and we need a comprehensive approach. I look forward to hearing from you in the days ahead as we work to build a stronger, safer Maryland.

Thank you,

Martin O'Malley

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    There's no easy answer to the complex problem of gun violence. I've spent my entire career -- as a prosecutor, city councilman, mayor, and now as governor -- focused on trying to keep families safe and reduce violent crime.

We need a comprehensive approach. That's why in the next few days, I'll unveil a three-pronged strategy focused on gun safety, school safety and mental health.

1.) Gun safety: We should ban military-style assault weapons, limit large ammunition capacity, and require licenses for handgun purchases. We respect the rights of hunters and sportsmen and that's why our licensing requirements will NOT apply to shotguns or rifles.

So we'd become NY/CA

2.) School safety: We will invest in security upgrades for schools, including cameras at entrances, automatically locking doors, shatterproof glass and buzzer entrance systems. We will also establish a "Maryland Center for School Safety," which will amplify our efforts by gathering meaningful data and serving as a central hub for collaboration between our federal, state and local law enforcement partners.

no mention of armed security... nice... but hey--additional bureaucracy solves everything:sad20:

3.) Mental heath: We will improve data sharing practices between federal and state officials. In addition, we will invest more to improve mental health services so we can intervene early and reduce the potential for violent behavior. We'll expand crisis intervention teams, expand response services and establish a center for excellence on early intervention for serious mental illness.

HIPAA anyone??

This is a complex problem and we need a comprehensive approach. I look forward to hearing from you in the days ahead as we work to build a stronger, safer Maryland.

Thank you,

Martin O'Malley

What a peckerhead...

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Receive the same letter, sent the below in reply. Repeated sending of the below from different people cannot do any harm. Regards, Jack

U.S. National Academy of Sciences:

Those who support more gun legislation should produce at least some authoritative evidence refuting the findings of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences.

“In 2004, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences released its evaluation from a review of 253 journal articles, 99 books, 43 government publications, and some original empirical research. It failed to identify any gun control that had reduced violent crime, suicide, or gun accidents.15

15. CHARLES F. WELLFORD ET AL., NAT’L RESEARCH COUNCIL, FIREARMS AND VIOLENCE: A CRITICAL REVIEW 6–10 (2004). It is perhaps not amiss to note that the review panel, which was set up during the Clinton Administration, was composed almost entirely of scholars who, to the extent their views were publicly known before their appointments, favored gun control.” *

*Source: Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, at page 654, Vol. 30 in an article titled: Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide?

You may need to copy and paste the link into your browser to read the document. http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf

The Harvard article referenced above should be required reading for those who wish to have an informed opinion about Firearms legislation.

maddogthegreatest

Nov 19, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

Oh well... there goes another tax hike.....:sad20:
    Why stop it there?? And Guard dog, barb wire and observation tower....and.. and....:D

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    And you think they won't be pushing for a ban at the national level too? BOHICA.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I suppose "ban military-style assault weapons" gives no leeway for grandfathering in existing rifles?

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Sent:

Sir;

Apparently your office failed to review The FBI Uniform Crime Reports as well as the article in The Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy both of which are minimal required reading for anyone wishing to be informed about the relevant issues.

I am sending the below information for the second time in the hope that someone will take a look and send something other than a form letter in reply.

MURDER USING KNIVES AND RIFLES IN MARYLAND
    ABOUT KNIVES AND RIFLES OF ALL TYPES

IN MD, from 2004 through 2011, rifles were used to murder 31 times, cutting instruments were used 503 times ... 472 more murders than with rifles of all types. (Source: FBI Uniform Crime Reports: Table 20). *

ABOUT SEMI-AUTOMATIC RIFLES
    (Characterized as assault rifles by some)

M1 Rifles have been owned by individuals since 1962. AR-15 Rifles have been owned by individuals since 1963.
    Semi-automatic rifles (as are the above among many others) have been owned by tax paying, law-abiding Americans for over 100 years beginning in 1903 with a Winchester Rifle incorporating a 10 round magazine. The M1 Rifle, incorporating an 8 round magazine, was not adopted by the military until 33 years later in 1936. AR-15 Rifles with a 20 round magazine available were owned by individuals beginning in 1963, 5 years before the M16 Rifle (military “assault” version of the AR-15) was adopted as standard army issue in 1969.

Millions upon millions of semi-automatic rifles are owned by the American people and yet far more murders are committed using knifes than using rifles of all types.

ABOUT HANDGUNS
    Drug legalization, although politically unpopular, would stop much drug related crime which is the actual driver of many, probably most, murder by use of firearms in this country.

You may need to copy and paste the link into your web browser to read the document.

*Master URL to the yearly breakdown:
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s

Regards Jack cooper

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    How about the permit to purchase a handgun? You can bet your ass it will be time consuming, invasive, and for many, prohibitively expensive. Not to mention you're being placed on a "list" (for the tinfoil crowd). In a few years the only people with guns in this state (entire country further down the line) will be politicians and their entourage. They will fear for their lives against a citizenry armed with spoons and bats.

I left NY to get away from this crap, apparently I should have done some research on MOM and his tiny d1ck syndrome first. FML

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I just came into the living room and the wife had the news on. They just walked thru the BS proposals from MOM in detail and talked about Bloomturd and his proposals as well. What a load of crap.

Ryan

gfmgp

Oct 19, 2010
    This crap scares me more at the state level than it does at the federal. MOM will pass anything that other libs talk about..:mad54::mad54:

JmFinksburg

JmFinksburg
    May 15, 2012
    Carroll Co.
    how bout a license to purchase a baseball bat or any other potential implement that could be used for violent crime. Just more politcal grand standing

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom